07-11-2007, 16:54   #151
Mokong

I too got a letter of doom, gutted.

I wasn't feeling too great after ,my interview anyway, i figure i was doing great up until the math questions which i wasn't expecting, start off fine though until bout halfway through when my brain decided it didn't want to work, went blank and took me ages (well two mins but felt much longer) to answer 1 simple division question, which in turn threw me well off my game for the rest of it, bloody let the nerves get to me, the one thing i promised i wouldn't let happen

I knew it as soon as I saw the letter, as i figured they'd likely call those who got through first. Like gerie above I was hoping to just see my leaving cert returned, it wasn't there, took a few seconds pause before i read the letter. ah well.

Doubt they'd do another competition next year, last time they had one was 6 years ago (2001) and last time previous to that was i think 1997, so could be looking at least 5 years, I like to try again for sure but would depend on my situation as of course it would mean taking a pay cut as AlanD was saying wouldn't have bothered me much this year, but i got a fiance and we hope to be married soon, so by the time this happens again doubt i could afford the pay cut for 15 months.

I guess what's really annoying me is that i've been waiting for this since 2002, everything i've done since has just been to keep me busy until this came along, and i let it slip through my fingers

Ah well, I'll soldier onward and see where this road takes me for now.

Good luck to all you guys who got through, wishing ye all the best

Last edited by Mokong; 07-11-2007 at 16:57.
Advertisement
07-11-2007, 19:25   #152

I got a letter of doom too ! Maybe having a good career already is not such a good thing for the IAA!

What kind of areas are other people in who have been turned down & accepted? I am a Senior Manager with an investsment bank!

TomC
07-11-2007, 20:09   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
It'd be unlikely that I would go again. Would they be likely to advertise again next year? Perhaps not. They said there might even be 48 places for this selection as opposed to 24 so that could cover them for a while.

I'm 31 now and was totally ready for the move. Really glad I applied cos I learned a lot about myself and what I want to achieve. My current career isn't satisfying me and ATCing was fitting in to that desire perfectly. Wife and I had been saving like crazy too since I applied since I would be taking a massive pay cut to do the course. Not a bad thing, cos now we're rich! haha....

I don't think I will hang around to wait for ATCing to come up again. It could mean I'd be almost 35 when I'd be qualified, it's only a year more, but it's too long in my books.

I view all of this positively though, the next thing will come along may suit me better. Whatever reason they had for not selecting me is fine with me. I'm moving on
count yourself lucky you didnt get in . Work in that organisation (atc)myself and most guys in there would kill to get out . Money is great but you have no quality of life with the shift we do . The shine goes off the job after a few years and it is glorified factory work with stress and a bit of fear thrown in. My advice to anyone applying is talk to operational controllers in Dublin or Shannon to get the real picture. Dont mean to be negative but come in with your eyes open.You can get great satisfaction from the actual job at times but decide do you want be on shift until you are 60 years of age.Nights and weekend work can be a killer on your health and your social life .
07-11-2007, 20:41   #154

Quote:
most guys in there would kill to get out
Jaysus...that sounds a bit disturbing.
08-11-2007, 10:46   #155

Yep just got the letter of doom this morning. I knew very well as soon as got a letter in the post..Was not prepared for any math questions in the interview so thats where was caught out. A few time, speed, distance questions before I went in and think I might have been prepared. Oh well will have to stick at the job I hate for a while longer. Congrats to those who got it...best of luck in the final!!
Advertisement
08-11-2007, 17:30   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by in control View Post
count yourself lucky you didnt get in . Work in that organisation (atc)myself and most guys in there would kill to get out . Money is great but you have no quality of life with the shift we do . The shine goes off the job after a few years and it is glorified factory work with stress and a bit of fear thrown in. My advice to anyone applying is talk to operational controllers in Dublin or Shannon to get the real picture. Dont mean to be negative but come in with your eyes open.You can get great satisfaction from the actual job at times but decide do you want be on shift until you are 60 years of age.Nights and weekend work can be a killer on your health and your social life .
That, and the management are the biggest pile of useless p***** your ever gonna meet
08-11-2007, 17:36   #157
AlanD

Quote:
Originally Posted by expediateclimb View Post
That, and the management are the biggest pile of useless p***** your ever gonna meet
I would recommend that the thread not descend to this level. Every company everywhere will have people who think their management is useless.

Opinions on your life as a controller I'm sure would be most welcome to those still left in the race (not me ). Remember, many of these folks really want to become controllers regardless.
08-11-2007, 19:03   #158
Running Bing

What sort of math questions did they ask?
08-11-2007, 19:14   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
I would recommend that the thread not descend to this level. Every company everywhere will have people who think their management is useless.

Opinions on your life as a controller I'm sure would be most welcome to those still left in the race (not me ). Remember, many of these folks really want to become controllers regardless.
Alan I am sure you are dissapointed in getting knocked out at this stage of the game and i am not saying this is a bad profession. The job itself has a lot of satisfaction but it is by no means easy . The training is very tough and there is no guarantee of sucess. As some one who has worked in this business for a fair while i have seen the best of people come in full of hope to become disheartened after a few years on operations. For as long as i can remember it impossible to get casual leave even for christenings, communions etc and you depend on the goodwill of your colleagues to do a duty swap to help you out . Most controllers are very decent people with a great work ethic and are highly professional people but we seem to go for very motivated people who by nature are very ambitious and who find there are few outlets to display that ambition beyond operational work . The salary is excellent by Irish standards but it can become golden handcuffs that can keep people there even if they want to move on. Again best of luck to everyone that has got to final selection but as i say come in with the full picture to avoid dissapointment down the line.
Advertisement
08-11-2007, 23:01   #160
phantom_lord

I didn't get through, although I was surprised to even get an interview tbh, since I'm 19, haven't finished my degree and stuffed up a section of the aptitude test!

I was kicking myself after the interview, I really could have answered some of the question better, flew through the maths bit though, the question at the end (how far does it travel in 5mins at 480mph) was the only one that took me some time to answer.

At least when this comes around again I'll be much for suitable for the position, and I'll have the experience of this process.

I'm really surprised at what "in control" is saying, I talked to a retired air traffic controller a good bit, and he absolutely loved every minute of it. He thoroughly recommended it as a career.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone still in the running!
09-11-2007, 14:07   #161

Final Interview

I have been keeping an eye on this thread for a while now. Some interesting opinions!!

Anyway, I was lucky enough to be called back for the final interview. I hadn't really been taking it too seriously up to now. However now I feel I should really give it a lash to try and get the job.

So, what I really want to know is what format the final interview will take. Will there be alot of technical questions or will it just be a more indepth version of the first interview, with more maths questions etc.?

Any info would be appreciated.
12-11-2007, 15:06   #162
Neo#

Has anyone who has made it though to the final interview been given an exact interview date/time yet? Because I havent been given one. Im also wondering what the next interview will cover which hasnt been covered before.
12-11-2007, 15:29   #163
Neo#

As soon as I wrote the last post I got a call from the IAA.
12-11-2007, 15:50   #164
Dub13

Send a message via Yahoo to Dub13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo# View Post
As soon as I wrote the last post I got a call from the IAA.
They must read Boards....
12-11-2007, 18:40   #165

Apparently there's going to be no mathsy calculations - it's just gonna be pure waffle! My interview is on the 26th - ****ting it is an understatement since I reckon the calibre of the candidates is very high at this stage and like a previous poster said I really haven't been taking it seriously up until now...they called back 100 so a 1 in 4 shot at a dream job ain't bad I guess. May the force be with you all anyway...and hopefully I'll even get to meet some of you in person on our team building adventure weekend jazz!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion