Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What on earth causes winxp bootup error 0x00...007E??

Options
  • 30-07-2007 4:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Ok, previously this week I asked about the CPU fan for my new
    system and everyone managed to help me out a lot and I would
    like to thank you all for that.

Here is my new issue.

I am replacing my old CPU/FAN/MOTHERBOARD (Intel P4 3.06GHz) with a new one (AMD 6000) and I managed to transplant the new board into my PC, load it up and find no problems in the bios. Then I decided to load windows and make sure everythings ok and guess what?

Windows XP (SP2) black loading screen comes up
    Then, black screen
    Finally, the blue screen of death with the windows serious error warning mentioning the way to fix would be restart the pc and/or disable bios shadowing etc and at the bottom it give the error code 0x00(cant remember how many 0's)0007E then in brackets another three or so that look about the same.

Is there anyway that someone knows what this error is about? The wierd part is I can get into safe mode without any problems but getting into standard windows XP is impossible. I tried removing the additional USB's, Firewire, DVD-Rom and anything else I could get away with running the machine without and I still could not get it to work.

Please, somebody, anybody, I have a much higher power GPU and I cant use it until I know what causes this error message and hopefully how to fix it.

Thanks for reading and all the best.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Are all your drivers up to date? Worth giving the RAM a check, try memtest.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tedstokes168

All the drivers were fine and I was using my previous ram which turned out to be 100% compatible with my new hardware (both allowed for DDR2 533Mhz and thats what the ram used and the bios was enabled for).

When windows safe mode came up all of the new devices where found and no problems at all. Looking in the device manager gave me no errors and no yellow warnings. I even put the bios on settings which disabled enabling USB ports etc and no joy just to cut down the possible glitch causes even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Then I decided to load windows and make sure everythings ok
    You just loaded the same installation you were using before the upgrade?
    I've had this a few times in the past (from Windows 2000 onward) when you swap out the motherboard, a lot of things go with it... chipset, IDE controllers, the works.
    For some reason windows throws a freaker (presumably because it's trying to use the previous motherboards drivers).
    Sometimes you can get away with doing the old motherboard shuffle and windows re-detects everything without a hitch... other times you don't get so lucky and you get the BSOD instead.

I think safe mode is working because it's starting with only the bare minimum of drivers... maybe installing the new chipset drivers at this point or trying to at least remove the old ones could work.
    Reinstalling windows will sort it all out, but we all know that's a pain in the arse. :o

Thanks for that. I can't install windows fresh because I dont have a windows cd. The original motherboard is from a shop made Packard Bell machine that I have been upgrading like crazy for the last few months. I tried the motherboards installation CD and that had almost nothing on it. For the record the exact motherboards are the following:

Taken out:
    Gigabyte Sunshine DDR2 (GA-8I915PMD) Ver 0.1

Put in:
    MSI K9A Platinum

Would the fact im using windows xp standard not the 64 version with my new AMD 6000 be the cause?

Does anyone know what this specific error code is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Its definetly a problem with drivers.... you have taken out an Intel system and replaced it with an amd system using the same windows installation.. as the other poster said.. the chipset is different, the processor is different, windows essentially recognises this as a totally different computer, the only way to sort it out is to reinstall windows tbh, but Im not even sure it would be legal for you to use the packard bell cd key (im not even sure if it would work) on non packard bell hardware.. chances are it either wont let you install and/or wont activate...

Basically you need to get your hands on an xp install disc... you can try your packard bell licence but If that dosent work you will probably have to buy a copy of xp...

ab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Just scanned previous posts.
    If you've tried to use a previous XP installation on a new motherboard then that's your problem. Get hold of an XP installation CD and do a repair install. This should solve it.

This is the final update on the matter as it is sorted(ish).

I did a really big search online all yesterday during the day and found
    a website entry that saved my bacon. It looks like Windows doesnt like
    non intel CPU's so you change a single filename and number on a registry
    entry and that's it! Error gone and it was caused by changing from an
    Intel to an AMD processor.

If anyone else would like to know the fix I can post it here for you
    as the website states it was a fix that used to be on the windows
    support website then it was removed for no reason!

ab_cork you were right about the Packard Bell key being limited. I checked
    on the website and found it says the OEM version will not allow motherboard
    replacement. I thought I would try anyway but it was no good, I started ripping out my PC insides at about 8:20pm last night and its now 6:26am and I finished about 5 mins ago so it took me a long time to try everything including hardware power problems to do with the local power grid at night(long story).

To be able to use the hardware im gonna have to use a fresh retail version of windows or it just wont go. I was running the AMD processor and was shocked by how hot it was running even on bios, it reached 55+ degrees in only a few minutes is this normal for a 6000? Im only used to my low temp P4.

Long post. But worth it, thanks everyone for your input and your help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget the OEM license only covers motherboard replacement by the computer manufacturer under warranty. So technically if you buy a new motherboard from Packard Bell you would not be allowed to reinstall windows on it.

Windows NT started the whole "I'm not going to boot if the drivers/settings for the boot device have changed".

Sometimes going in to device manage and changing the driver to generic IDE or whatever allows you to boot if the chipsets are similar. Windows 98 despite all the derision it gets would chearfully boot up and go looking for new hardware drivers.

Advertisement