Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-06-2008, 19:26   #1
hockeygirl

Shopping in New York

Well heading off to New York with my friend on 28th Dec 08 - 5th Jan 09

Im planning on doing some serious shopping

I was in NY 2 years ago but only went to Jersey Gardens and was not impressed. Will defo be heading out to woodbury common this time.

Has anyone here been to NY that time of year and what do you think about Woodbury Common. And what would be the best time to head there etc

Can anyone recommend any other good shopping spots???
Advertisement
15-06-2008, 20:55   #2

Have a read of this short thread, some useful pointers
Thanks from:
15-06-2008, 22:46   #3
Rb
Banned

I was there for the last New Years, didn't bother with Woodbury, it doesn't appeal to me, just went to the normal shops around Manhattan.
16-06-2008, 00:10   #4

I'll hopefully be going over to new york in november with a few friends, where are the best shopping area's apart from woodbury common?
16-06-2008, 00:14   #5

Stop making me jealous with your talk of New York... I want to go so badly.... maybe I'll see what monies might get for my birthday in September and try pop over before Christmas

I want to go... now
Advertisement
16-06-2008, 12:59   #6
MazStar

I LOVE Macy's (34th St). Get your 10% discount card when you bring your passport to customer services.

Also loved Forever 21.

Wasnt that mad about Woodbury Commons to be honest. I think it depends on what your looking for. If you are all about getting designer gear and spending a bit on it (still at a discount price) it would be good but if your like me and just want as much new clothes as possible with brands not mattering too much then I didnt think it was worth the trip.
Thanks from:
16-06-2008, 14:57   #7
creme egg

I was there a few weeks ago. Did not bother with Woodbury common this time. I prefer the shops around manhattan (would be into designer shoes / bags) spent most of my time in Bloomingdales (get your 11% discount card), Saks, Abercrombie...even though I came out with only two things. had to queue to get in there!!! American Eagle, Marc Jacobs, Lulu Guinness
Also went to more unusual places like Penguin, Anthropologie.

Just check out any shops that interest you on-line. You can also subscribe to Woodbury Common mailing list. You get notifications of extra discounts etc.
Thanks from:
16-06-2008, 15:25   #8
Pythia

Hi Hockeygirl, myself and my boyf went from 31 Dec 07 - 8 Jan 08.

I would advise not to go shopping anywhere near Times Square on NYE, you will have to queue to move around as it's being cordonned off for security.

I did NOT like Macy's. would never go back. It's got a bad selection, cheap clothes and unbelievably hot. The staff I found unhelpful too.

We liked American Eagle, Abercrombie, Ruehl and Hollister (not in Manhattan though), Guess, Bloomingdales, Sephora for make up, Saks for designer stuff and Express.

We did not go to Woodbury as I've been there before. It's a bit bargain bin-ish for me. I like the new styles and am prepared to pay a little more.

We decided to take a day trip to the Garden State Plaza Mall in NJ. It was approx 1 hour's bus journey from Port Authority and was something like $3 to get to. There they had everything you'd want, but it was basically empty and everything was in the one place. They also had Ruehl and Hollister which weren't in Manhattan. I would recommend it if you like your nice clothes.

In general the shops were open like normal over that time period, we didn't have any problems. Hope that helps!
Thanks from:
16-06-2008, 22:02   #9
hockeygirl

Thanks for the replies guys really appreciate... sorry for making anyone jealous

I cant wait to go now Im literally counting down the days. I have to do the lotto this week and if I win Im buying an apartment in New Yorkand all thouse who gave me helpful hints are welcome to stay...... IF I win the lotto that is

Ive never been to woodbury common before. Not hugely into designer gear but if the price is right I wont say no. Hopefully its not like TK MAX madness... couldnt handle that at all!

Ive lost 2stone since xmas and should hit my ideal in the next 2mths so anythiung Im buying isnt top quality stuff .... Im saving myself for New York.

I would be a bit curvy through hips and ass. I hoping to get some AG jeans there... supposed to be good for curvy figures and I know they have a discount store there and Joe Jeans are opening there aswell and I have to get a pair of rock republic jeans ... sooooo nice

Will prob spend a shocking amount of money on benefit and mac, also defo buying a designer handbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythia View Post
Hi Hockeygirl, myself and my boyf went from 31 Dec 07 - 8 Jan 08.
We decided to take a day trip to the Garden State Plaza Mall in NJ. It was approx 1 hour's bus journey from Port Authority and was something like $3 to get to. There they had everything you'd want, but it was basically empty and everything was in the one place. They also had Ruehl and Hollister which weren't in Manhattan. I would recommend it if you like your nice clothes.
Pythia where were you for the ball drop? Ive been told to avoiod Times square as its mental?!
Advertisement
16-06-2008, 22:27   #10
Pythia

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygirl View Post
Pythia where were you for the ball drop? Ive been told to avoiod Times square as its mental?!
Yes, but we bought tickets for it. If you wanna go normally, it's pretty horrible. You'd wanna get there about 6pm, there's no toilets and it'll be freezing. We went to TGI Fridays and were let out for midnight.
17-06-2008, 23:40   #11
Loopy

Century 21 and Macys FTW
18-06-2008, 09:08   #12
hockeygirl

Oh my god I am getting seriously excited now!

And Ive months to go yet.

I was in Macys the last time I was in New York and I wasnt impressed. I preferred the Manhatten Mall to Macys and its pretty small but the have a Charlotte Russe there which is good for tops.

The only thing I liked about Macys was that I went to the MAC counter with my firneds and got the works... and then bought the products that were used on us. The girl was great craic. Think her name was tiffiany and she was like queen latifahs twin sister! I swear when I saw her I really thought it was her until I saw her helping a customer.

I think I might try that Garden State Plaza Mall in NJ as reommended by pythia.

See when I was in NY the last time I went with 2 girls who were a nightmare! we were there for 5nites and one of the girls had been a few times so she wouldnt do any sight seeing that u had to pay for and we wouldnt leave her by herself... more fool us... plus she only brought 400€ worth of dollars and spent most of it in the 1st day.

This time Im going with a girl from my old job that Im really good mates with ... shes never been so I'll get to do all the sightseeing I didnt do before. Woohoooo New york here I come.... (in 6months that is )
18-06-2008, 15:53   #13
eefy

my 2c's worth!

for discounted designer clothes that aren't 2 or 3 seasons ago.
has to be loehmanns (IMO). during the summer their selection of sunglasses is unbelievable and during the winter their coats are amazing!
just got a pair of marc jacobs sunglasses for $60
they're on the Upper westside, 2101 Broadway
get the 1 or 2 train from times sq, get off 72nd st. they also have a store downtown, chelsea area, buts its much smaller and not as good.

For shoes (and sometimes bags)
DSW (designer shoe warehouse), they're on union square.
thousands of shoes, rows and rows, great boots in winter and excellent for sandals in the summer.

In the same complex as DSW (I think)
there is a store called Filenes basement
Its similar to loehmanns, does discount designer stuff etc.
Might need to spend time rooting around as it can be a bit of a mess, which can be off putting.
18-06-2008, 20:17   #14
dudara
Administrator

I enjoyed Woodbury Commons and found some great bargains there on a recent trip. Diane von Furstenberg dress for $160, Adidas runners for $45, puma runners for $30, Hilfiger jeans for $45, Guess handbag for $70. Personally, I'm not pushed about current fashion, as long as something suits me, so I snaffled up some great bargains in Woodbury. Additionally, Woodbury is also located at the foot of the Catskill mountains, which should be lovely around Christmas time.

Century 21 is also worth a visit if you're a bargain hunter. Just be prepared for it to be busy.

All of New York is a shopping haven right now for us Irish. Enjoy.
19-06-2008, 10:51   #15
hockeygirl

Wow dudar sounds like you did very well.

I would be the same.... I wouldnt care how out of season it is... if it looks good I'll buy it.

My main aim is to buy a few pairs of designer jeans... am willing to pay the avg $200 per pair (as opposed to €300 in ireland!)

One thing Id love to know is how much the AG Jeans are in the adriano goldschmeid store.

So Im budgeting $1000 for designer jeans.... but if I can get them chaeper all the better ... means I can buy more pairs!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion