Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You Don't Think Enough: 1k Post

• 19-06-2008 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭

I've been here for just over a year now, and somehow I've managed to rack up 1000 posts. I'm pretty sure I've progressed a lot since then, and my game, logic and thought process I believe have come on a hell of a lot. The reason for this being my topic for my 1k post though is the fact that some people simply haven't progressed in the slightest from when I joined.

Why do some people seem to get more from boards? Its a pretty simple question really with a simple answer that most people don't like. You are not thinking hard enough. Everybody here is capable of beating 1/2 at the minimum. All you need to do is think.

Everybody here is guilty of not thinking over every post. The vast majority of people here are intelligent, adaptable and thinking players. Do you read over every post, think of the reasoning behind it, and try to understand how the poster got there? How often do you quickly skim through each post in a thread, go back to playing and ignore it all? Even if you do read through it diligently, do you really think about the advice? Do you just take on board that this is what you should have done, while blindly ignoring the reasoning? How many people think through each level on each thread, and try to understand why each piece of advice is given? Do you really think? Do you really take advice on board?

Not to be pessimistic on humanity, but in general people's attitudes really suck. Nobody likes being told that they are wrong and everyone likes the old pat in the back. To truly begin to progress you must be willing to change every single thing that you think about this game. Nearly everyone here has changed a facet of their game at some stage due to advice they don't understand. I went through a faze myself of 3betting 22-77 most of the time due to some advice I read on 2p2. This actually worked really well as most of the regs played really nitty in 3bet pots then, but it took me a long time to figure out that what I was doing was not optimal. Everybody here is guilty of following advice blindly at some stage. THINK!

Think through every post. It doesn't matter whether it is from a 10/20 reg a 1/2 reg or a 1c/2c reg. You must think through each post and make an attempt to understand the thought process behind it. Whether you think i is bad advice or good, read it, and think through it. A post from some random guy/gal with about 10 posts was how I started to understand light 3betting to be honest. I don't think the poster knew what he or she was talking about, but it still started a train of thought. People don't have to explain their line of thought for you to apply it. Just work backwards from the advice to the logic/gameflow/ranges behind it. It is in this way that you will really start poker rather than being a robot. If you properly think about different players posts, whether you believe their advice is worthless or not, you will also start to understand how different players ranges interact differently.

It is through this constant thinking on situations and concepts that you begin to realise the true logic behind them. Once you understand the logic behind concepts, you can apply them, change them mess them up, use them in reverse or whatever you feel like doing.

If you can understand something you can become great. The greats never learned things off by heart.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭pierce hard

first! tl;tr etc

good post tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

Good post, especially for a lot of the newer posters.

Reverse engineering FTW

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Good post,well done on the big 1 k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭DBC2007

very good post. i shall change my ways for the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

It shouldn't bother you so much that other players aren't progressing or learning to think better about the game but it should definitely bother you if the opposite were true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭thechamp87

TommyGunne wrote: »
    Everybody here is capable of beating 1/2 at the minimum.
    I'm sorry but this is just not true.
    Good post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I remember reading a really good post on twoplustwo. Someone had said that forums and all the learning stuff was destroying online poker and the game would be unbeatable for most in the coming years.

Someone else argued thats stuff like forums etc were actually great for keeping the fish in the game. It was soemthing like this.

Fish plays poker - He loses

Fish plays more poker - He loses

Fish plays more poker - Gets lucky and wins some

Fish thinks - Finds poker has some level of skill to it

Fish thinks - Reads stradegy and watches some pro's playing the game

Fish plays more poker - Wins some , loses moooore

Fish thinks - Reads more and more

Fish plays more poker - Mis-applies most of the stuff he learns

Hope you get the gist cause i am off to get pizza

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

thechamp87 wrote: »
    Good post though.

I'm not so sure...I'm far from a good player and I am beating 1/2 (touch wood). There's nothing involved that any reasonably intelligent person can't absorb and regurgitate on the tables. It just involves some dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭davidgti

good post man wd on the 1k looking forward too the next 9k ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Mighty Ducks22

good post tommy. i for one am going to start putting alot more effort into contributing to this forum and trying to improve my game by giving everything i see and read a lot more thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Good post though.

I completely disagree. Beating 1-2 is not that difficult. It requires some effort to learn, read, post, play and have the proper bankroll management but there is nothing fundamentally hard about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

NickyOD wrote: »
    It shouldn't bother you so much that other players aren't progressing or learning to think better about the game but it should definitely bother you if the opposite were true.

Meh its advice. I'd love i nobody took it. I also don't mind giving something back. That's why I posted it.
    Good post though.

Why do you think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

just skimmed through this, looks like a good post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bops

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    just skimmed through this, looks like a good post

lol wp

nice post tommy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭HoLLLLLaments

you are van dicess brother right? u have alligator blood son. you are on e of the future greats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

cooker3 wrote: »
    I completely disagree. Beating 1-2 is not that difficult. It requires some effort to learn, read, post, play and have the proper bankroll management but there is nothing fundamentally hard about it.

A lot of people finding learning the basics and proper br management fundamentally hard.

u have alligator blood son

Alligator Blood

Poker Glossary

Used to describe a player who plays fearlessly when short-stacked and wins, or optionally, a player who plays for a long time short-stacked, winning just enough to keep them in the game. Also can be used to mean the complete lack of concern for other people's well being at the poker table.

I'm no shortstacker! FU!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

wait, your VD's brother?

Alligator Blood

Poker Glossary

Used to describe a player who plays fearlessly when short-stacked and wins, or optionally, a player who plays for a long time short-stacked, winning just enough to keep them in the game. Also can be used to mean the complete lack of concern for other people's well being at the poker table.

I'm no shortstacker! FU!

w/e

u have it man

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kannon

Good post Tommy thanks. I'm definitely guilty of everything you said. you are absolutely right imo. i find that posting helps more than anything because otherwise i find i just tend to scan HH's and advice and assume i understand what's being said, but if i posted advice it would be clear that i am severely lacking in poker knowledge and my advice would be slaughtered but thats what i need to do to improve and learn, and you are so right people (like me) don't think enough or more importantly, they think they are thinking but they aren't really.

ty sir.

• Advertisement

wait, your VD's brother?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

a lot of posts aren't worth thinking over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I've been here for just over a year now, and somehow I've managed to rack up 1000 posts. I'm pretty sure I've progressed a lot since then, and my game, logic and thought process I believe have come on a hell of a lot. The reason for this being my topic for my 1k post though is the fact that some people simply haven't progressed in the slightest from when I joined.

Why do some people seem to get more from boards? Its a pretty simple question really with a simple answer that most people don't like. You are not thinking hard enough. Everybody here is capable of beating 1/2 at the minimum. All you need to do is think.

Everybody here is guilty of not thinking over every post. The vast majority of people here are intelligent, adaptable and thinking players. Do you read over every post, think of the reasoning behind it, and try to understand how the poster got there? How often do you quickly skim through each post in a thread, go back to playing and ignore it all? Even if you do read through it diligently, do you really think about the advice? Do you just take on board that this is what you should have done, while blindly ignoring the reasoning? How many people think through each level on each thread, and try to understand why each piece of advice is given? Do you really think? Do you really take advice on board?

Not to be pessimistic on humanity, but in general people's attitudes really suck. Nobody likes being told that they are wrong and everyone likes the old pat in the back. To truly begin to progress you must be willing to change every single thing that you think about this game. Nearly everyone here has changed a facet of their game at some stage due to advice they don't understand. I went through a faze myself of 3betting 22-77 most of the time due to some advice I read on 2p2. This actually worked really well as most of the regs played really nitty in 3bet pots then, but it took me a long time to figure out that what I was doing was not optimal. Everybody here is guilty of following advice blindly at some stage. THINK!

Think through every post. It doesn't matter whether it is from a 10/20 reg a 1/2 reg or a 1c/2c reg. You must think through each post and make an attempt to understand the thought process behind it. Whether you think i is bad advice or good, read it, and think through it. A post from some random guy/gal with about 10 posts was how I started to understand light 3betting to be honest. I don't think the poster knew what he or she was talking about, but it still started a train of thought. People don't have to explain their line of thought for you to apply it. Just work backwards from the advice to the logic/gameflow/ranges behind it. It is in this way that you will really start poker rather than being a robot. If you properly think about different players posts, whether you believe their advice is worthless or not, you will also start to understand how different players ranges interact differently.

It is through this constant thinking on situations and concepts that you begin to realise the true logic behind them. Once you understand the logic behind concepts, you can apply them, change them mess them up, use them in reverse or whatever you feel like doing.

If you can understand something you can become great. The greats never learned things off by heart.

My head hurts after reading all that, I was with you until the second sentence I think.

I think I disagree with alot of what you say. There is no logic to some peoples play, trying to understand it can take too much time in your life. You only have a finite amount of time to live, don't waste it trying to make sense of absolute tosh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

a lot of posts aren't worth thinking over

About 90% of them Id say. I agree with some of what you say Conor but Id put more empahasis on being selective about the articles, posts and books you read about poker. Im of the opinion that too much theory can be confusing and therefore counter productive. Id disagree with your assertion that we should read every post and try to understand the logic behind it, we should be reading less but of a higher quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

"He who builds from the advice of many will live in a crooked house."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

"He who builds from the advice of many will live in a crooked house."

deep.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

Culchie wrote: »
    My head hurts after reading all that, I was with you until the second sentence I think.

I think I disagree with alot of what you say. There is no logic to some peoples play, trying to understand it can take too much time in your life. You only have a finite amount of time to live, don't waste it trying to make sense of absolute tosh.

Perhaps he means mastering the art of play.As a master he almost certainly thinks thing through and has a stratedgy and If the other player has no stratedgy then he masters that player by playing for him so to speak. By attributing a stratedgy to the other player he can control the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭coillcam

wait, your VD's brother?
    Yeah

Incestuous poker forums ftw

coillcam wrote: »
    Incestuous poker forums ftw
    ERRRRRRRRRRRR OR NOT, TOMMY AND VAN DICE ARE PTOBLY THE COOLESET PEOPLE ON HERE WITH REGGIE AND PHANTOM. TRYING TO IMPLY INCEST IS NOT GOOD, VAN DICE IS ALSO MY BOYFRIEND BTW, MAKES ME BREAKFAst in the morning and everything what a guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement