Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-09-2008, 16:39   #1
JoeBaz

Upgrading with O2 (Pay Monthly)

Hi Everyone,
just checking to see if anyone else has experienced the same problem I have noticed with O2.
I currently use the Sony Ericsson K800i, but it's getting a little shabby looking, so I decided I would get an upgrade.

I checked online a few weeks ago and I was entitled to a "Gold" upgrade, but I didn't have the funds to upgrade at the time.
I checked back a few days ago and have noticed that I am no longer entitled to my upgrade.
I contacted O2 about this and this was their response....

"Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care by email
I’m afraid we can’t offer you an upgrade handset right now as I have checked your account and your 12 monthly spend is approx €---.--

Please find below our upgrade criteria: effective from 8th September 2008

- Silver €1,200 spend in 18 months

- Gold €1,799 spend in the last 6 months

- Platinum €1,800 spend in the last 6 months

- Diamond €2,400 spend in last 6 months"

So as you can see, the criteria for an upgrade has been increased, where you have to spend a tonne of money on your bills in a very short period of time.

I checked my sister and brothers accounts and their upgrades have been removed also. My brother spends over €150 a month on the phone and he was entitled to a "Diamond" upgrade, but now he doesn't have any upgrade.

Can anyone who uses O2, please check into this for their own sake. Let us know if you are being screwed as well.

I can't see this issue as being an isolated case of 3 people. From looking at the figures above, you'd be better off buying a phone Sim Free.

I have sent them another disgruntled email about this and told them I would be more than happy to change Service provider.
As soon as I get a reply I'll send it on.

Thanks,
Joe
Advertisement
12-09-2008, 16:58   #2
brettmirl

Same as yourself. We have our company phones through O2 and a few weeks ago we were entitled to upgrade 2 phones on the a/c and now...nothing!

Shower of cowboys!
12-09-2008, 17:55   #3

If you are outside your contract period and being refused an upgrade then there is nothing stopping you from switching to another provider. Or if you wished to stay with O2 you could always move to pay as you go and then move back to billpay as a "new" billpay customer and avail of whatever introductory offer that entitles you to...
12-09-2008, 17:58   #4
Oryx

Send a message via MSN to Oryx
Or, phone customer services to tell them that you are considering leaving them because of their new upgrade policy. They often have the ability to 'push' an upgrade for you. Or at least they did any time I tried it when I was an 02 customer.
12-09-2008, 18:20   #5
Doctor DooM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBaz View Post

"Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care by email
I’m afraid we can’t offer you an upgrade handset right now as I have checked your account and your 12 monthly spend is approx €---.--

Please find below our upgrade criteria: effective from 8th September 2008

- Silver €1,200 spend in 18 months

- Gold €1,799 spend in the last 6 months

- Platinum €1,800 spend in the last 6 months

- Diamond €2,400 spend in last 6 months"

So as you can see, the criteria for an upgrade has been increased, where you have to spend a tonne of money on your bills in a very short period of time.

I checked my sister and brothers accounts and their upgrades have been removed also. My brother spends over €150 a month on the phone and he was entitled to a "Diamond" upgrade, but now he doesn't have any upgrade.

Can anyone who uses O2, please check into this for their own sake. Let us know if you are being screwed as well.

I can't see this issue as being an isolated case of 3 people. From looking at the figures above, you'd be better off buying a phone Sim Free.

I have sent them another disgruntled email about this and told them I would be more than happy to change Service provider.
As soon as I get a reply I'll send it on.

Thanks,
Joe
I think you may have some mistake there...

There's 1 euro difference between gold and platinum?

AFAIR silver is based on time, not on spend.

I will go find out though.
Advertisement
12-09-2008, 18:37   #6
ongarite

What the hell? I was entitled to upgrade last month when I checked but now I'm not.
Not impressed and not incentive to stay with O2 after 7 yrs if they are pulling this now.
12-09-2008, 18:57   #7
Stokolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongarite View Post
What the hell? I was entitled to upgrade last month when I checked but now I'm not.
Not impressed and not incentive to stay with O2 after 7 yrs if they are pulling this now.
Same as myself.. Was entitled to upgrade a month or 2 ago. went to do it this week and have nothing... I is not impressed either!
12-09-2008, 19:37   #8
grinder23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDooM View Post
I think you may have some mistake there...

There's 1 euro difference between gold and platinum?

AFAIR silver is based on time, not on spend.

I will go find out though.

Silver is based on time

The 1 euro difference should be read like this

between 1200-1799 = gold
between 1800-2400 = platinum
and 2400 or over = diamond
all in last 6 months of course
12-09-2008, 19:40   #9
grinder23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
If you are outside your contract period and being refused an upgrade then there is nothing stopping you from switching to another provider. Or if you wished to stay with O2 you could always move to pay as you go and then move back to billpay as a "new" billpay customer and avail of whatever introductory offer that entitles you to...
Not true they would charge you a reconnection fee unless you were off billpay for 2 yrs and with the reconnection you wouldn't be entitled to any phone offers
Advertisement
12-09-2008, 19:45   #10
Doctor DooM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder23 View Post
Silver is based on time

The 1 euro difference should be read like this

between 1200-1799 = gold
between 1800-2400 = platinum
and 2400 or over = diamond
all in last 6 months of course
Wow thats a big jump, it was 800 for gold when I worked for them.

Sure with decreasing prices who is going to get a platinum, even?
12-09-2008, 19:47   #11
castie
Hosted Moderator

HMod: BAPS
I was told on the phone that a spend of over 700 euro in 12 months would guarantee some form of upgrade. But that was last month. Must ring them and find out.
12-09-2008, 19:48   #12
Doctor DooM

They took away my upgrade.

I'm out of contract.

Oh well O2, if someone doesn't override you just lost me to be honest. 14 months since an upgrade, a spend of 1000 euro...
12-09-2008, 20:11   #13
castie
Hosted Moderator

on the phone right now and hes confirmed i have to wait 6 months.

I agreed to changing plans last month which put me into a new 18 month contract on the basis that i was getting an upgrade on the 30th of sept (the date the old contract was due to end). Ive informed the guy on the phone that I am not very happy at being promised this upgrade only to have this promise be made null and void. I also told him that if I did not either recieve an upgrade or get released from the 18 month contract, i would be in contact with comreg about it. He quickly passed the buck onto the girl who originally promised me it, so he emailed her the details to contact me.

On a side note i asked what was with the increase and i was told by him the reason was that at current rates they would overshoot their upgrade sales targets by over 20,000. He thinks they will come back down again eventually.

That takes the biscuit really to me.
8 years as a customer and to be honest im hoping to get out of the contract rather than an upgrade.
12-09-2008, 20:18   #14
castie
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDooM View Post
They took away my upgrade.

I'm out of contract.

Oh well O2, if someone doesn't override you just lost me to be honest. 14 months since an upgrade, a spend of 1000 euro...

I was told also that at the moment they cant override upgrades anyway.
12-09-2008, 21:12   #15

So they're tightening their belts it would seem. Didn't Meteor do the same recently too?

Give them a couple months, they'll bring them back down again !

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion