Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-06-2008, 21:10   #1
km991148

Electric storage heating

Hi,

Not sure if this in the correct place.. but here goes!

I am considering buying an appartment which has been fitted with (new) electric storage heaters, just wondering if anyone can vouch for them/ what experiences people have;

I remember renting a flat years ago woth them and they were useless, but I reckon they were either very old or the technology has improved since then!

what should I be looking for/ how long do they take from switch on to providing heat/ how cheap(expensive?) are they to run?

Thanks,
km
Advertisement
05-06-2008, 21:36   #2
51fun

i work in the electrical game and unforunately there has been no great advances in terms of storage heating its a very uneconomical way of heating i would always avoid opt for an appartment with gas central heating cos at least you have the option of just putting on the heating for short periods of time where you dont have this option with electric
(3) thanks from:
05-06-2008, 21:54   #3
km991148

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51fun View Post
i work in the electrical game and unforunately there has been no great advances in terms of storage heating its a very uneconomical way of heating i would always avoid opt for an appartment with gas central heating cos at least you have the option of just putting on the heating for short periods of time where you dont have this option with electric
thanks,

thats what I was affraid of.. unfortunately there is no gas supply in the area, however the appartments do have solar water heating which may go some way toward balancing the costs (greatly reduced electricity bill in summer/ very high in winter!)
06-06-2008, 15:02   #4
Stoner

Send a message via Skype™ to Stoner
Storage heating is the cheapest form of heating to install, it also the most difficult to control and pricy.

I'd second 51fun's advice and stay away from it, there are plenty of apartments out there with GFH.

If you are really interested in the unit , you could check to see if the storage heaters are duo type, according to the suppliers they are 30% cheaper to run for the customer. You still have all the control issues though
Thanks from:
06-06-2008, 19:29   #5
fishdog

Quote:
Storage heating is the cheapest form of heating to install, it also the most difficult to control and pricy.
This is very true.

But being in an appartment has advantages when it come to heating, such as:

1) They are generally smaller than a house so you have less space to heat and less = cheaper.

2) Each appartment that yours borders gives it great insulation, so it is quicker to heat and retains the heat for longer.

3) Modern appartments have good quality windows that give great insulation.

For the reasons stated above I would expect you would not have to use them a whole lot to keep your appartment nice and warm (thanks to global warming too!).

Many people now get rid of them and use the supply for the storage heaters to power electric underfloor heating. It give great control, but does not work so well under carpet and even less well under wooden floors! Also underfloor heating can be pricey to install, but it is a super job.

I am not a big fan of storage heaters myself! Just trying to list a few advantages. It would not stop me buying the appartment, but the price would have to be alot less than one with gas fired central heating!

BTW you will have to heat your water electrically too!

Quote:
how cheap(expensive?) are they to run?
You can work out the cost per hour. 1kW for 1 hour = 1 unit on your ESB bill. Check out the unit cost, it is avaiable on line. The rating of each storage heater can be calculated by looking at its size and comparing it to the leaflet that you can get from a wholesaler. Most storage heaters used in Ireland are made by Dimplex. Perhaps you can get the rating on line also.

You should be using your storage heaters at night on the cheaper rate i.e. night storage rate. This would be if you have a dual tariff system, you should check this.

Last edited by fishdog; 06-06-2008 at 19:33.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-06-2008, 21:21   #6
km991148

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdog View Post

1) They are generally smaller than a house so you have less space to heat and less = cheaper.
normally would be the case, but happens to be a large appartment (larger than houses weve been looking at in our price range)!

Quote:
2) Each appartment that yours borders gives it great insulation, so it is quicker to heat and retains the heat for longer.
yep, I had considered this, it is on the top floor sandwiched between 2 others, so maybe not so bad!

Quote:
Many people now get rid of them and use the supply for the storage heaters to power electric underfloor heating. It give great control, but does not work so well under carpet and even less well under wooden floors! Also underfloor heating can be pricey to install, but it is a super job.
hadent even considered this, but there is already wooden floors throughout so I guess it would be a big & expensive job to fit (and loss of heat through the wood..), but may be worth look for the future... I also remembering hearing about new skirting board heating systems which Im going to look into

Quote:
BTW you will have to heat your water electrically too!
yep, I already do this in my current place, so used to the costs, planning hot water etc, the new place offers some relief with solar powered water heating system (in the summer at least!) so I reckon by over paying in the summer it may even itself out..

Quote:
You can work out the cost per hour. 1kW for 1 hour = 1 unit on your ESB bill. Check out the unit cost, it is avaiable on line. The rating of each storage heater can be calculated by looking at its size and comparing it to the leaflet that you can get from a wholesaler. Most storage heaters used in Ireland are made by Dimplex. Perhaps you can get the rating on line also.

You should be using your storage heaters at night on the cheaper rate i.e. night storage rate. This would be if you have a dual tariff system, you should check this.
thanks for this, will need to get another look at the appartment and find out the details,

thanks again,
km
07-01-2009, 11:02   #7
Blackthorn Man

Hi Folks, anyone know where I could pick up 2 storage heaters in good condition. These are needed for a Playschool which only needs to be heated for a few hours in the morning.
07-01-2009, 14:39   #8
10-10-20

Try http://www.dublinwaste.ie/
07-01-2009, 14:44   #9
warrenaldo

I have storage heaters in my appartment and I have no complaints.

My electricity bill is not very expensive and we have them on most of the time.

I wouldnt make it the deciding factor in buying the place. Id prefer not to have them - but since they run mainly at night costs are down.

I turn them off completely in the summer. But for winter its great - they keep the place nice and warm all day long without paying for having heating on all day.

Mine are dimplex - im quite happy with them.
Advertisement
07-01-2009, 17:16   #10
DublinDilbert

A lot of appartments are quite well insulated, and with people living above/below don't require the same amount of heat as a house would, as pointed out above.

They are also used where there is no suitable location for a gas boiler, which can be a common problem in appartments.

Although they use cheaper electricity at night, they will output most of their heat during the next day. Most appartments are empty during the day and don't need any heating, till the following evening when the person comes home from work, so storage heaters aren't very appropriate.
10-01-2009, 11:20   #11
bryan_001

i also have storage heaters in my appartment Devireg 710. on the settings in the fuse board the bottom left light should be green when the heaters are not heating and red when the heating is on. however all day yesterday the light has been flashing red then green. the light never went red last when it should of. can anyone advise?
16-11-2012, 12:26   #12
DavidWilde

try http://www.electricheatersireland.ie for the modern type electric storage heaters, they're a lot different to what they were like even a few years ago.
16-11-2012, 18:32   #13
meercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWilde View Post
try http://www.electricheatersireland.ie for the modern type electric storage heaters, they're a lot different to what they were like even a few years ago.
hi davidwilde
welcome to boards
this thread however is from jan 2009

newbie mistake but dont let that put you off
17-11-2012, 21:02   #14
cast_iron

Some of the claims on that website are simply ridiculous.
Quote:
Electricity is the fuel of the future for heating homes and workplaces. Decline of supplies of North Sea gas, the volatility of oil price and commitment to reduce Ireland’s carbon footprint all point towards electricity as the main fuel of the future.
Electricity isn't a fuel. A fuel is required to generate the electricity. Most Irish electricity is generated using gas.

Quote:
The Irish government has set a target of 40% electricity consumption from renewable sources by 2020, with electricity to be generated by sustainable sources, such as wind power, solar energy, wave power etc. Electric heating is 100% efficient and carbon neutral, and with electricity being generated by renewable sources, it will become completely carbon neutral in the future.
We will not get to a stage any time soon where all electricity will be generated from renewable sources. We simply won't.

Quote:
The government also promotes the use of microgeneration technologies, such as wind turbines, solar panels and photovoltaic. Electric heaters are compatible with all of these technologies. As more low carbon and renewable sources of electricity become available, we will increasingly see electric heating being favoured over gas.
The heater is compatible purely because it has a plug on the end of it. These heaters have nothing to do with renewable energy sources, and that is never a reason for why these heaters are installed.

Quote:
100% energy usage with no energy loss
Yes, like every heating system. None break the First Law of Thermodynamics.
Thanks from:
20-11-2012, 22:12   #15
cottage garden

Electric storage heating in rental apartments

My daughter wants to rent a second floor apartment with two others in a recently renovated house. It ticks all the boxes except the heating system is "modern" electric storage heaters. I am very concerned I will be hit with large ESB bills every two months if she takes this apartment. Can anyone ease my concerns or am I right to be wary???

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion