Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Greystones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Glen Press printing works just off Sidmonton road, owned by a Mr. Johnston.
    They used to print all the posters for the dance halls etc.
    The premises were originally where Hipples Picture house was before the
    1950s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭damianmckeever

Video world was the first video rental place I remember in Greystones. Was run by a real nice older gentleman. I remember losing "Memphis Belle" in the house somewhere between that and a few other things we got our bill up to about 200 punts. He still let us rent videos out though never looked to get the bill reduced.

Also remember when Vino pasta was cooper kettle and then Schooners restaurant.

Dr. Mc Cormick later to become Professor, lived on the Burnaby
    Dr. Mc Enroy on Church road.
    Dr. Finnegan on Trafalgar Road beside La Touche hotel.
    Dentist Burns near the old post office.
    Dentist Thornton on the Blacklion to Delgany road.

The Cherry Orchard in Killincarrig famous for its cherries owned by the Devereux brothers Kevin and Michael. They also ran a garden nurseries there. Maeve Devereux ran the world famous Cherry Orchard tea rooms in Killincarrig.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Hey pixbyjohn, what can you tell me about Eden Road. I rented one of the new houses at the end of the road for a few years and I remember Evans hardware, but I always imagined there were a few stories in those old cottages by the railway tracks.

• Advertisement

The very end 2 storey house was owned by the Pye family,then lived in by Bernie Burke. One of the other houses was owned by the Doyle family as far as I can recall, Frank Doyle in the Doyle and Demery building firm. His brother, Bill Doyle was a well known character around Greystones. And another Doyle brother was an auctioneer who lived on Church road opposite the entrance to Bellevue and Heathervue estate. A Kavanagh family also lived down on Eden road.
    I cannot recall much else at the moment.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    The very end 2 storey house was owned by the Pye family,then lived in by Bernie Burke. One of the other houses was owned by the Doyle family as far as I can recall, Frank Doyle in the Doyle and Demery building firm. His brother, Bill Doyle was a well known character around Greystones. And another Doyle brother was an auctioneer who lived on Church road opposite the entrance to Bellevue and Heathervue estate. A Kavanagh family also lived down on Eden road.
    I cannot recall much else at the moment.

Bernie still lives there--very nice man. Cheers for the other details.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ashmac

hi
    am remembering most of the things you talk about. as far back as pet shop being scuffles, where we bought rubber rings for the hoover.
    anyway, does anyone know about a murder that happened in one of the houses over either IRetons (SP?) or Natures Gold?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dunno about the murder, but what is the story with Iretons? is it still open, if so when does it open and does it actually make any money? Its like a relic from the 1920s.

Can anyone remember Mc Farlands where the AIB bank is now ? also what was the name of the grocery shop where O Briens off licence is now.
    Stanley Stores where Fenton Fires is now

Roches Stores was the name of the shop where O Briens is now but it was further back in off the road

• Advertisement

No. 1 Hillside road was where the The Garden Shop was. Run by Mr. and Mrs. Crabb. They sold lovely fruit and veg.
    After they moved out Eamonn Mc Grane had a TV repair shop there. Then it was demolished and Hills Garage used it as a yard for cars.

Who remembers the siren on Charlie Evans' garage (now Davis Bros ) in Greystones, it used to be heard all over Greystones to signal the firemen to the station. There was also a bell in every fireman's house that rang at the same time.

The Fire Engine was garaged at the side of Mr. Gunnings house in La Touche Place. Des Archer and Charlie Evans were the drivers and Paddy Doyle sat on the back step facing backwards. Paddy had a shoe repair workshop in what is now the Coast Guard station. He also repaired old Wireless radios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Pixbyjohn i think it wouldnt be a bad idea for you to write a history of Greystones! Could be a big seller Christmas 2009;)

The Northern Bank was situated approximately where the Hungry Monk premises is now.

The Northern Bank then bought the house and grounds where Extravision and Pinetos chipper is now. They built the building that is there now with apartmernts on top. The bank occupied one end a Moores supermarket occupied the other end. Noel Henry ( the marathon runner )was the manager of the bank at that time.

The first Council refuse collection in Greystones was done by tractor and specially designed trailer in the 1960s. It was operated by the 2 Sutton brothers of Little Sugarloaf. The council dump was where the concrete batching plant is now at the North beach, Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GEORGEWEB

• Classic memories from the great town..
    • Tony Ward playing for Greystones in the late 80's...nick popplewell in the 90's
    • In the early 90's Huge crowds at All-Ireland league matches on a Saturday at Dr Hickey Park with highlights on Sports Stadium at 5 oclock that evening from an RTE camera on a dodgy shakey stand outside the clubhouse!!!!
    • I think that man who owned video world was Paddy Murphy (not of the pipe smoking, newspaper selling fame from the main st but another absolute gentleman), he also owned the video world shop in Foxrock. Does anyone remember the mens clothes shop located where Brereton carpets are now...circa 1986-1987 called "Masculine"
    • the burnaby 'bar' with only one (male) toilet for a (very) quiet pint...Martin Donoghues shop across the road

And Johnny Murphy playing for Greystones RFC too.
    When John Gorman was the oldest rugby playing member of the club, I think he was still playing club rugby at age 43.

On a Saturday afternoon there were cars parked on the Mill road from Killincarrig to Greystones beach, all rugby fans.

ashmac wrote: »
    hi
    am remembering most of the things you talk about. as far back as pet shop being scuffles, where we bought rubber rings for the hoover.
    anyway, does anyone know about a murder that happened in one of the houses over either IRetons (SP?) or Natures Gold?:eek:

Yes , there was a lady murdered in the apartment over Natures Gold. It was a tragic incident and maybe too sensitive still for some residents.

Does anyone remember the songs that Canon Fennelly taught us as kids ?

Greystones lobsters, Greystones lobsters,
    served with wine, served with wine
    makes a tasty morsel, makes a tasty morsel,
    when we dine, when we dine.

Another one.

You've heard of the Garden of Ireland,
    For proudly of Greystones we boast,
    Greystones Greystones you are the loveliest of all,
    Greystones Greystones you lavish my heart and enthrall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Another one

Is there a chance the pier will bend?
    Not a chance my hindu friend.

Marina......Marina.........Marina.
    Marina Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

Another one

Is there a chance the pier will bend?
    Not a chance my hindu friend.

Apparently the day the Kish (round thing on the end of the pier) was towed in, it wasn't tied up properly and floated off down to Newcastle that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Horatio_78

Haha great thread, enjoying it from the UK. Some more memories...

-St. Kevins being CBS, where the teachers were 'Masters' and gettin 'claimed' in the back lane on the way home.
    -Robbing apples from orchard in same back lane
    -Master Snottser confiscating my Garbage Pail Kid stickers to 'give to his son' (his son must be about 40 now..if he's reading this i want my stickers back)
    -Master Wog teachin the tin whistle & I think Beglie used to do the violin
    -Not being allowed cross the white lines in the yards!
    -Gettin Spider Man tatoos with a chewing gum in La Touche newsagents
    -Eugenes for Fruit Salads & Apple Jacks. And in the good times a 10p bag.
    -The 3 legged black & white dog on Church Road
    -Queueing up for hours for a free show at The Ormonde - think it was 'Willow'.
    -Buying ragworm from Greystones Sports Shop to go fishing off the kish
    -Rugby club having most amazing tree to climb in Greystones - in the corner beside the stream.
    -Being able to hear the crowd when a try got scored from halfway up the town.
    -Days off school back in the time when it used to snow
    -84 A's with bus conductors that had crap machines to print little yellow tickets
    -As well as the diving board, the Mens also had 'The Peak' & 'The Ledge' to dive off, amazed nobody killed themselves there.
    -Sponge tennis balls for football at CBS
    -Having to go to Bray for a swim in a pool & pay the man at the top of the stairs... was it McGary??
    -Par 3 golf course getting built beside the South beach & the 4th hole being savage
    -And the best of course....Laurel & Hardy chips in Jokers. Legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

Ireton should be put under the control of the Office of Public works and preserved as it is now for another 150 years.

I see mention of the legendary Múinteoir Wog above, I heard a rumour he was on some game show a couple of years back and won a few quid. Any news of that great legend of misinformation?

Does anyone remember when Ireton's was Biganes shop and all the doors on Killincarrig road had sun shades on them during the summer to protect the paint.

Horatio_78 wrote: »
    Haha great thread, enjoying it from the UK. Some more memories...

-St. Kevins being CBS, where the teachers were 'Masters' and gettin 'claimed' in the back lane on the way home.
    -Robbing apples from orchard in same back lane
    -Master Snottser confiscating my Garbage Pail Kid stickers to 'give to his son' (his son must be about 40 now..if he's reading this i want my stickers back)
    -Master Wog teachin the tin whistle & I think Beglie used to do the violin
    -Not being allowed cross the white lines in the yards!
    -Gettin Spider Man tatoos with a chewing gum in La Touche newsagents
    -Eugenes for Fruit Salads & Apple Jacks. And in the good times a 10p bag.
    -The 3 legged black & white dog on Church Road
    -Queueing up for hours for a free show at The Ormonde - think it was 'Willow'.
    -Buying ragworm from Greystones Sports Shop to go fishing off the kish
    -Rugby club having most amazing tree to climb in Greystones - in the corner beside the stream.
    -Being able to hear the crowd when a try got scored from halfway up the town.
    -Days off school back in the time when it used to snow
    -84 A's with bus conductors that had crap machines to print little yellow tickets
    -As well as the diving board, the Mens also had 'The Peak' & 'The Ledge' to dive off, amazed nobody killed themselves there.
    -Sponge tennis balls for football at CBS
    -Having to go to Bray for a swim in a pool & pay the man at the top of the stairs... was it McGary??
    -Par 3 golf course getting built beside the South beach & the 4th hole being savage
    -And the best of course....Laurel & Hardy chips in Jokers. Legend!

You must be around my age. All of that rings a bell :)
    Especially:
    Sponge balls for football in CBS (and at least a couple of matches going on at the same time in the same part of the yard!!). If the ball went out over the white line you had to ask the teacher could you get it. The 3 legged dog, the pitch n'putt, swimming in Pres, fishing from the kish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

drag0n79 wrote: »
    If the ball went out over the white line you had to ask the teacher could you get it.

But if you had you foot on the white line it somehow made it alright. Cue stretching as far into bush as possible while still keeping toe on it.

Horatio_78 wrote: »
    I think Beglie used to do the violin

Not quite retired - and I hear he actually makes violins.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Not quite retired - and I hear he actually makes violins.

he's still teaching!? he must be in his 70s.

We were told to buy a tin whistle when were in his class (6th class) - then in the entire year he didn't give us a single tin whistle lesson! We did get to make nail pictures though...

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    he's still teaching!? he must be in his 70s.

We were told to buy a tin whistle when were in his class (6th class) - then in the entire year he didn't give us a single tin whistle lesson! We did get to make nail pictures though...

Ha :) We had a couple of lessons. There must be hundreds of those nail pictures lying in attics all over Greystones! Do you remember he used to give stamps for your homework, and then if you didn't meet the stamp quota by Friday then you would have homework for the weekend. And those quizzes where everyone would stand up around the walls of the room, if you answered wrongly then you sit down, he'd keep going til only a few were left and they'd get extra stamps.

Also had: DOS (O'Sullivan - went on to become principal I think), Cahill (emigrated to Oz at the end of our 4th class), Mrs. Donnelly...

Advertisement