Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-03-2008, 11:24   #1
JMGal

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Hi
I ve been asked to make a chocolate biscuit cake for a wedding but its one Ive never made - Ive to make a few samples for the bride to try so I was wondering if anyone has any recipies ! The bride doesnt want any fruit or nuts in it but she mentioned marshmallows Does anyone have any recipes with a twist on the basic chocolate biscuit cake.
Thanks.
Advertisement
20-03-2008, 12:05   #2
Curvy Vixen

I make CBC with just a mix of different types of biccies (choc digestives, hobnobs, ginger nuts and sometimes Jaffa cakes for a twist). Beat them all up but not into fine crumbs in a plastic bag.

Melt some good chocolate, add a little butter and stir the biscuits and marshmallows in. I use those tiny marshmallows you can sprinkle onto hot chocolate. Pack into a lined cake tin.

Put it into the fridge to set. Once it's set, melt some more chocolate and pour over to fill in any gaps. Chill again.

Mmmmmm........

*I haven't put amounts cos it depends on how many biscuits you're going to use as to how much chocolate and marshmallows you'll need.*
20-03-2008, 14:42   #3
JMGal

Thanks for that - Im gonna give it a go tonight and see how I get on
20-03-2008, 14:43   #4
watna
Closed Account

My friend made this for dinner for us the other week and it was gorgeous. She's going to give me the recipe she used anyway so I'll try get it off her tonight/tomorrow and if I do I'll post it up!
20-03-2008, 21:59   #5
LilMrsDahamsta

Send a message via MSN to LilMrsDahamsta
I use Darina Allen's recipe, but with a milkier chocolate, half and half rich tea and digestive biscuits, and glace cherries instead of the nuts. Yummy!!
Advertisement
26-03-2008, 10:08   #6
sweet-rasmus

Send a message via MSN to sweet-rasmus
there was a post about this previously.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055140872
plus there are plenty of recipes on the net for it.
05-01-2009, 10:13   #7
redchef1970

Would CBC be acceptable as one tier of a wedding cake?
Brothers wedding in march and has a serious sweet tooth so was thinkin of using this.
Any comments greatly accepted.
05-01-2009, 13:39   #8
olaola

I had it for my wedding. Cuts great - goes a long way. And tastes fab

My friend made it for me - she puts all sorts of bars in it - Snickers, mars etc. And some dairy milk and cream to get the whole thing moving. Along with cherries and marshmallows.

Last edited by olaola; 05-01-2009 at 13:42.
05-01-2009, 18:44   #9
Birdsong

what would you ice a choclate biscuit cake with as a tier of a wedding cake. thinking of making one myself as part of the wedding cake but icing has being niggling me
Advertisement
06-01-2009, 00:09   #10
lanbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchef1970 View Post
Brothers wedding in march and has a serious sweet tooth so was thinkin of using this.
Any comments greatly accepted.
I used Darina Allens recipie and added marshmallows and lion bars as the bottom tier of my sisters cake and iced it in white chocolate. Best of luck
06-01-2009, 00:32   #11
The Sweeper
Patience, grasshoppa

Send a message via MSN to The Sweeper
Anything's acceptable as a wedding cake these days. I made nearly 300 rice krispie buns using Green & Black's milk, dark and white chocolate for my wedding. When they were all set, I got an enormous platter and, using a small amount of melted chocolate to help cement it together, I stacked them in pyramid tiers of alternating colours. It was messy as hell, but I tell there was precisely NONE of it left over.
06-01-2009, 00:39   #12
csd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdsong View Post
what would you ice a choclate biscuit cake with as a tier of a wedding cake. thinking of making one myself as part of the wedding cake but icing has being niggling me
Mine was covered in a white chocolate ganache - worked well!
06-01-2009, 13:08   #13
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchef1970 View Post
1 tier? the whole thing! Dunno how these are only becoming popular as wedding & christening cakes now. They are very filling and easy to cut etc, they are not as messy as other cakes since people are eating less (and pissed at the time of desert!). If you leave plates of normal cake out many tend to go to waste, they get mashed up and nobody touches them. With these they are sort of like chocolate bars, I have yet to find somebody who doesn't like them too. But also none goes to waste. At recent weddings I got them, the only ones not eating much were girls I know watching their weight, but since it is like a bar it was more acceptable to pass it on (yes I scoffed everybodies), rather than a half eaten slice of normal cake which just seems wrong.

It also lasts very well, it stays fresh for ages as there is nothing really to go stale/hard, like a sponge cake. It is also ideal for wrapping in tinfoil/clingfilm for guests to take home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaola View Post
My friend made it for me - she puts all sorts of bars in it - Snickers, mars etc. And some dairy milk and cream to get the whole thing moving. Along with cherries and marshmallows.
Sounds good, I would go easy on stuff like fruit as some do not like it, maybe make different tiers with smaller tiers having cherries, nuts etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csd View Post
Mine was covered in a white chocolate ganache - worked well!
Good idea, I was going to say very thin icing as most people just pick it off to get to the goodness beneath.
06-01-2009, 13:41   #14
catho_monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minesajackdaniels View Post
Anything's acceptable as a wedding cake these days. I made nearly 300 rice krispie buns using Green & Black's milk, dark and white chocolate for my wedding. When they were all set, I got an enormous platter and, using a small amount of melted chocolate to help cement it together, I stacked them in pyramid tiers of alternating colours. It was messy as hell, but I tell there was precisely NONE of it left over.
INSPIRED!

Did you make them in paper cases, de-case them when set and then stack them?

Last edited by catho_monster; 06-01-2009 at 14:13.
07-01-2009, 14:37   #15
sweet-rasmus

Send a message via MSN to sweet-rasmus
hey, i was leaving mine in the freezer to cool and presumed that it would go very soft if you left it at room temperature. so... does this not happen?!?!? i'm deffo transferring mine to the fridge at least yum yum yum

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion