Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

14-11-2008, 13:20   #121
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyDieter View Post
With regards to your question about Chinese we got a book at the meeting this week about take aways and the lowest in points in the Chinese was Singapore Noodles @ 5-1/2 points
I got a singapore chow mein last week, weighed 800g.
Using this calculator http://points.ogo.ms/
I hit 5.5 points at 370kcal presuming zero fat (and it was fairly greasy)
That means if this was true then it was 46.25kcal per 100g. I would estimate it at 250kcal per 100g though, this is comparing it to supermaret ready meals and the fact that the noodles are much denser, i.e. not boiled to death where they take up lots of water. A single pack of 80-100g dry supernoodles can be 550-600kcal. I would also conservatively estimate 5% fat since it was fried noodles & meat and quite oily, so 40g of fat, and 20g goes in my calculator. So using the same calculator I would estimate 33.5points. I ate this in 2 settings. As I keep saying the portions are massive, so do not go fooling yourself. I know a girl who does order this from the same place as she thinks it is the "best choice" because WW say so. There are far better options to chose, much smaller portions, or just split it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyni View Post
Anyone any idea how many points there are in monkey nuts. Can only find a listing for salted or roasted nuts.
Its about the same, they are simply roasted or not roasted, nuts are very high in fat so will have very high points, even though that does not neccesarily mean they will make you as fat as something with similar points.

i.e. 100g of nuts has around 50g of fat, so I put 25g in the calculator so it will have around 14.5points and ~600kcal. While 600kcal of fizzy drinks has only 8.5 points. And I would guess 600kcal of the fizzy drinks will make you fatter than the nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m'lady View Post
The small little patties of butter are 2.5 points each..crazy amount !!
You have to weigh them and state the brand, otherwise you face the exact same problem as the singapore chow mein, this crazy presumption that all receipes and portion sizes are around the same size.

Last edited by rubadub; 14-11-2008 at 13:24.
Advertisement
15-11-2008, 11:30   #122
Slaygal
Closed Account

Hi Jessie, Theres's a dedicated Weight Watchers thread where everyone is going to WW.
Why don't you join ? I find it a great help for motivation and encouragement.

Congratulation on the birth of your baby and Good luck
28-11-2008, 10:43   #123
Kimia

Chinese - Satay sauce (main)

Hi,

Does anyone know the points in satay sauce? I usually have prawn satay for my main, and I know prawns are ok, but I'm suspecting that satay sauce is not good. I'm thinking if I take the prawns out of the sauce and eat them with boiled rice it would be:

Prawns - 1pt
Half a container of boiled rice - 3pts
Satay sauce (just coating the prawns) - 4-5pts?

Even an estimate would help. Thanks!
28-11-2008, 16:58   #124
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimia View Post
I usually have prawn satay for my main,
Where?

You really have to weigh stuff, even then it is only an estimate at points per 100g. Takeaway portions are massive as I keep saying. Prawns and chicken breast are a good choice. Satay is peanut sauce, high in calories and high in fat, so very high in WW points.
28-11-2008, 18:09   #125
Transform

cosmilk

For the sake of your heart, you should be minimising your intake of saturated and trans fats NOT increasing them.

thats absolutely rubbish!!!

There are tons of studies to show that a diet low in saturated fat is less beneficial to you.

Now i agree fried foods, trans fat, hydrogenated fats are a total waste of time but the likes of using REAL butter, coconut oil, red meat, eggs etc are all beneficial to health.

Whats with all this counting - fat women eat like men and men just bloody eat too much so guysand girls watch your portions

Last edited by Transform; 28-11-2008 at 18:11.
Advertisement
30-11-2008, 16:40   #126
Kimia

at my local chinese. I don't have an exact measurement because I only eat the prawns and they only have a slight coating of the satay sauce on them so I'm just wondering what that would be. I suppose the weight would be 30g maybe? very small amount of satay...
02-12-2008, 19:51   #127
shellybelly08

The points quoted in the WW literature are based on portions nothing to do with weigh...if they were specific to weight it would be mentioned....!!!

I have read all the threads and all you seem to be doing is putting people off... ANyone who has read the WW literature should follow this...OBVIOUSLY..As thats what they are paying for!!
02-12-2008, 22:54   #128
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybelly08 View Post
The points quoted in the WW literature are based on portions nothing to do with weigh...if they were specific to weight it would be mentioned....!!
so what do you measure your "portions" in?

I measure my portions in weight, in the US volumes are common too. The WW points are calculated on fat and calorie content, which has to be weighed.

If you did read my posts you would see my main concern is that many peoples portions are FAR higher than what WW's portions were.

I seriously doubt WW's singapore chow mein weighed 800g, probably 350g. Oh sorry I should say their "portion" was probably under half what the "portion" is in most chinese takeaways here.

If you can't get your head around that then you are probably in the same boat as many are, no idea what portions they should be eating, or how to figure it out.

Rather than putting people off I am pointing out how they could be fooling themselves, and that could be why WW might not work for some. And I am very strongly encouraging people to calculate and weigh their own portions.

From the stickies
Quote:
Originally Posted by g'em View Post
With that in mind, WWers please also take note that as eating plans go, WW is pretty good, but it can be improved and the points system is easily abused. If suggestions are made as to how you can improve your point management, or flaws in the WW system are pointed out in a constructive and practical way, try not to take it as a negative.
I expect most people end up in WW because they have no idea what a correct portion size is.

Last edited by rubadub; 02-12-2008 at 23:02.
04-12-2008, 19:40   #129
shellybelly08

???

Yes i understand weighing portions in relation to the points given in the literature is very important.. But the chinese is quoted points only not in relation to portion weight??

I am doing ww 17 weeks and lost 2 and a half stone using these guidelines and Im assuming their working with these results!

Good to you!
Advertisement
17-12-2008, 11:29   #130
Bernso

Muesli pointage!

Hi there,
i was eating ww brown bread and light cheese, tomato toasted religiosuly for breakfast (2 points).
I started eating cereal recently for a quicker different option.
Got teh Flahavan's high 8 muesli.
It's really nice, no added sugar and totally keeps me going until lunch
BUT
I am totally unsure about the actual points count.
The back says 40gs of muesli and 125mls semi skim = 3 points.
I put skim in it - not that much and have a small bowl but I think it's more than 3.
Buying a scales deffo but could any expert on here hazard a guess as to a small/ medium bowl of sugar free muesli contains?
be very grateful

Last edited by Bernso; 17-12-2008 at 11:33.
17-12-2008, 19:29   #131
Tootsie

You have to get the calories & sat fat to work out the WW points,if you post them I'll work them out on my WW calculator....

I think though 3pts sounds about right for a 30/40g serving.
03-01-2009, 20:00   #132
ladiee24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubadub View Post

I expect most people end up in WW because they have no idea what a correct portion size is.
rubadub can I ask you a question? are you in ww yourself?
04-01-2009, 17:33   #133
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellybelly08 View Post
Yes i understand weighing portions in relation to the points given in the literature is very important.. But the chinese is quoted points only not in relation to portion weight??
This is exactly what I am talking about! They have simply estimated a portion size and calculated accordingly. They say THEIR portion of Singapore noodles is 5.5points. Now look at this post A single packet of low fat koka noodles is 10 points. This is correct when using this calculator http://points.ogo.ms/ those small packs of noodles have huge amounts of calories/points.
Now I don't know what chinese takeaways you have been to, but I get far FAR more than a single pack of koka noodles in a chow mein. And the singapore noodles in my local are definitely fried. And that is only the noodles on their own. Now half a pack of koka noodles is 5points, the singapore is 5.5points. If you got 5.5points worth of noodles in a chinese I would hope you would bring it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernso View Post
The back says 40gs of muesli and 125mls semi skim = 3 points.
I put skim in it - not that much and have a small bowl but I think it's more than 3.
Buying a scales deffo but could any expert on here hazard a guess as to a small/ medium bowl of sugar free muesli contains?
be very grateful
This is a photo of 35g of muesli.

But on the front of the pack it might look like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiee24 View Post
rubadub can I ask you a question? are you in ww yourself?
No, but I do count calories which is very similar concept. My comment was not solely directed at WW members, it think it is true for the majority of overweight people (of which I presume WW members are/were). Most peoples problem is portion sizes, simple as that. Many have no idea how much they should eat. Look at those 2 muesli bowls, it is ridiculous, people are just guessing what they think is alright. I was shocked when I first started weighing my foods. I was eating up to 1000kcal of muesli & milk in a single bowl, probably ~17points.

I am still shocked that nobody has also agreed that chinese portions here are probably bigger than the quoted WW sizes, I really see ignorance to portion size and points calculation as the fundamental problem. And I imagine there are some who do blindly follow strict points and are the same weight or putting on weight and are truly oblivious to the fact they are still overeating. I see the exact same problems with calorie counting too, many sites give estimate of sandwiches, chips etc, and people can have the exact same problems of using estimated portion sizes.

Maybe some WW member could do me a favour and ask the leader what weight they expect the singapore noodles 5.5point portion to be, and also mention the 10point low fat koka noodles.

Last edited by rubadub; 04-01-2009 at 17:38.
Thanks from:
04-01-2009, 18:47   #134
ladiee24

It strikes me that your comments are tinted with a lot of negativity forgive me if I am wrong the problem with non-verbal forms of communication. Yes all points in ww are calculated on the calories & sat fats per portion but in the case of eating out you can of course never know exact points in the ww eating out guide it states points only with no actual quote for a portion size it does however say it is for Chinese Take Away/Eating Out portions. Hence the guide’s name. I know I have never been able to eat a full portion of Chinese be it a curry or chow mein I think the main thought should be if you go for what’s stated in the Eating Out guide as opposed to a curry or the typical high fat content dishes you’ll keep you’re points lower!!

I’d high recommend buying the digital point’s calculator at your next meeting as opposed to using online calculators as the formula for the ww points system is apparently top secret & for about a tenner you can’t really go wrong now can you!

Last edited by rubadub; 04-01-2009 at 20:18. Reason: font details in it.
04-01-2009, 20:28   #135
rubadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladiee24 View Post
It strikes me that your comments are tinted with a lot of negativity
I am simply trying to make people think more, and to be aware of portion sizes. This is nothing specific about WW. As I said calorie counting has the same problem. If somebody started a thread and said they read on a site that a typical takeaway singapore chow mein had only 270kcal then I would give the exact same advice.

Quote:
I know I have never been able to eat a full portion of Chinese be it a curry or chow mein
Exactly, would you have guessed it could possibly be 5.5points?

Quote:
I think the main thought should be if you go for what’s stated in the Eating Out guide as opposed to a curry or the typical high fat content dishes you’ll keep you’re points lower!!
Yes, it is useful for that reason, perhaps they should also just give typical weights.

The problem is that some might be oblivious to portion sizes, and take these guides as gospel. I know a guy who used to get a takeaway every single day. I would not like to think of somebody ignorantly eating 5 times the points/calories they think they are for dinner every single day, and then wondering why the "diet" is not working.
Thread Closed