Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Timing belt change on Mark 4 Golf

• 24-01-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Quick Question I have a mark 4 GTI golf . My question is does anybody know exactly when the belt should be changed. I have a full service history with the car and it hasnt been done as far as I can see . I rang the VW garage up that most of the services had been done at and they said it doesent have to be done till 120,000 miles ?? Is this correct currently the car has 84,000.

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Should be done every 60k according to the VW dealer that i bought my MkIV Golf from

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

yeah my mark iv's belt was chnaged at 60k i think thats the norm anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

rocco wrote: »
    I rang the VW garage up that most of the services had been done at and they said it doesent have to be done till 120,000 miles ?? Is this correct currently the car has 84,000.

Cheers

I wouldn't let it get anywhere near 120,000 before a change. I had a 2001 Astra with 74,000 and the belt went on me... Put it this way, It wasn't pretty!!

Cost a shed load to get fixed... 13 of the 16 valves were busted. I was lucky the pistons didn't launch out through the cylinder head!!!!

Cost over 2500 euro to get the car back on the road.... New cylinder head, valves, 1 piston, head gasket, and 2 weeks off the road....

For the sake of a few hundred quid, get it done now!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It is confusing as your manual probably says 120k miles also. I'm just about to get mine done on my A4 (same engine as yours) and I'm at just over 60k miles.

I checked the manual and it says it should be replaced at 120k miles in the 1.8T.

Agree with the above though, no way would I let it go that long without a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Healyc

Volkswagen Recommend:
    Check at the first 60,000mls and then every 20,000mls (replace if necessary)
    Replacement every 120,000mls (tensioner pulley must also be replaced)

Note: VW UK recommend the timing belt is replaced every 4 years if the replacement mileage is not reached.

Just took this out of a VW service guide

Hope this helps
    Healyc :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Healyc wrote: »
    Volkswagen Recommend:
    Check at the first 60,000mls and then every 20,000mls (replace if necessary)
    Replacement every 120,000mls (tensioner pulley must also be replaced)

Note: VW UK recommend the timing belt is replaced every 4 years if the replacement mileage is not reached.

Just took this out of a VW service guide

Hope this helps
    Healyc :D

There is no way of knowing when a belt is going to break or slip just by looking at it, I also think vw have revised when the t-belt should be changed to 60k miles or 4 years.

Don't forget to change the water pump, and use a water pump with a metal impeller as the plastic one becomes brittle and falls apart.

I got my parts from here http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=278

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Don't take a chance - replace the belt at 60k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

rocco wrote: »
    Quick Question I have a mark 4 GTI golf . My question is does anybody know exactly when the belt should be changed. I have a full service history with the car and it hasnt been done as far as I can see . I rang the VW garage up that most of the services had been done at and they said it doesent have to be done till 120,000 miles ?? Is this correct currently the car has 84,000.

Cheers

Its every 60k - check the service history and it should tell you if it was done at 60k and if not it should be done NOW!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Am I paranoid or have manufacturers deliberately been setting TB change intervals too high? Nice source of service revenue when they do go

All cars should have chains though. My Micra had a chain. My Porsche has a belt :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Its every 60k - check the service history and it should tell you if it was done at 60k and if not it should be done NOW!
    I was under the impression Golf mark Iv belts should be done every 45k - 50k?! (miles).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭green123

unkel wrote: »

All cars should have chains though. My Micra had a chain. My Porsche has a belt :(

why dont they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

green123 wrote: »
    why dont they ?

Interesting question. I don't know. They should though. Imagine the positive impact on the reputation of Alfa Romeo (FIAT) branded cars if there were no TB issues!

I'm completely making this up, but I'd say €500 spent to deliver a car with TC instead of TB would save all the subsequent owners of that car €5,000 in avoided repairs. Plus all the less worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

What all needs to be replaced? The belt, tensioner pulley and water pump...is this correct? How much should this work cost on average? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Glenman wrote: »
    What all needs to be replaced? The belt, tensioner pulley and water pump...is this correct? How much should this work cost on average? Thanks

Check condition of tensioner damper and replace it if need be, the aux belt should be changed too. I changed the thermostat and thermostat housing along with the engine mount stretch bolts on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Also check the age of the thread before posting :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement