Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-05-2011, 12:45   #61
coolclogher

Hi Folks,

I have a Stanley Solid solid Fuel stove in my shed for a good number of years, not sure what make ( it is on the small side), is anyone aware of anybody out there that reconditions these stoves? The better half is talking about installing a new one in the living room and I am wondering is it worth looking at.
Any help comments appreciated. I live in Kerry.
Advertisement
18-05-2011, 19:50   #62
NIMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicar1 View Post
hello Folks,
has anyone used a Waterford Stanley Shamrock stove. I have just bought a second hand one, hope to use it for central heating - has anybody used one or know where I might get the instructions ? Thanks!
I recently moved into a 2nd hand house, and have been using the solid fuel stove in the living room for a few months. Was fairly happy with it, but it was old, the enamel was a bit the worse for wear and the glass had a crack in it, so I emailed Waterford to see if they had any info on it or could identify the model.

They were most helpful - I emailed off a photo and last week they identified it as a Shamrock, which is approx 20yrs old !!!

It seems to work quite well, heating quite a few rads in the house, although none of them to a very hot level.

I too am looking for some instructions/technical data on it - did you ever track any down?
18-05-2011, 21:44   #63
vicar1

Hello NIMAN,, got a brochure from Waterford Stanley on the Shamrock stove - it doesn't give the capacity but gives the instructions. If you want a copy send me your email address and I will send one on. cheers
05-09-2011, 21:08   #64
hopelesscase

Spare parts for Charnwood 16B

Hi, I need some spare parts for my Charnwood multi fuel boiler stove, and am trying to find a supplier in Ireland,I am prepared to travel but preferable as near to Dublin as possible
05-09-2011, 21:12   #65
GaryCocs

Send a message via AIM to GaryCocs Send a message via MSN to GaryCocs Send a message via Yahoo to GaryCocs Send a message via Skype™ to GaryCocs
I know this crowd do Charnwood stoves, sound fella easy to deal with and very reasonable. http://www.stovesireland.com/
Advertisement
05-09-2011, 22:19   #66
goat2

Quote:
Originally Posted by varney View Post
Hello All,

Only discovered Boards recently and find it brilliant as a source of valuable advice, especially as it is specific to Ireland.....Keep it up!!

My question(s):
We have an old cottage which over the years has been restored and extended onto. In the old sitting room there's a largeish fireplace which we hope to put a solid fuel stove into. We really need it to heat the water and link into our existing oil fired rads.

I believe there was a new flue put into this fireplace about ten years back, but am not certain. Should it be obvious from shining a torch up the chimney?

Which stove would people recommend for the job? I tried a local fire centre here in Sligo and they dismissed all cast iron stoves as short-lived. The guy informed me that all the Stanley stuff is Chinese and you'd be lucky to get five years out of one. He recommends getting a steel model by and English company called Charnwood.

I've asked around and people seem to agree. Does anyone out there have one, and how do they rate them?

Thanks in advance to all replies.
Michael,.
whoever told you that these stoves are ****e is wrong, i have one of those little multifule stoves in my sittingroom with 20 yrs, it is as perfect as the day i put it in, and i put some scorchers of fires in it over the past twenty yrs, i just bought a beauty lately, at a great price at, www.discountdepot.eu, this place is on the dingle road out of tralee, i found them through the net, and found them to have the best price, i had searched all over
05-09-2011, 22:49   #67
annadoc1

@hopelesscase

hi ya
we fitted a charnwood insert stove last feb, the best buy we ever made. bought it in kilkerrin co.galway. the guys name is gordan he had loads of spare parts. maybe check him out. sorry dont have his number but should be easy to check on the net.
hope it helps
18-09-2011, 13:41   #68
jack12a

Hi annadoc1,
Is the insert stove you fitted a charnwood 20i slx model, I am in the process of purchasing an insert stove and local dealer advised this was one of the best available also most expensive ??, if any one has one of these models fitted I would be grateful for their views on it.
31-12-2011, 18:44   #69
paulinehalpin

Hi, I have a horseflame stove does anyone know excately how to keep the glass clean?

Quote:
Hello All,

Only discovered Boards recently and find it brilliant as a source of valuable advice, especially as it is specific to Ireland.....Keep it up!!

My question(s):
We have an old cottage which over the years has been restored and extended onto. In the old sitting room there's a largeish fireplace which we hope to put a solid fuel stove into. We really need it to heat the water and link into our existing oil fired rads.

I believe there was a new flue put into this fireplace about ten years back, but am not certain. Should it be obvious from shining a torch up the chimney?

Which stove would people recommend for the job? I tried a local fire centre here in Sligo and they dismissed all cast iron stoves as short-lived. The guy informed me that all the Stanley stuff is Chinese and you'd be lucky to get five years out of one. He recommends getting a steel model by and English company called Charnwood.

I've asked around and people seem to agree. Does anyone out there have one, and how do they rate them?

Michael,.
Advertisement
01-01-2012, 01:47   #70
baby builder

The glass on the stove can be cleaned by using the ashes in the grate the next morning.

Basically, you wet some kitchen roll and dab it in the ashes. Then wipe the ashes over the glass and clean with some new kitchen roll. Works fantastically well, promise!

(it's the top tip in the 2012 Moores Almanack)
04-01-2012, 02:02   #71
GY A1

have a stanley here, absolutely brillant
heating the whole house

Quote:
Hello All,

My question(s):

Michael,.
05-01-2012, 23:48   #72
rehab1000

[Quote=varney;57358627]Hello All,

My question(s):

Michael,.[/Quote

Hi Michael.
I am also in Sligo. We dealt with cosey stoves at Duncan island. We have our essie insert stove about two r three years. We love it. Half a bucket of coal will do it for the night, but note there is no back boiler in in. There is a moudle that has the back boiler called green switch. One of the neighbours got one. They like it but obviousely it takes more fuel to heat water abs rads.

These guys done a great job at fitting. They should be able tell u if the chimney is ok.

U will need a good plumber, John Hession from Sligo town is very good, he is hard to get as he is always busy.

Good luck with it.
02-10-2012, 12:21   #73
Maggie Benson

I tried and tested various methods to clean stove glass with little success and a lot of hard work. Finally I found a product which is brilliant for the task called HG stove glass cleaner.
13-10-2012, 09:01   #74
malcolmh

yep - ash from the fire is the best for cleaning the glass - removes it instanly

we fitted a Olyberyl Aiden last week - really please with it - we now have a warm house it can more than handle the 14 radiators we have - doing a better job than the oil and cheaper as well
13-10-2012, 10:21   #75
Poor Uncle Tom

Using smokeless coal keeps the glass clean.
Thread Closed