Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-09-2008, 12:26   #1
scoot on

Can you claim the dole if you quit?

A friend is thinking of quitting her job but she's been told that if she quits she won't be entitled to dole money as you only get this if you've been laid off?

Is this right?
Advertisement
29-09-2008, 13:19   #2
Sephiroth_dude
One Winged Angel

I think it would take longer for her claim to come through,where as if she was laid off she would'nt any problem siging on,could be wrong though.
29-09-2008, 13:21   #3
scoot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth_dude View Post
I think it would take longer for her claim to come through,where as if she was laid off she would'nt any problem siging on,could be wrong though.
That's what I thought too.

I thought that you had to wait for a period of time before you claimed but that it would not stop you claiming evenutally.
29-09-2008, 13:22   #4
mikemac
Closed Account

It can delay the claim by up to 9 weeks.
Now if you quit and claim harrasment or bullying, yes your claim can be done straight away.

But if you quit because you don't like it or something simple then the attitude is you left a perfectly good job so don't expect to get dole straight away.
I suppose they have to have something like this.

They can take it on a case by case basis, talk to SW officers
29-09-2008, 13:51   #5
scoot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmclo View Post
It can delay the claim by up to 9 weeks.
Now if you quit and claim harrasment or bullying, yes your claim can be done straight away.

But if you quit because you don't like it or something simple then the attitude is you left a perfectly good job so don't expect to get dole straight away.
I suppose they have to have something like this.

They can take it on a case by case basis, talk to SW officers
Thanks!

That's basically what I thought the situation was.

She wants to give up work to mind her kids full time. So if she quits it'll delay the claim approx 9 weeks but she'll more than likely get it after that?
Advertisement
29-09-2008, 13:58   #6
iPoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot on View Post
Thanks!

That's basically what I thought the situation was.

She wants to give up work to mind her kids full time. So if she quits it'll delay the claim approx 9 weeks but she'll more than likely get it after that?
well that's totally different. to qualify for jobseekers benefit or jobseekers allowance, you need to be actively seeking a job. If she has decided to become a full-time mum, her situation is different, and she won't be on the dole. If she is a single mother, she may well be entitled to some form or welfare.
29-09-2008, 14:09   #7
tricky D
NSAbot

Read these

http://www.welfare.ie/foi/ja_jobseekall.html

Condition: Available for Work

Also
http://www.welfare.ie/foi/jb_jobseekben.html

AVAILABLE FOR FULL-TIME WORK,
GENUINELY SEEKING WORK
29-09-2008, 14:24   #8
scoot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoker View Post
well that's totally different. to qualify for jobseekers benefit or jobseekers allowance, you need to be actively seeking a job. If she has decided to become a full-time mum, her situation is different, and she won't be on the dole. If she is a single mother, she may well be entitled to some form or welfare.
And are you entitled to some benefit as a full time mother? She's not a single mother.
Sorry for all the questions, I know nothing about any of this.

Also, if you're on jobseekers allowance how do they check that you're actively looking for work?
29-09-2008, 14:56   #9
mikemac
Closed Account

Quote:
As others have posted, that's not jobseekers allowance/benefit at all. That's something complety different.
Should have put that info in Post 1

Quote:
Also, if you're on jobseekers allowance how do they check that you're actively looking for work?
Proof you went to interviews, application letters, rejection letters,etc
Advertisement
29-09-2008, 15:08   #10
iPoker

Quote:
And are you entitled to some benefit as a full time mother? She's not a single mother.

how can someone know so little about this kind of thing? if she's married, living with husband, and leaves the workforce to become a single mother, she becomes a dependent of her husband. Unless the family have a very low income, she will not be entitled to any social welfare payments other than childrens allowance, which presumably she's already claiming.
06-10-2008, 14:13   #11
billy the squid

Send a message via Yahoo to billy the squid
Quote:

As a married woman, she would become dependent on her husband and would get no social welfare. He might get extra tax credits though.

They can check if you are actively looking for work by asking you to bring in "we regret" letters from companies you have applied to work for.
29-10-2008, 10:04   #12
niallcass

Does anybody know that if I get fired,can I claim for jobseekers benefit?
29-10-2008, 13:52   #13
Sephiroth_dude
One Winged Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by niallcass View Post
Does anybody know that if I get fired,can I claim for jobseekers benefit?
no,if you get fired for mis conduct then you wont recieve it.

Last edited by Sephiroth_dude; 29-10-2008 at 13:56.
20-04-2009, 22:37   #14
loislane2580

I want to know can i claim?

Hey,

Just noticed this thread and I want some advice. I have just returned to Ireland after living in the UK for 2yrs, I left my job to to health reasons as I found it to hard to cope, as I left my job of my own accord am I entitled to claim? Any help would be much appreciated,

L.
20-04-2009, 22:53   #15
Xiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane2580 View Post
Hey,

Just noticed this thread and I want some advice. I have just returned to Ireland after living in the UK for 2yrs, I left my job to to health reasons as I found it to hard to cope, as I left my job of my own accord am I entitled to claim? Any help would be much appreciated,

L.

If you left your job because it was causing you stress you may be able to claim.

I left a job last year because my employers were essentially expecting me to commit fraud. I went into the social welfare and explained my reasons for leaving and I was allowed to claim jobseeker's allowance. This is before the economy tanked so they're probably a bit more strict these days but if you have a genuine reason for leaving a job and are genuinely looking for another, chances are they will be understanding.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion