Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-04-2007, 13:06   #1
theKED
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Super Skinny me

I don't know where to post this, so Mod's please feel free to move this thread....

I was just wondering if anyone watched this documentary on Channel4 last night and what their opinions are?

Here is a brief discription for anyone who missed it: (Source: timesonline.co.uk)

A fascination with being thin is a defining part of this rapidly fattening age and nothing exemplifies it better than the recent tumult in fashion and the media over the size zero physique. A size zero is officially 31½-23-34 — little-boy statistics that can be applied to some of the biggest red carpet names of the day. But the term doesn’t bring to mind vital statistics; it has come to represent a state of slenderness and richness that to most normal eyes looks like skin, bone, expensive hair and lovely clothes.

Personally I don’t care too much about the debate in fashion. Models have always been thin and while some have issues, generally the model’s body is an extraordinary one: they are a gangly slender breed unto themselves. More fascinating — and alarming — are the lengths other women will go to physically and mentally to keep themselves well under their natural body weight; and the extent to which most of them think their natural weight is essentially fat.

I am never quite satisfied with my body, but aside from largely healthy eating and regular exercise I can’t be bothered to do much more about it. However, when I was challenged to make a documentary about what it takes to attain the distinctive anticurves of the size zero, I said yes.

Super-Skinny Me: The Race to Size Zero, is on Channel 4, April 22
Advertisement
23-04-2007, 13:18   #2
Dragan

I watched this and found it fascinating, not just the scary notion of what there two journalists were willing to do for the sake of the experiment, but the psychological impact on both as well.

One of the girls seemed very happy with herself, enjoyed her life and her relationships. The other psyched herself up by going through all her photo's and talking about how "fat" she looked. They were both size 12 by the way.

By the end, the first lass had reached US size 00, the other one had been pulled from the show as the doctor and the psyhchiatrist overseeing the experiment felt she ran a great risk of developing a full blown eating disorder.

The first girl would choose a plan and stick to it ( I find it curious that her best and most consistent results came with a high protein diet, even if her calories were far too low and she was depressed and miserable, had no energy all the time ).

The second one would choose something outrageous from the get go, then binge eat, yo yo, and at one stage get drunk.

All in all it was a hugely interesting show, and while I may completely disagree with the methods used I feel it was important to have a well done show like this on telly, as both girls were very open and honest in documenting how they felt. The were both extremely tired, miserable, emtional, couldn't work and suffered from a worse self image than when they started.

Unreal.
23-04-2007, 13:40   #3
theKED

Did anyone think that it glamourised the thoughts of being skinny.
When the girl slipped into the size 00 jeans they had dance music on and everybody was drinking and having a good time and they all clapped when she got into them. She was chuffed. Everybody congratulated her saying "well done". I realise they might have been just congratulating her for accomplishing the task she set out to do, but to me it seemed over the top.

And honestly i taught she looked extremely well in the size 00. But thats besides the point.
I understand they tried to show the torture both girls went through physically and mentally to get to that size but was it not promoting how fast women can lose weight by doing this, one girl lost nearly 1 stone in 3 weeks with the help of having 4 colon cleansings (spelling)
23-04-2007, 13:43   #4
BossArky

I watched bits and pieces of this over my shoulder whilst doing some work at the table. That girl who went off on hols to the carribbean was pretty fit and didn't look size zero to me. Then again I wasn't totally tuned in so may have missed bits and pieces.
23-04-2007, 13:44   #5
Hanley
Because Hanley Heals...

I think the show was basically bull****... It's like the gave them no advice and just left them to their own devices and told them to lose the weight however they could.

Watercress soup diet ffs??

One thing that annoyed me was the CONSTANT choppping and changing between methods. It's like there was actually no starting plan.

Oh and that personal traniner annoyed the hell out of me for making one of them do lots of cardio on the threadmill to "keep her metabolism up and stop her from losing lean mass"!!
Advertisement
23-04-2007, 14:05   #6
theKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossArky
I watched bits and pieces of this over my shoulder whilst doing some work at the table. That girl who went off on hols to the carribbean was pretty fit and didn't look size zero to me. Then again I wasn't totally tuned in so may have missed bits and pieces.
Thats exactly my point, the girl that completed the task looked extremely hot when she slipped into those jeans, and she didn't look like one of the Olsen twins, she looked fit.
And as for the other girl who nearly had a nervous breakdown, her face looked drained from time to time (although she was 38) but when she was all done up at the dinner party i thought she looked fabulous, even when she stood at the top of the stairs saying "you can see air in between my legs - my thighs don't touch".
So the whole purpose of this documentary backfired.

Anyone agree? I would be intersted to hear what any women think?
23-04-2007, 14:12   #7
Hanley
Because Hanley Heals...

One of my major problems with all this ****e they're putting out on diet shows like superskinny me is that at no point in time do they mention how important skeltal structure is when chasing size zero. Some girls, no matter how "skinny" they get jsut aren't going to have the bone structure to get into size zero clothes.
23-04-2007, 14:26   #8
Dragan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanley
I think the show was basically bull****... It's like the gave them no advice and just left them to their own devices and told them to lose the weight however they could.

That was the whole point of it. The University that was running the study, the health spa one of them used…..they all said they didn't agree or like the action of forced starvation, but that it really does need to be studied.

As such, you had two very mentally healthy professionals who were reduced to wrecks by ill informed DIY attempts to get down to the fabled size 00. It was a study in how the average person would go about doing it, not in the healthiest, safest of even most effective ways to go about achieving it.
23-04-2007, 14:42   #9
daveirl

Send a message via Skype™ to daveirl
I only saw the ads but they showed one of them wrapping her hands around her own waist? What I though interesting is how she was still quite 'soft' despite being so small.
Advertisement
23-04-2007, 15:52   #10
theKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveirl
I only saw the ads but they showed one of them wrapping her hands around her own waist? What I though interesting is how she was still quite 'soft' despite being so small.
What's that suppose to mean?
23-04-2007, 15:57   #11
Dragan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKED
What's that suppose to mean?
It means that despite losing a lot of weight and size she still held a decent degree of adipose in the stomach region, and was quiet soft.

She was in no way toned, just angular in the arms and shoulders and soft in the belly.
23-04-2007, 15:59   #12
olaola

The girl with the longer hair - can't remember her name - she looked REALLY gaunt when she was being interviewed in the gym. She had a vest on and her shoulders were just seemed so bony and prominent. And watching her put her hands around her waist gave the perspective of HOW much weight she had lost.
Other than that she didn't wear revealing clothing for the rest of the show, so it was hard to see. The before and after pics weren't very insightful.
Even when she was trying on the size 00 jeans - she was well covered up
other than her stomach. I think they should have shown more pictures of her looking too thin.

It was interesting what the girl's boss (the longer haired lady) said about her performance in work. Even her colleagues were talking about her general demeanour changing.

The other lady - Kate Spicer I think? - kinda looked a bit crap throughout. The tiredness really came through on her face and she started to get a tad manic about the whole thing as the program progressed.

IMO - if someone with an eating disorder or on the way to one... might find this program 'inspirational'.
I think if you are that obsessed about losing weight you will tune out the bad bits, and focus on the fact that they both lost a stone in 5 weeks.
23-04-2007, 16:00   #13
Hanley
Because Hanley Heals...

What was the story with her hands around her waist anyway?? Her thumbs CLEARLY weren't touching around the back. nor were her fingers at the front. Her hands didn't come anywhere near reaching around.
23-04-2007, 16:07   #14
theKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaola
IMO - if someone with an eating disorder or on the way to one... might find this program 'inspirational'.
Do you mean inspirational to become pro anerexic or inspirational to stop them from having an eating disorder?
23-04-2007, 16:34   #15
olaola

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKED
Do you mean inspirational to become pro anerexic or inspirational to stop them from having an eating disorder?
IMO people who already have an eating disorder (or on the way to one) would see the weight loss these girls achieved as a positive thing. Even Kate Spicer became borderline herself when she realised what she was achieving.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion