Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
31-07-2007, 19:50   #1
spacetweek
Registered User
 
spacetweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,230
New road being built Clonee-Leixlip

Does anyone know anything about the new road being built between Clonee and Leixlip-Confey? From driving around the area I've figured out that it's going to follow roughly the route in the map I've attached. Most of it lies within Co. Meath. It seems to be generally similar to this road though with a somewhat different alignment.

I'd like more detail about it, when it's supposed to be finished, the width, the tie-in at Clonee etc.

Edit: Just found out that it's called the "Ongar to Barnhill Distributor Road".

Last edited by spacetweek; 31-07-2007 at 19:52.
spacetweek is offline  
Advertisement
31-07-2007, 20:40   #2
Ice_Box
Registered User
 
Ice_Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 563
I was curious about this myself.

found this link

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Minutes/200...FF20070211.htm


Description of the Nature and Extent of the Proposed Development and the Principal Features thereof: -



1. The construction of 1,160 m of four-lane carriageway from the Ongar Road in a south-westerly direction to tie in with the existing R149 Lucan Clonee Road at Barberstown Lane South.



2. The proposed new carriageway includes for 2 number 3.5 metre wide all purposes vehicle lanes, 2 number 3.0 wide metre bus lanes together with a central reservation 2.6 metres wide inclusive of a containment road safety barrier divide. The scheme also includes for footpaths, cycle tracks, grass verges, surface water road drainage, public lighting, landscaping and boundary treatment on both sides of the new road.



3. The provision of a new signalised Junction with right turning lanes at the proposed entrance to the SDZ lands and the proposed site for the primary and post primary school sites.



4. The construction of a new railway crossing south of the proposed SDZ lands and re-alignment of the existing 110 KV ESB overhead lines.



5. The construction of a 70 metre Inscribed Circle Diameter Roundabout adjacent to the junction of the Lucan Clonee Road and Barberstown Lane South.



6. The construction of 700 metres of 9.0 metre wide all-purpose carriageway together with 2 No. 28 metre Inscribed Circle Diameter Roundabouts inclusive of revised access accommodation works together with footpaths, cycletracks and grass verges on both sides of new road along and abutting Barberstown Lane South from Roundabout referred to at No. 5 above and as shown on sheets 3 and 4 of public display drawings.



7. The construction of 285 metres of 7.0 metre wide carriageway northwards along the Lucan Clonee Road from Roundabout referred to at No. 5 above together with grass margin, footpath, cycle track and boundary treatment on eastern side of new road.

8. The construction of 200 metres of varying width of carriageway southwards from Roundabout referred to at No. 5 above together with a right turning standing lane to tie into existing Lucan Clonee Road and junction at Passifyoucan.



9. Re-location of existing services in the area of the proposed works to accommodate surface water drainage, public lighting & ducting in the realigned section of road.



10. Provision of the appropriate road signage and lining.

The Ongar to Barnhill Distributor Road is the most northern section of a future link from Ongar to the N4 as identified in the County Development Plan 2005-2011. It is predicted that this route will replace the existing R149 Lucan to Clonee when complete.
Ice_Box is offline  
31-07-2007, 21:32   #3
icdg
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,467
So they propose to slap a 60kph limit on it when the existing much worse road has a 80kph speed limit!
icdg is offline  
31-07-2007, 21:52   #4
godtabh
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek
Does anyone know anything about the new road being built between Clonee and Leixlip-Confey? From driving around the area I've figured out that it's going to follow roughly the route in the map I've attached. Most of it lies within Co. Meath. It seems to be generally similar to this road though with a somewhat different alignment.

I'd like more detail about it, when it's supposed to be finished, the width, the tie-in at Clonee etc.

Edit: Just found out that it's called the "Ongar to Barnhill Distributor Road".
Is there anything on the Kildare Co Co website? Or Meath Co Co?

Why only fingal?
godtabh is offline  
31-07-2007, 22:28   #5
Skyhater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 310
If you're referring to the work that is currently underway in the fields to the west of the current Clonee to Lucan road.... It's not a Road.... They are laying a water main.

Although there is a new road planned, that won't be too far away from this alignment. Begs the question why they didn't carry out both projects at the same time!!!!
Skyhater is offline  
Advertisement
01-08-2007, 09:14   #6
godtabh
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhater
If you're referring to the work that is currently underway in the fields to the west of the current Clonee to Lucan road.... It's not a Road.... They are laying a water main.

Although there is a new road planned, that won't be too far away from this alignment. Begs the question why they didn't carry out both projects at the same time!!!!

Where are the works being carried out on the Lucan-Clonee road (never heard of it being called that but I know where your talking about)
godtabh is offline  
01-08-2007, 09:33   #7
Skyhater
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearnsr
Where are the works being carried out on the Lucan-Clonee road (never heard of it being called that but I know where your talking about)
I guess technically it's the R149....
From what i can see the Water Main Alignment follows this route.
I think it continues onto Clonee.
Skyhater is offline  
06-08-2007, 20:59   #8
spacetweek
Registered User
 
spacetweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhater
If you're referring to the work that is currently underway in the fields to the west of the current Clonee to Lucan road.... It's not a Road.... They are laying a water main.

Although there is a new road planned, that won't be too far away from this alignment. Begs the question why they didn't carry out both projects at the same time!!!!
Yep - seems strange. Are you sure that's just the watermain? Seems like a very wide path?
spacetweek is offline  
06-08-2007, 21:24   #9
ongarite
Registered User
 
ongarite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dublin 15
Posts: 5,074
Yep its definately a water main. It ends/starts at the Community Centre in Leixlip opposite Intel the whole way to the Blanchardstown side of Clonee opposite the statue of the Holy Mary...
ongarite is offline  
Advertisement
06-08-2007, 22:29   #10
jrar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Naas
Posts: 588
......and it then continues on the other side of the N3 opposite the entrance to Kepak, and then it winds its way into Damastown and crosses over in front of the IBM site, and seems to continue onwards from there, to where, God only knows !
jrar is offline  
06-08-2007, 23:15   #11
mackerski
Registered User
 
mackerski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrar
......and it then continues on the other side of the N3 opposite the entrance to Kepak, and then it winds its way into Damastown and crosses over in front of the IBM site, and seems to continue onwards from there, to where, God only knows !
This begins to make more sense. I was on a plane a week or so ago, and saw the excavations near Clonee that kicked off the thread. I also saw what looked like work to dual the Cruiserath Road (back end of Blanchardstown towards Damastown). It does look like they will dual it, as there is a new roundabout being built to suitable dimensions at the Church Road junction. As against that, there are two small industrial units along the alignment that would need to be demolished.

But Pretty much directly at the spot where the Cruiserath Road ends at Blanchardstown Road North is a big Fingal water reservoir with a new water tower. This is the destination of the new water main.

Whether they'll also build a new road on top is anyone's guess.
mackerski is offline  
08-08-2007, 19:46   #12
spacetweek
Registered User
 
spacetweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackerski
I also saw what looked like work to dual the Cruiserath Road (back end of Blanchardstown towards Damastown). It does look like they will dual it, as there is a new roundabout being built to suitable dimensions at the Church Road junction. As against that, there are two small industrial units along the alignment that would need to be demolished.
That's possible but I think the roundabout you saw under construction was this.
spacetweek is offline  
09-08-2007, 09:43   #13
Ice_Box
Registered User
 
Ice_Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 563
CPO: Tyrrelstown to N2 link road.

A Compulsory Purchase Order has been submitted for the development of the Tyrellstown to N2 link road.

This development will include 4.4km of new dual carriageway, the widening, to a dual carriageway, of the 600 metre road from Cruiserath Road to Tyrellstown and six new large roundabouts.

This new road will link Church Road and Ballycoolin Road to the N2 at Cherryhound Interchange.



When you put all these together it looks like they are building an outer ring road from the N2 to N3 to N4. And we already have one from the N7 to N4. It should take some preasure off the M50.
Ice_Box is offline  
09-08-2007, 17:30   #14
spacetweek
Registered User
 
spacetweek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dublin
Posts: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Box
When you put all these together it looks like they are building an outer ring road from the N2 to N3 to N4. And we already have one from the N7 to N4. It should take some preasure off the M50.
Yes, and the N7 to N81 section is due to be completed in summer 2008.

Unfortunately they're leaving the most crucial part, the new Liffey crossing, till last.
spacetweek is offline  
09-08-2007, 17:40   #15
jmkennedyie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 472
As I understand it, a Liffey Crossing just east of Lucan (i.e. Woodies on N4) is no longer on any development plans. I recall rumours of some plans for West side - i.e. Celbridge interchange - but obviously that wouldn't join up with the ORR on Southside as built. An liffey bridge at Celbridge interchange would link up with a new network of roads North of Lucan - between Laraghcon in Lucan, Confey in Leixlip, Clonee and Ongar.
jmkennedyie is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet