Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

19-06-2008, 16:59   #1

You Don't Think Enough: 1k Post

I've been here for just over a year now, and somehow I've managed to rack up 1000 posts. I'm pretty sure I've progressed a lot since then, and my game, logic and thought process I believe have come on a hell of a lot. The reason for this being my topic for my 1k post though is the fact that some people simply haven't progressed in the slightest from when I joined.

Why do some people seem to get more from boards? Its a pretty simple question really with a simple answer that most people don't like. You are not thinking hard enough. Everybody here is capable of beating 1/2 at the minimum. All you need to do is think.

Everybody here is guilty of not thinking over every post. The vast majority of people here are intelligent, adaptable and thinking players. Do you read over every post, think of the reasoning behind it, and try to understand how the poster got there? How often do you quickly skim through each post in a thread, go back to playing and ignore it all? Even if you do read through it diligently, do you really think about the advice? Do you just take on board that this is what you should have done, while blindly ignoring the reasoning? How many people think through each level on each thread, and try to understand why each piece of advice is given? Do you really think? Do you really take advice on board?

Not to be pessimistic on humanity, but in general people's attitudes really suck. Nobody likes being told that they are wrong and everyone likes the old pat in the back. To truly begin to progress you must be willing to change every single thing that you think about this game. Nearly everyone here has changed a facet of their game at some stage due to advice they don't understand. I went through a faze myself of 3betting 22-77 most of the time due to some advice I read on 2p2. This actually worked really well as most of the regs played really nitty in 3bet pots then, but it took me a long time to figure out that what I was doing was not optimal. Everybody here is guilty of following advice blindly at some stage. THINK!

Think through every post. It doesn't matter whether it is from a 10/20 reg a 1/2 reg or a 1c/2c reg. You must think through each post and make an attempt to understand the thought process behind it. Whether you think i is bad advice or good, read it, and think through it. A post from some random guy/gal with about 10 posts was how I started to understand light 3betting to be honest. I don't think the poster knew what he or she was talking about, but it still started a train of thought. People don't have to explain their line of thought for you to apply it. Just work backwards from the advice to the logic/gameflow/ranges behind it. It is in this way that you will really start poker rather than being a robot. If you properly think about different players posts, whether you believe their advice is worthless or not, you will also start to understand how different players ranges interact differently.

It is through this constant thinking on situations and concepts that you begin to realise the true logic behind them. Once you understand the logic behind concepts, you can apply them, change them mess them up, use them in reverse or whatever you feel like doing.

If you can understand something you can become great. The greats never learned things off by heart.
Advertisement
19-06-2008, 17:12   #2

first! tl;tr etc

good post tho
19-06-2008, 17:14   #3
coillcam

Good post, especially for a lot of the newer posters.

Reverse engineering FTW
19-06-2008, 17:36   #4
Dub13

Send a message via Yahoo to Dub13
Good post,well done on the big 1 k.
19-06-2008, 17:37   #5
Banned

very good post. i shall change my ways for the better
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-06-2008, 18:17   #6

It shouldn't bother you so much that other players aren't progressing or learning to think better about the game but it should definitely bother you if the opposite were true.
19-06-2008, 18:27   #7
thechamp87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyGunne View Post
Everybody here is capable of beating 1/2 at the minimum.
I'm sorry but this is just not true.
Good post though.
19-06-2008, 18:28   #8
opr

I remember reading a really good post on twoplustwo. Someone had said that forums and all the learning stuff was destroying online poker and the game would be unbeatable for most in the coming years.

Someone else argued thats stuff like forums etc were actually great for keeping the fish in the game. It was soemthing like this.

Fish plays poker - He loses

Fish plays more poker - He loses

Fish plays more poker - Gets lucky and wins some

Fish thinks - Finds poker has some level of skill to it

Fish thinks - Reads stradegy and watches some pro's playing the game

Fish plays more poker - Wins some , loses moooore

Fish thinks - Reads more and more

Fish plays more poker - Mis-applies most of the stuff he learns

Hope you get the gist cause i am off to get pizza

Opr
Thanks from:
19-06-2008, 18:42   #9
zuutroy

Send a message via Skype™ to zuutroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechamp87 View Post
Good post though.
I'm not so sure...I'm far from a good player and I am beating 1/2 (touch wood). There's nothing involved that any reasonably intelligent person can't absorb and regurgitate on the tables. It just involves some dedication.
Advertisement
19-06-2008, 18:50   #10
davidgti

good post man wd on the 1k looking forward too the next 9k
19-06-2008, 19:19   #11

good post tommy. i for one am going to start putting alot more effort into contributing to this forum and trying to improve my game by giving everything i see and read a lot more thought.
19-06-2008, 21:46   #12
cooker3

Quote:
Good post though.
I completely disagree. Beating 1-2 is not that difficult. It requires some effort to learn, read, post, play and have the proper bankroll management but there is nothing fundamentally hard about it.
19-06-2008, 21:48   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyOD View Post
It shouldn't bother you so much that other players aren't progressing or learning to think better about the game but it should definitely bother you if the opposite were true.
Meh its advice. I'd love i nobody took it. I also don't mind giving something back. That's why I posted it.

Quote:
Good post though.
Why do you think this?
19-06-2008, 22:15   #14
Mr.Plough

just skimmed through this, looks like a good post
19-06-2008, 22:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Plough View Post
just skimmed through this, looks like a good post