Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-06-2008, 18:31   #1

Hibernian Insurance to export 580 Irish jobs to Bangalore, India.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2008/0623/hibernian.html

Hibernian plan to export 580 Irish Jobs.

I plan to canel my Hibernian Policy and give the business to an Irish Company (but not Quinn Direct). I sent a mail to Hibernian. Are there any 100% Irish Insurance Companies?

----------------------------------------------------------------
direct@hibernian.ie

Dear Hibernian Board of Directors,
I heard of your plans today to cut 500 Irish Jobs and export the work to Bangalore in India. Please be informed that I will be cancelling my Policy as soon as I get coverage with another Company.

I won’t do business with you ever again and I don’t support unethical companies who take advantage of people in the Third World. I wish you luck as I think you are going to need it with this very courageous decision,

Regards,

XXX XXXX
Advertisement
23-06-2008, 19:15   #2
dudara
Administrator

Hardly a consumer issue - in the definition we employ here.

Moved to Work & Jobs

dudara

Aviva, Hibernian's parent company will be understaking a major restructuring and streamlining in the UK following a lot of recent acquisitions - maybe this is part of it.
23-06-2008, 19:19   #3
anthony4335

Not yet, but I can only imagine the phone call, when you have a problem. I agree with the original poster, if the companys business is Irish, it should employ in Ireland.
23-06-2008, 19:26   #4
axer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkist View Post
direct@hibernian.ie

Dear Hibernian Board of Directors,
I heard of your plans today to cut 500 Irish Jobs and export the work to Bangalore in India. Please be informed that I will be cancelling my Policy as soon as I get coverage with another Company.

I won’t do business with you ever again and I don’t support unethical companies who take advantage of people in the Third World. I wish you luck as I think you are going to need it with this very courageous decision,

Regards,

XXX XXXX
Lol, that is *good* for india. It is not exploiting them - it is giving them jobs. The more jobs that are available there the higher the wages will climb.

If you solely argued that Irish jobs are being lost then I would agree but not that they are exploiting people in India and not because it is unethical to pay Indians less in India than an Irish person would get in Ireland. Also, you don't even know how much they will be paying the Indians or how they will treat them.

Last edited by axer; 23-06-2008 at 19:30.
Thanks from:
23-06-2008, 19:34   #5
dudara
Administrator

Playing Devil's advocate here, but if you take away your custom, then continuing to employ Irish people becomes even more uneconomical.

These decisions are made at a level where a few cancelled policies won't even be noticed.

Last edited by dudara; 23-06-2008 at 21:31. Reason: sorry - meant to say "uneconomical"
Advertisement
23-06-2008, 19:39   #6
colly10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudara View Post
Playing Devil's advocate here, but if you take away your custom, then continuing to employ Irish people becomes even more economical.

These decisions are made at a level where a few cancelled policies won't even be noticed.
Exactly, it would take 100's of people to cancel before they would be hit at all. Even at that it would probably make up for itself when it comes to the wage bill
23-06-2008, 19:54   #7
the_syco

If you've had a hard time understanding the jibber-jabber of an Irishman, you won't makes heads nor tails from an Indian. The majority of them speak great english, but they don't quite get the language correct. I expect more people will leave because they can't understand the "advisors" as opposed to because they moved out of here...
23-06-2008, 20:07   #8
BuffyBot

Aviva (Hibernian's parent) is cutting jobs worldwide, and moving a load of their back-office work to their already existing centres there. I can't see any reason that Hibernian would be spared anything that it's corporate siblings are having to deal with.

From what I read, customer facing roles (customer service/call-centres) aren't the question but administration, so for the majority of people I don't see that anything will change signifigantly. As for exploiting? You've got to be kidding - the wages don't come close to Irish standards, but that's the point. They're not working children in mud-huts - the jobs tend to be highly sought after, and paid quite well in comparison to the local market. Companies tend to provide quite good facilities there for their employees also.

TBH I don't see there will be all that many "Disgusted of Ballywherever's" will occur, and certainly nothing that'll make Aviva give two hoots either way.
23-06-2008, 21:28   #9
damnyanks

This is just the way of the world. We live in a globalised workplace. You buy things cheaper in shops because its made in a developing economy. If everything was made in Ireland or even the EU then you'd start to notice cost being a lot higher.

As for India being a third world country thats crazy talk. 30 years from now it will be bigger then Europe!
Advertisement
23-06-2008, 21:46   #10
veryangryman

I still agree with the original poster to cancel his policy as a matter of principle.

Globalisation sucks and just because its happening doesnt mean that you should just let it.

Its sad that the insurance market is also starting to go to India too. It was one of the few places remaining where youd actually understand the person at the other end of the phone.
Thanks from:
23-06-2008, 21:50   #11
Raskolnikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffyBot View Post
You've got to be kidding - the wages don't come close to Irish standards, but that's the point. They're not working children in mud-huts - the jobs tend to be highly sought after, and paid quite well in comparison to the local market.
You get what you pay for.

You can get a graduate software engineer from a dodgy agency in Bangalore for roughly E4,000 a year. You might as well piss the money away for the garbage code you'll get. If you want want the work done properly, you'll be looking at about E30,000 a year.

My last employer got stung badly from outsourcing. Foolishly, instead of paying for quality, they went with the cheap option. Even worse, after the Indian failure, instead of considering better quality Indian engineers, they simply rehired Irish workers. Cost them a packet.
Thanks from:
23-06-2008, 21:56   #12

Outsourcing - Cheap but will cost in the long run.

Having worked for a major Irish company who outsourced their IT to India 4 years ago let me tell you that it has been a complete disaster for them. Not only are the cultural differences over the phone causing problems but simple things like spelling names, addresses etc are totally frustrating. Now dont get me wrong, I am as open to free trade as the next guy and I wouldnt be able to offer my services in a second language ....but it seems that accountants make decisions like this based soley on cost. Customer services, technical skills and years of practical experience in the irishg market place are invaluable. Hibernian will regret this....and I dont even have a policy with them, so I dont have an axe to grind...I only have first hand experience of dealing with a "helpdesk" in Bangalore.....
23-06-2008, 22:01   #13
dudara
Administrator

Outsourcing is a valid organisational model for a business to adopt. It is a logical extension to the shared services model and when implemented and entered into correctly, it can bring great benefits to an organisation.

However, as many posters have pointed out, many companies have rushed into outsourcing, without ensuring that solid, efficient processes are in place beforehand along with clear policies and well-defined service level agreements. The result, a lot of ill-will (rightly so in many cases) against outsourcing.

A lot of call centre jobs (Abtran for one) are outsourced within Ireland itself. Some Indian companies have even set up outsourced call centres in Northern Ireland.
23-06-2008, 22:10   #14

From what we've been told, the actual front line call centre work will the least likely to be affected. Hibernian direct is based in Galway and the broker call centre is based in Cork and its Dublin thats going to take the biggest hit.
23-06-2008, 22:13   #15
miju
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_syco View Post
If you've had a hard time understanding the jibber-jabber of an Irishman, you won't makes heads nor tails from an Indian. The majority of them speak great english, but they don't quite get the language correct. I expect more people will leave because they can't understand the "advisors" as opposed to because they moved out of here...
agreed, there have been a few instances when I've specifically not done business with a company as they are a foreign call center.

Nothing to do with racial attitudes etc, just simply , 100% COMPLETELY hated trying to hold a conversation with someone who's "local twang" I couldnt get the jist of

Not with Hibernian but TBH it's the nature of a free economy and more power to them if thats what they wish to do. Not being funny but Irish people will do a stint of "mock revulsion" for a while and then continue on as normal.

Anyone remember Irish Ferries ????

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion