Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-08-2008, 21:05   #1
brendor

Sony e-reader

I note that the sony e-reader is coming out in the UK in September - does anyone know if and when it is coming out here? There is nothing on the Sony Ireland website.
Advertisement
07-08-2008, 21:38   #2
eclectichoney

Hmm I'm tempted! Was just going to start a thread. Waterstones on dawson street will have it for €250 on Sept 4th I think.
07-08-2008, 22:55   #3
byte

I've seen that it'll only load ebooks bought in the Sony shop which are in a proprietary Sony format....

Seems as stupid as their first "mp3" players being only able to play Atrac files.
08-08-2008, 12:03   #4
brendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectichoney View Post
Hmm I'm tempted! Was just going to start a thread. Waterstones on dawson street will have it for €250 on Sept 4th I think.
Can i ask where you heard this?
08-08-2008, 12:21   #5
Eoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte View Post
I've seen that it'll only load ebooks bought in the Sony shop which are in a proprietary Sony format....

Seems as stupid as their first "mp3" players being only able to play Atrac files.
Why do they keep doing stuff like this? They really missed the boat with the MP3 players. Now they probably have some of the nicest mini-MP3 players, but it's too late.

They also sold an amplifier for your home cinema that also streamed media from your PC. But the catch was that the PC had to be a Sony. Real shame, as the amp itself was top notch.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-08-2008, 12:35   #6
John_Mc

It's just Sony's business model. Force customers to use their format or accessories, which are always more expensive than the standard.

This approach applies to their Laptops, cameras, mp3 players etc.

I've stopped buying sony since they were caught red handed installing new copyright security additions to windows media player without user consent or permission, which is effectively hacking your computer
08-08-2008, 15:22   #7
brendor

Jesus lads i only want to know when i can buy the thing in Ireland- im not asking you to buy it nor do i particularly care whether or not any of you buy Sony stuff or not!
Thanks from:
08-08-2008, 15:28   #8
Eoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendor View Post
Jesus lads i only want to know when i can buy the thing in Ireland- im not asking you to buy it nor do i particularly care whether or not any of you buy Sony stuff or not!
Nice.
08-08-2008, 16:45   #9
eclectichoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendor View Post
Can i ask where you heard this?
http://eoinpurcellsblog.com/2008/08/...le-in-ireland/
Advertisement
08-08-2008, 18:14   #10
bedlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by byte View Post
I've seen that it'll only load ebooks bought in the Sony shop which are in a proprietary Sony format..
Nope, It has supported 4 different formats since the get go and it now has epub support which should make getting books from 3rd parties a lot easier in the future.

Granted at the moment if you want to buy recently release ebooks you are going to have to go with the drm'd books from the Sony Store. There's also lots of content from Feedbooks if you like the classics as well as access to more modern Creative Commons licensed books.

Personally for anyone looking for a 6" screen eReader, I'd currently recommend the Bookeen Cybook. Very nice machine, incredibly light (almost 85g lighter than Reader) super thin and format wise it supports mobipocket (which you can deDRM) among others whthh epub support forthcoming.

OpenInkPot are working on ports for both devices which will again give users (willing to replace firmware) more choice
Thanks from:
08-08-2008, 20:29   #11
byte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
Nope, It has supported 4 different formats since the get go and it now has epub support which should make getting books from 3rd parties a lot easier in the future.

Granted at the moment if you want to buy recently release ebooks you are going to have to go with the drm'd books from the Sony Store. There's also lots of content from Feedbooks if you like the classics as well as access to more modern Creative Commons licensed books.

Personally for anyone looking for a 6" screen eReader, I'd currently recommend the Bookeen Cybook. Very nice machine, incredibly light (almost 85g lighter than Reader) super thin and format wise it supports mobipocket (which you can deDRM) among others whthh epub support forthcoming.

OpenInkPot are working on ports for both devices which will again give users (willing to replace firmware) more choice
Ah, right. Thanks for clarification.

It was one of 3 eBook gadgets tested on the Gadget Show on five a week or two ago.
11-08-2008, 16:15   #12
Tom

Got one of these last October in the US on the release day of the 505. New firmware has just been released to read PDF's correctly - most of the books I had are in this format - beore the new firmware it was easier to save the PDF as text but now it presents them perfectly.

It is also supposed to work with Adobe Digital Editions - haven't tried this yet. Anyone know any good sites that sell ePub format books to Irish customers?
11-08-2008, 18:47   #13
bedlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Anyone know any good sites that sell ePub format books to Irish customers?
For epub FeedBooks has plenty of free books and you have the choice of a few hundred titles to purchase from BooksOnBoard or eBooks.com.

If you want lrf format Fictionwise has a decent selection and will no doubt support epub in the near future.
11-08-2008, 18:54   #14
Zascar

I'd love to get one of these - for some reason I think I'd use it more than a book.

Can you put any pdf on it that you find online etc, or do you have to buy it from their store etc?
11-08-2008, 19:07   #15
bedlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zascar View Post
Can you put any pdf on it that you find online etc, or do you have to buy it from their store etc?
Any PDF, but depending on the content and layout, it can be a little hit and miss as to the readability, not sure about the Reader but my iLiad allows zooming in documents which can help a lot.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion