Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-05-2008, 20:56   #1
sedohre

Help stuck on start up I think its a Permissions problem, not sure though?

Hi everyone, I believe my "Permissions" are the problem.

I let someone change permission settings to share music files wirelessly from their hard drive and mine and another mac (3 in total) yesterday. I seemed to work. I got thier files, and they mine. I can't remember if I then shut down my macbook or just closed it. Anyway last night I was trying to organise the music files and save them to dvd. I also changed the permissions as some of the files were read only. I thought it worked. It seemed to be burning and the screen saver came up, I clicked to exit screen saver and it just went to black for a moment and back to screen saver and i couldn't go any further. I had to hold down the power button to turn it off.

I tried to turn it on and now it's stuck on start up gray screen with the loading wheel thing? just loading forever.

I used disk utility, "verified volume" and "repair disk" are ok, but "verify permissions" and "repair permissions", I get an Error message "the underlying task reported failure on exit"

After reading some posts on Apple Support forums I opened terminal and typed in what a poster said that repaired or reset his permissions,"chmod 775 /Volumes/'Macintosh HD'" and pressed return, Not sure if I should have pressed return or if I should have just closed the window?. Anyway I'm still stuck.

I don't want to try a reinstall as I want to save the music files that I just got yesterday.

I only have the mac since march so I believe I still have phone support, but if anyone can help I'd like to try and sort this out myself and therefore learn more.

Thanks
Advertisement
11-05-2008, 22:33   #2
muggyog

I'm assuming you are running Disk Utility and Terminal from the boot CD?

Before going into Terminal repairs I think you should try starting in Single User mode ( hold apple+S keys on power up till you see text ). Type sbin/fsck -f at the command prompt (root#). The Mac will run off and check your drive (may take a while). When you see root# again, type logout and see if you get a login window.
12-05-2008, 09:26   #3
nialler

if all that fails, disk warrior may be your saviour. I doubt you'll even get to the command line if it's stuck on teh grey screen.
12-05-2008, 11:13   #4
sedohre

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just runing that sbin/fsck -f

It went through all the checking and said
" ** The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.

***FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED****
"

At the root I typed logout

the reply is

"jettisoning kernel linker
resetting IOCatalogue
GFXO: family specific matching fails
display family specific matching fails
matching service count =3
May 12 locaolhost directory service [23] : WARNING -dstouch: file was asked to be opened
"

"may 12 10:55:34 seds-macbook com.apple.launched[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder [451]) posix_spawnp("/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder", ...): No such file or directory"

This line is just repeating itself except the number in [**] keep changing, I presume its refering to different files.

It hasn't stopped yet, going for at least 5 mins now.

HELP

I can't let this run forever, how do I get out of this?

Last edited by sedohre; 12-05-2008 at 11:35.
12-05-2008, 11:30   #5
whiterebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedohre View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm just runing that sbin/fsck -f

It went through all the checking and said
" ** The volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK.

***FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED**** "

At the root I typed logout

the reply is

"jettisoning kernel linker
resetting IOCatalogue
GFXO: family specific matching fails
display family specific matching fails
May 12 locaolhost directory service [23] : WARNING -dstouch: file was asked to be opened"

"may 12 10:55:34 seds-macbook com.apple.launched[1] (com.apple.mDNSResponder [451]) posix_spawnp("/usr/sbin/mDNSResponder", ...): No such file or directory"

This line is just repeating itself except the number in [**] keep changing, I presume its refering to different files.

It hasn't stopped yet, going for at least 5 mins now.

HELP

I can't let this run forever, how do I get out of this?

fsck CAN run for ages. The usual is to keep running it until it is clear and no errors reported. I think it finds one problem, fixes it and finishes. Therefore you have to keep running it to clear each problem as it finds them. Look at the bottom of the disk utility window - Does it verify SMART status?
Advertisement
12-05-2008, 11:40   #6
nialler

try ctrl-c, then type reboot, it's kinda looking like an archive and install is your only option, if you have another mac handy you could throw on a software update and see if that solves your problem, hook your laptop to your other mac via firewire turn laptop on holding the T button you'll see firewire symbol it'll mount on the other mac's desktop and apply the software update to it (downloaded from apple of course).

When you say your friend adjusted ownership, what did he adjust ownership of, was it the Hard Drive or your Home Directory? And you also know that iTunes has sharing?

If your not sharing music and *copying each others* there's a personal filesharing tab under preferences/sharing that you can enable to allow people access to your home directory (remember to change password after).
12-05-2008, 11:43   #7
sedohre

Quote:
fsck CAN run for ages. The usual is to keep running it until it is clear and no errors reported. I think it finds one problem, fixes it and finishes. Therefore you have to keep running it to clear each problem as it finds them. Look at the bottom of the disk utility window - Does it verify SMART status?
When it say's "No such file or directory" I that not an error?

And I just have a black screen with the line I mentioned just repeating itself, I followed what muggyog posted, so I am in single user mode, I see no reference to disk utility window, or verify smart??
12-05-2008, 11:51   #8
whiterebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedohre View Post
When it say's "No such file or directory" I that not an error?

And I just have a black screen with the line I mentioned just repeating itself, I followed what muggyog posted, so I am in single user mode, I see no reference to disk utility window, or verify smart??

Sorry, I put all that badly.

FSCK identitifes the error, and then goes and fixes it.

When booted up from the DVD, and in Disk utility, when you highlight the Volume on the left, at the bottom of the window it says SMART status - This SHOULD show verified.

However, I'd go with the archive & install that has been mentioned - it sounds like the permissions have been buggered up for the home folder which is why it won't let you in.
12-05-2008, 12:11   #9
sedohre

Hi nailler, cntrl+c did nothing, it's still repeating those lines - "No such file....."

My friend, well work aquaintence, changed the permissions , not ownership, to read and write on my hard drive and his I believe, and removed the "everyone", so it just had my name his name and maybe admin and system who had rights, I'm not sure. He removed the "everyone" because we did it wirelessly over a network, and he said anyone could have had access while we were sharing, as there were two other macs there.

He did go into sharing and allowed files to be shared by ticking the box.

I work on contracts basis so I won't see these people for maybe another year.

I still would like to get out of the repeating screen, any help
Advertisement
12-05-2008, 12:19   #10
sedohre

Thanks Whiterebel, I first need to get out of this scrolling message screen. To get to the Disk utility. Secondly I'm not sure how to archive and install, is that on the install disk? and third could I do this to an external hard drive instead of another mac, as the only other friend how has a mac will be afraid I'd feck up his mac, and I wouldn't blame him as I haven't got much of a clue

I need to go out for a few hours so if I don't respond now , I will later, please check back thanks

Last edited by sedohre; 12-05-2008 at 12:21.
12-05-2008, 12:25   #11
whiterebel

If it was me, I'd hold down the power button until it powers off. Then start it again off the install disk. When you go through the installation disk you will see an options button(I think its options) and it will go the choice to archive and install. Bit of a pin moving all your old stuff across to your new user account, but less painful than what you have at the moment, I'd say.
12-05-2008, 12:50   #12
muggyog

It appears that your use of the Terminal was TOO successful in modifying the permissions.

One thing to do before a archive install. Try Single User mode again but this time type 'chmod 775 /' at the command prompt. Then type logout and see does that make any difference.
12-05-2008, 13:16   #13
nialler

There's a myriad of special permissions on the Hard Drive which in reality shouldn't be touched though we're always wise in hindsight. I honestly think at this stage the archive and install option is the only way to go. It will take an hour or two but worth it to recover all your files and applications. One thing though MAKE A BACKUP before proceeding on anything.
12-05-2008, 13:31   #14
sedohre

Do I access "archive and install" and "backup" through the install disk? Can I "archive and install" and "backup" to an external hard drive? or does it mean to another area on the internal hard drive?

Out for a bit, Back again soon thanks
12-05-2008, 14:36   #15
muggyog

Try my option first, you cant lose anything.

"No such file or directory" I believe means that you don't have permissions to read mDNSResponder.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion