Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-04-2011, 18:51   #451
bassey
Registered User
 
bassey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_kng View Post
Hi,
I just did it, it's exactly as its supposed to be. An aptitude test. I'm 17, I did it, but I timed myself pretty badly. Took too long on certain things and took me a while to figure out I could skip questions. Just let him have a go and see. As it says on the letter, there's no point in helping him, he'll have to do it again if he gets futher.

Also, does anyone know if you can skip the apprenticeship and go straight to engineering in college. Does it have to be Electrical Engineering and does it have to be in CIT/DIT? I'd rather be do Mechanical Engineering as I want to become an Formula One engineer sooooo badly!!!
No you can't skip straight to college, you wouldn't have a clue what was going on. Yes it does have to be in DIT or CIT and why on earth would the ESB bother sending you off to do mechanical engineering??
bassey is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-04-2011, 21:34   #452
Grannie Annie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Munster
Posts: 72
ESB Aptitude Test 2011

Hi,
Maths are just basic calculations. it's the time allowed that poses a problem. Gool Luck.
Grannie Annie is offline  
18-04-2011, 22:57   #453
ChriisM
Registered User
 
ChriisM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dublin.
Posts: 90
Jesus people, i haven't got around to doing it yet, i was worried about the maths but everyone seems to say its handy enough.
So What are the sections i should watch out for? anything particularly hard?


Cramming Study in for the leaving leaving me tired of anything circular so ive been avoiding it
ChriisM is offline  
18-04-2011, 23:36   #454
HoggyRS
Registered User
 
HoggyRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cork
Posts: 307
I just did there earlier on. Grand altogether.

If you could do pass maths in the Junior Cert then you'll have no problem.
HoggyRS is offline  
19-04-2011, 22:38   #455
stephenk123
Registered User
 
stephenk123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 67
i hope i did well.. the questions with the shape developments was hard
stephenk123 is offline  
Advertisement
19-04-2011, 22:45   #456
kona
Registered User
 
kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: whisky
Posts: 5,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannie Annie View Post
If you are interested in mechanical engineering I think you are completly off track applying to the ESB!
Depends on what part of the company you want to work in. Mechanical Engineering is a far cry from what alot of people, including my careers teacher thought in school.
Theres alot of Thermodynamics and the likes which would be very useful in Powerplants.
kona is offline  
20-04-2011, 23:06   #457
HoggyRS
Registered User
 
HoggyRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cork
Posts: 307
I'd wonder would we hear back quicker about the results than in previous years owing to the fact that the assessment was online this year?
HoggyRS is offline  
21-04-2011, 17:22   #458
Sparky2011
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post
Depends on what part of the company you want to work in. Mechanical Engineering is a far cry from what alot of people, including my careers teacher thought in school.
Theres alot of Thermodynamics and the likes which would be very useful in Powerplants.
If your lookin to do mechanical engineering your going the wrong way im afraid, as Bassey has said you can only do Electrical Engineering and it is in DIT or CIT. Also you must complete the first two years as an apprentice electrician ie. 3 months on job at least, then 20 weeks in a FAS centre doing phase two, and 6 months on job again. Along with all of this you have to complete extra modules and further tests for them to see if you are eligible to do the engineering!

If you are successfull you will start in sept of your third year ( you will already have completed two years as an apprentice electrician!) in either DIT or CIT. However the great part of that is that they will sponsor (pay!) you 300e a week during term time (ie. when you are on summer holidays etc you will not be paid) and they will also pay your registration fees at the start of the year!
Sparky2011 is offline  
21-04-2011, 20:14   #459
Daniel S
Registered User
 
Daniel S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ennis/UL
Posts: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by osullic View Post
No just have a calculator handy.Its just basic multiplication and addition for most of it.
I did it on Saturday and found the maths and verbal handy but was a bit caught for time on some of the other stuff.
All the best with it anyway J.R.
No, don't bring a calculator. That's cheating. It's an aptitude test.
Daniel S is offline  
Advertisement
21-04-2011, 21:02   #460
osullic
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ツ
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_kng View Post
No, don't bring a calculator. That's cheating. It's an aptitude test.
You don't bring anything anywhere its an online test plus they say you can use a calculator.

Heres a quote from the email they sent out

Quote:
You will find it useful to have some paper and a pencil for the tasks and a calculator for numerical assessments. Our best advice on how to approach the tasks is to work both quickly and accurately. If you get stuck on a question, mark your best choice and then move on, avoid wild guessing. You may skip questions if you wish - the instructions before the test explain how to do this.

Please note once you start a task you will not be able to leave it and re-enter. However you can take breaks between tasks.

- The `Shapes' personality assessment is not timed. All other assessments however are timed and the time remaining in each assessment is present on-screen. Instructions and examples are provided with each task. It is imperative that you read and understand these before you start the tasks.
so jog on with your misinformation.

Last edited by osullic; 21-04-2011 at 21:06.
osullic is offline  
21-04-2011, 21:08   #461
Daniel S
Registered User
 
Daniel S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ennis/UL
Posts: 3,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by osullic View Post
You don't bring anything anywhere its an online test plus they say you can use a calculator.

Heres a quote from the email they sent out


so jog on with your misinformation.
Fine, I was wrong.
Daniel S is offline  
21-04-2011, 22:00   #462
kona
Registered User
 
kona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: whisky
Posts: 5,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky2011 View Post
If your lookin to do mechanical engineering your going the wrong way im afraid, as Bassey has said you can only do Electrical Engineering and it is in DIT or CIT. Also you must complete the first two years as an apprentice electrician ie. 3 months on job at least, then 20 weeks in a FAS centre doing phase two, and 6 months on job again. Along with all of this you have to complete extra modules and further tests for them to see if you are eligible to do the engineering!

If you are successfull you will start in sept of your third year ( you will already have completed two years as an apprentice electrician!) in either DIT or CIT. However the great part of that is that they will sponsor (pay!) you 300e a week during term time (ie. when you are on summer holidays etc you will not be paid) and they will also pay your registration fees at the start of the year!
Im basically finished a Mech eng Degree, so I have that under my belt already (finally )
Im just saying that mechanical Engineering wasnt what I or many others expected .
kona is offline  
22-04-2011, 22:07   #463
Sparky2011
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona View Post
Im basically finished a Mech eng Degree, so I have that under my belt already (finally )
Im just saying that mechanical Engineering wasnt what I or many others expected .
Sorry there lad i didnt mean to quote your post at all! yeah they do employ mechanical engineers but that is in E.S.B International and not networks which is the part of the company that deals with the apprenticeship!

Again my bad!
Sparky2011 is offline  
22-04-2011, 22:10   #464
Sparky2011
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_kng View Post
Hi,
I just did it, it's exactly as its supposed to be. An aptitude test. I'm 17, I did it, but I timed myself pretty badly. Took too long on certain things and took me a while to figure out I could skip questions. Just let him have a go and see. As it says on the letter, there's no point in helping him, he'll have to do it again if he gets futher.

Also, does anyone know if you can skip the apprenticeship and go straight to engineering in college. Does it have to be Electrical Engineering and does it have to be in CIT/DIT? I'd rather be do Mechanical Engineering as I want to become an Formula One engineer sooooo badly!!!
If your lookin to do mechanical engineering your going the wrong way im afraid, as Bassey has said you can only do Electrical Engineering and it is in DIT or CIT. Also you must complete the first two years as an apprentice electrician ie. 3 months on job at least, then 20 weeks in a FAS centre doing phase two, and 6 months on job again. Along with all of this you have to complete extra modules and further tests for them to see if you are eligible to do the engineering!

If you are successfull you will start in sept of your third year ( you will already have completed two years as an apprentice electrician!) in either DIT or CIT. However the great part of that is that they will sponsor (pay!) you 300e a week during term time (ie. when you are on summer holidays etc you will not be paid) and they will also pay your registration fees at the start of the year!!
Sparky2011 is offline  
25-04-2011, 11:33   #465
perseus123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Hi lads, I applied for this apprenticeship also and have done the aptitude tests. They went well, I think. I am currently completing an arts degree at university, which I intend on doing nothing out of it. An apprenticeship I feel is the right path for me. I'm just wondering if this degree is worth any brownie points as regards selection for this apprenticeship and/or the engineering degree option?
perseus123 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet