Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-05-2007, 19:17   #1
MT

Best anti-virus freeware?

Hi, at long last I've finally got around to connecting my new computer up to broadband - 512kps which is probably the best you can get in a rural area outside of an urban centre in NI.

From what little I know you're far more susceptible to viruses and attack with a broadband connection so I'm looking to download some good anti-virus software. I've also read that some of the free stuff is as good as Firefox and, being a cheapskate, I'll take this option please. So could anyone advise me on which of the programs listed in the freeware thread above is the best of the anti-virus programs?

Oh, my hard drive is only 40GB and I'm using Windows XP in case that effects what I'm capable of using.
Advertisement
10-05-2007, 19:19   #2
The Machine

I find this pretty good: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1
10-05-2007, 19:19   #3
Thomas_S_Hunterson
Closed Account

AVG:
http://free.grisoft.org/

/edit: The Machine beat me to it
10-05-2007, 19:21   #4
Ruu
Closed Account

Check the Essential Freeware sticky at the top of the forum. AVG, avast! or Anti-Vir all have free versions available and one of them will do the trick.
10-05-2007, 19:32   #5
MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu
Check the Essential Freeware sticky at the top of the forum. AVG, avast! or Anti-Vir all have free versions available and one of them will do the trick.
I did, I just want some advice on which of the ones listed would be best. From the responses so far AVG will seemingly do the trick.
Advertisement
10-05-2007, 19:34   #6
ActorSeeksJob

I get the impression that you don't have good anti-spyware or a firewall either. So I recommend the following to ensure your pc to be safe in the future

* To reduce re-infection for malware in the future, I strongly recommend installing these free programs:
SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX
IE-SPYAD puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all

* SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.

* I recommend the following anti-spyware programs to protect yourself against spyware, make sure you only use one real-time anti-spyware protection program though :
AVG anti-spyware
Spybot - Search and Destroy
Ad-Aware SE Personal

* Some good free firewalls are ZoneAlarm, Comodo, or
Outpost
Make sure you only use one firewall though. A tutorial on understanding and using firewalls may be found here.

* Here are some good anti-virusprograms, make sure you only use one though :
AVG makes an excellent free antivirus client, as do AntiVir or avast!.
10-05-2007, 19:37   #7
danjo

Best anti-virus freeware.

A firewall is just as important as anti-virus software. Check out Kerio and Zone Alarm freebies. Also install Spybot to limit spyware.
19-05-2007, 16:34   #8
run_Forrest_run

thanks for posting this helpful advice folks.
19-05-2007, 20:52   #9
zilog_jones

Send a message via MSN to zilog_jones
I'd also recommend AVG - been using it for years with no trouble. Personally I'd prefer a decent router with a built-in firewall over a software firewall any day - ZoneAlarm et al may potentially offer a higher level of security but in the majority of cases they're not really needed and are mostly just an annoyance.

My recommendation for anti-spyware is just avoid IE at all costs. I use Opera as my main browser - that coupled with not looking at dodgy websites or downloading dodgy software means spyware is pretty much a non-issue for me.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion