Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
22-05-2007, 14:15   #1
DublinDilbert
Registered User
 
DublinDilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,694
Laying Paving slabs on concrete base

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any links to web-sites for laying paving slabs? I've been doing some googeling and reading up.

I'm looking to lay paving slabs ( bog standard 40 x 40 ones ), to form a patio for light use.

There is already a concrete base ( > 6 inches of concrete ) where i want to lay the slabs, it's nice and smooth + has a run off on it... I've been debating whether to put down 1" of sand + compact it then lay the slabs, or to motor the slabs down with say approx 10-15mm of mortar under each slab so they are nice and level.

Using mortar would be fairly simply, like tiling, but it would leave voids under the stones which would be an issue with water freezing ect... Laying them on sand wouldn't be too bad either...

If i go down the sand route i was going to mix 1 part cement to 5 parts sand, is this over kill?

I would be interested to hear peoples opinions / advice.

Anyone know anywhere good to source the paving slabs + sand around Dublin 7 / Dublin 15?
DublinDilbert is offline  
Advertisement
22-05-2007, 21:49   #2
Sonnenblumen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by DublinDilbert
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any links to web-sites for laying paving slabs? I've been doing some googeling and reading up.

I'm looking to lay paving slabs ( bog standard 40 x 40 ones ), to form a patio for light use.

There is already a concrete base ( > 6 inches of concrete ) where i want to lay the slabs, it's nice and smooth + has a run off on it... I've been debating whether to put down 1" of sand + compact it then lay the slabs, or to motor the slabs down with say approx 10-15mm of mortar under each slab so they are nice and level.

Using mortar would be fairly simply, like tiling, but it would leave voids under the stones which would be an issue with water freezing ect... Laying them on sand wouldn't be too bad either...

If i go down the sand route i was going to mix 1 part cement to 5 parts sand, is this over kill?

I would be interested to hear peoples opinions / advice.

Anyone know anywhere good to source the paving slabs + sand around Dublin 7 / Dublin 15?
Best to lay slabs on a 10mm wet mix (5:1). Avoid sand jointing, problematic and good weed growing environment, best to seal joints with wet mix also. Eccellent range of stone paving available from Natural Stone Yard (Ashbourne), also open Sats 9-1.00 and del service available. Well worth a look.
Sonnenblumen is offline  
22-05-2007, 22:35   #3
tradesman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: I live in County Limerick
Posts: 29
Lay slabs on 5 dabs of mortar. use a 3" x 2" to keep them level and flat. Point in between with a damp( just wet enough so it leaves a slight stain in your palm) mix of sand and cement 2 sand to 1 cement. Pack this into the joints and then get an off cut of hose pipe and rub the joints smooth.
tradesman is offline  
23-05-2007, 08:12   #4
Gurgle
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenblumen
Best to lay slabs on a 10mm wet mix (5:1). Avoid sand jointing, problematic and good weed growing environment, best to seal joints with wet mix also.
Carefull now.
If you're sealing the joints with a wet mix, make sure theres enough of a slope for water to run off the patio. Otherwise you'll be in puddle city for half the year.
Gurgle is offline  
24-05-2007, 04:08   #5
De_man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cork
Posts: 521
hi ya

see www.pavingexpert.com


a pint of plain is yer only man
De_man is offline  
Advertisement
25-05-2007, 09:47   #6
DublinDilbert
Registered User
 
DublinDilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,694
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies... I like the idea of mortaring them down, as it's just like tiling then... I'll make sure everything is all square before i start and I'm going going to run off in one direction at an angle...

I guess the only up side to bedding them onto sand is if i mess up, it might be easier to correct...

Thanks again.
DublinDilbert is offline  
25-05-2007, 21:16   #7
Boggles
Registered User
 
Boggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 20,321
Don't use the 5 point method as advised, lay the slabs on a compete cover of mortar, it eradicates weak points and will only cost a small bit extra, use wet mix for the joints. Take your time and since you already have a flow with the existing concrete you don't have to worry about that. Good luck with it.
Boggles is offline  
17-08-2009, 01:08   #8
jimzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 153
I'm in a similar situation.

I have flagstone I want to lay as a patio at the rear of my house. I've been doing a fair bit of research into this but cant seem to find any answers to this.

Basically, I don't have a concrete base, but have a fairly compact bed of smallish stone ( fine stone and inch size stuff - you know the stone that is put as an bed to tarmac, etc. )

I have tried to level that out and give a fall of a few inches away from the house. I had intended on laying the concrete bed for each flagstone directly on top of this stone.

Will the patio be ok on the stone, I don't really want to have to pour a concrete bed for the entire patio as the space im looking to cover is very large, and would probably add a lot of cost to the job.

Any feedback or thought would be appreciated!
jimzy is offline  
21-03-2010, 22:31   #9
Bubbles09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Limerick
Posts: 79
Paving on to concrete foot path

Hi I would like to put paving stones on my foot path out the front of my house but my boyfriend is making the job into a massive 1 saying i'll have to dig up the foot path that is there first before paving and all this I just want to know is it advisable to put paving stones down on to concrete or would you be better off digging it all up?
Bubbles09 is offline  
Advertisement
22-03-2010, 09:27   #10
De_man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cork
Posts: 521
are you talking about paving stones or paving slabs?

you need a minimum of 150mm from the top of slabs to your damp proof course (DPC) on your house (normally you'll have this) this is min requirement for building regulations and prevents dampness.
De_man is offline  
09-08-2011, 15:18   #11
smartassname101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradesman View Post
Lay slabs on 5 dabs of mortar. use a 3" x 2" to keep them level and flat. Point in between with a damp( just wet enough so it leaves a slight stain in your palm) mix of sand and cement 2 sand to 1 cement. Pack this into the joints and then get an off cut of hose pipe and rub the joints smooth.
Hi, Not trying to offend you but your method is the worst of all possible methods save for just throwing them down without any bedding because it leaves voids beneath the flags, making them more likely to fracture when loaded even light traffic,
the voids can allow surface water to accumulate, leading to subsidence or instability,
the voids provide a ready-made home for invertebrates, particularly ants, which love to mine an unbound bedding and/or sub-grade,
the solidified mortar spots settle differently causing the flag to 'rock' when trafficked,
correcting any rocking flags requires the old mortar to be broken out and disposed,
it does not comply with any Code of Practice (BS7533: Part4) which requires bedding to provide "uniform support".
smartassname101 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet