Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-09-2008, 14:15   #1

Next Generation Broadband Forum

Hi, Eamon Ryan, Minister for Communications, here. I am holding a consultation forum in Dublin Castle next Tuesday afternoon on my Department’s recent Next Generation Broadband Policy Paper. If anyone is interested in coming along, perhaps you’d email me at minister.ryan@dcenr.gov.ie. Spaces are limited but I'd be happy to welcome the first few respondents along. Look forward to hearing from you, Eamon

Last edited by Eamon Ryan; 24-09-2008 at 14:20.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-09-2008, 17:52   #2
regi
Far, far away...

Send a message via MSN to regi
Merged into a new thread...
25-09-2008, 18:11   #3
derfen

Fack me, that sounds fackin' great. shiat, I'll go.
25-09-2008, 18:15   #4
damien

To confirm, that is Eamon Ryan above. The event on Tuesday will pair off Civil Service people, telco people, consumers and other demographics into small groups where between them they share their opinions on the future of broadband etc. People should sign up to go if they can even with this short notice. It's worth having your voice heard and it will be listened to.
25-09-2008, 20:31   #5

Fair play to Minister Ryan, and all involved in organising this. Great stuff.

I'm not enough of a broadband geek myself to go, but this place of full of them
Advertisement
25-09-2008, 20:39   #6
Thomas-G

Nice to see Ministers joining us at Boards.ie! I certainly hope "the next generation" sort out the lack of broadband in western Ireland sometime soon, a 2kb/s upload rate really is tough when you're uploading 2'600 files!
25-09-2008, 22:49   #7

Welcome to Boards Minister Ryan, hope you'll spend some time dwelling over the threads
25-09-2008, 23:15   #8
vibe666

Send a message via ICQ to vibe666 Send a message via MSN to vibe666 Send a message via Skype™ to vibe666
sounds like a great idea.

I can't see it happening if he wasn't interested in hearing what people have to say.

maybe a mod could collate a list of the questions asked in this thread to be put to the minister at the forum.
25-09-2008, 23:47   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eamon Ryan View Post
Hi, Eamon Ryan, Minister for Communications, here. I am holding a consultation forum in Dublin Castle next Tuesday afternoon on my Department’s recent Next Generation Broadband Policy Paper. If anyone is interested in coming along, perhaps you’d email me at minister.ryan@dcenr.gov.ie. Spaces are limited but I'd be happy to welcome the first few respondents along. Look forward to hearing from you, Eamon
Forget your nextgen how about giving broadband to us people who cant get it first.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-09-2008, 01:38   #10
DECEiFER

Welcome to Boards, Eamon!

I certainly am happy to see a minister posting on a distinguished public forum, such as this.

I can't attend, because I will be stuck in Tralee, but will there be any records or minutes published on the world wide web once the event has taken place?
26-09-2008, 10:09   #11
godskitchen

There is plenty of reading and info on these boards that will tell you how the future of BB in this country should go. Some of the guys on here know more and have better vision than any Telco worker/consultant.

I hope they go along.........we all know who they are.
26-09-2008, 11:13   #12
jbkenn

Mark 9?

For those who are new around here, with high hopes, a little history lesson, and interesting reading

Progress Report on the recommendations made in the Second Report of the Joint Committee - Provision of a national high speed broadband infrastructure
March 2006

AvAilable here http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp...eport_CMNR.doc
To save you the trouble of wading through it here is a summary

List of Members of the sub-Committee on Information Communication Technology

Deputies:
Noel O’Flynn (FF) (Chairman)
Denis O’Donovan (FF)
Fiona O’Malley (PD)
Bernard Durkan (FG)
Tommy Broughan (Lab)
Eamon Ryan (GP)

Senators:
Brendan Kenneally (FF)

Summary of the Recommendations made in the Second Report of the Joint Committee.

The Joint Committee’s Second Report the Joint Committee made 12 recommendations under the three over-arching themes of ‘Planning to succeed’, ‘Market Failure’ and ‘Broadband Usage’.

Under the Theme ‘Planning to succeed’ the Joint Committee made six recommendations:
1. Defines broadband as a service that provides at least 512kb connectivity and sets as a target 5Mps connectivity by 2006 with widely available 10Mps connectivity in 2008 being the further target.

2. Develop a workable national broadband infrastructure plan. The current national broadband infrastructure strategy as detailed in New Connections needs to be updated, a role for the private sector needs to be mapped out and detailed implementation plans, timeframes and responsibilities need to be agreed.

3. Appoint a single Minister of State with cross department responsibility for the rollout of a national broadband infrastructure and the development of e-Government services.

4. Encourage closer co-operation between the Government, the telecoms industry and the end-users of broadband services.

5. Mandate that all national, regional, county and city development plans incorporate the provision of broadband infrastructure with such plans.

6. Ensure that all new developments are ‘future-proofed’ for broadband.

Under the Theme ‘Market Failure’ the Joint Committee made two recommendations:
7. Focus on “bridging of the first mile” as the first key policy issue.

8. Establish the proposed Management Service Enterprise (MSE) to ensure all existing broadband assets are put to full use.

Under the Theme ‘Broadband usage’ the Joint Committee made four recommendations:
9. Introduce measures to widen the ‘reach’ of broadband technologies.

10. Improved broadband access necessitates the skills to make use of it

11. Encourage business to increase their usage of broadband technologies.

12. Fully examine the potential of Government to use broadband.

Very sensible recommendations don't you agree? no rocket science there.

Now, for the Ministers attention, if we call these recommendations the "Mark 1" and NGN the "Mark 9", would'nt your time be better spent implenmenting the "Mark 1", and making real progress now, then at your leisure, your can spend the day wittering on about the "Mark 9" NGN's, Warp Drives and Intergalactic Space Travel.

To those of you attending, enjoy the day, and, witness bull$hit in action

jbkenn
26-09-2008, 11:24   #13
Praetorian

I wasn't expecting this. The country is in a bad way telecommunications wise no matter what the propoganda tells you.

LLU has failed, the regulator is gutless and seemingly toothless and is walked all over by the incumbant. We have to stop counting 3g connections as broadband.

We need to aim high with our NGN solution. FTTH in every development with 50 or more houses. FTTC for the rest in towns and cities and the best we can do for the rest. We should open up the various fibre networks in the country, what is the point in running 3 or 4 networks side by side? Companies should tender for providing fibre to new areas and then the other companies should pay reasonable fees for access. If we put fibre everywhere it’s as future proofed as it can be. If we go for something cheaper it’ll be inadequate before it’s completed. The M50?

We should be aiming for beyond the recession. High tech jobs is where Ireland’s future lies. Regular manufacturing jobs are going to dwindle.
26-09-2008, 11:55   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by godskitchen View Post
There is plenty of reading and info on these boards that will tell you how the future of BB in this country should go. Some of the guys on here know more and have better vision than any Telco worker/consultant.

I hope they go along.........we all know who they are.
Yes, like the 13 year olds who post here who have such an outstanding vision of the industry as a whole.

Not to mention all the back slapping that go one here by the Dublin Mafioso.

Good to see a minister taking the time to post on here and try and look for some balanced input. Hopefully he will get some good views from the few adults that bother anymore to post on here but I suspect the kids will ruin it and will once again make the broadband forum a joke.

Last edited by Magzr; 26-09-2008 at 11:56. Reason: spelling
26-09-2008, 12:11   #15

All,

many thanks for all the replies and input above. We have now reached the maximum number of people that can be accommodated at our event on Tuesday. However, I am delighted to welcome along the people who have already responded and would encourage you all to continue contributing to the debate on this issue.

Best regards,

Eamon Ryan

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion