Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

22-06-2008, 23:06   #1
Yakult

Nissan Pulsar VZR

So my savings for a new car has started and roughly will be spending 7000-8000e. Two cars pop into my head straight away, a Nissan Pulsar VZR 1.6 and a Honda Civic Type R.

Im wondering what would be better? In terms of performance and reliability.
Advertisement
22-06-2008, 23:11   #2
Tenzor07

Honda Civic Type R.
22-06-2008, 23:42   #3
S.I.R

Send a message via MSN to S.I.R
the pulsar has been using the same engine for 15 years, would take it over the civic any day as all it is is a hatchback with up-rated cams, tuned ecu and crankshaft.... parts are around... a sport model sunny can be bought for as little as 200 quid and the engine is worth that alone....
e too common and well...

civics are all too common place, therethe idiots way out.... kinda like a blaggers kinda car where you have an ok amount of power, Heeps of understeer and zero torque....

VSR all the way though the earlier uglier GTI-R has more power.... there very expencive to insure....

try to get the vsr in the rare blue...
22-06-2008, 23:56   #4
SV
Closed Account

Get the Civic Type R.

and S.I.R, that might be true for a standard 1.4 civic, it is NOT true for a type R, no way.
Have you ever drove one?
23-06-2008, 00:01   #5
challengemaster

Mate of mine has a pulsar @ ~200 bhp
Advertisement
23-06-2008, 00:18   #6
copeyhagen

ek9 type r are a lovely car to drive imo and have driven one with 200+ brake..serious power
23-06-2008, 01:32   #7
Yakult

Really mixed reviews dammit lol!

around where I live theirs a few ek9 Type R's and they are beasts. theirs 4-5 of them. They are brilliant cars no doubt, I havent yet seen a pulsar in person nor driven one so its kinda one sided that way.

Tho isnt the engine in the Pulsar compared to a vtech. Like Nissans take on it?

Another car I might consider is a Nissan Almera 2L GTI.
23-06-2008, 10:13   #8

Take Sir's advice with a bucket of salt there.......

Theres no comparision between and EK9 and vzr pulsar,possible a vzr N1 but for just a vzr or even a gti almera the EK9 is a winner in every department,there in 2 different leagues with the EK9 miles ahead!

The easiest way for you to decide is to drive both, or all 3,if you can insure the civic go for it
23-06-2008, 10:18   #9
copeyhagen

theres a white pulsar vzr out in jap cars beside kart city, full of cowboys but you will get to see what their like. they had one there last week anyways.

im in the market for a new car myself and its between an ek9, 180sx, silvia or evo 4.

the ek9's vtech is almost as nice as my euro r's, thats why its up there with the tubos
Advertisement
23-06-2008, 12:36   #10
Atomic Pineapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_H_C_P View Post
Really mixed reviews dammit lol!

around where I live theirs a few ek9 Type R's and they are beasts. theirs 4-5 of them. They are brilliant cars no doubt, I havent yet seen a pulsar in person nor driven one so its kinda one sided that way.

Tho isnt the engine in the Pulsar compared to a vtech. Like Nissans take on it?

Another car I might consider is a Nissan Almera 2L GTI.
The Vzr has a two stage cam profile unlike the Ek9 where it has one hard sharp kick and away it goes the Vzr gradually ups the power at the two different stages so its more progressive than VTEC.

The reason the Ek9 is more popular over the Vzr is because its simply in a different league, it handles better, has more power, looks way better, theres alot more performance parts available, its just all round a much better than the Vzr.

You'd have to look at a Vzr N1 which is extremely rare to give it a chance against a Ek9.

I'd go for the Ek9 myself if you can live with them being so common, Have you thought about any of the mitsubishi mivecs??

Last edited by Atomic Pineapple; 24-06-2008 at 20:41.
23-06-2008, 17:02   #11
rALLy

I own a VZR, the blue top engine. There quick and handle well, not too many of them about so thats a plus. I have the 5 door Autech model with the Momo steering wheel etc...

There aint a lot of performance parts out there compared to Civics but the likes of Couture Auto stock decats and full exhaust systems and the suspension and brakes are the same as the Almera GTI so there are plenty of performance parts in that area.
23-06-2008, 19:03   #12
Tenzor07

Have a look at this: http://www.icetronix.com/index.aspx?page=video

There's a video there of a Civic vs. a New Model BMW M5!
The Civic even passes the M5!
23-06-2008, 19:54   #13
Atomic Pineapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzor07 View Post
Have a look at this: http://www.icetronix.com/index.aspx?page=video

There's a video there of a Civic vs. a New Model BMW M5!
The Civic even passes the M5!
Thats a highly tuned car with a K20 engine transplant though, no comparison to a normal civic
23-06-2008, 21:20   #14
Yakult

Quote:
Originally Posted by draffodx View Post
The Vzr has a two stage cam profile unlike the Ek9 where it has one hard sharp kick and away it goes the Vzr gradually ups the power at the two different stages so its more progressive than VTECH.

The reason the Ek9 is more popular over the Vzr is because its simply in a different league, it handles better, has more power, looks way better, theres alot more performance parts available, its just all round a much better than the Vzr.

You'd have to look at a Vzr N1 which is extremely rare to give it a chance against a Ek9.

I'd go for the Ek9 myself if you can live with them being so common, Have you thought about any of the mitsubishi mivecs??
Well I dont really care about how common once its better.

The only Mitsubishi I would be interested in would be an Fto. But I will see how much they would go for.

I'd say I will go for a civic from the way things are looking.

Looking at a few type R's tho,

What does "Spoon" mean? and whats the difference between a Sir and ek9?

Last edited by Yakult; 24-06-2008 at 15:59.
24-06-2008, 19:05   #15
Tenzor07

"Spoon" relates to "SpoonSports" who supply top quality performance aftermarket parts for Honda's

SiR's are Civic's with the 1.6 DOHC Vtec Non-Type-r engines. EK9 is the Honda model name for the 96-00 Civic Type-R.

Have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl8T9KFgjWc
Thread Closed