Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-05-2009, 20:13   #76
TOMSIE

Hello,I am Thomas though i should mention that their are groups like overeater anoymous around, for people who have problems with their food. These groups dont seem to be advertised much, i didnt know about it till a few months ago and their cheap a few euro a meeting. I am aged 29 and around 20 stone and it great to hear of people getting results from these operations.
Advertisement
30-05-2009, 01:56   #77
celticfan32

I am morbidly obese. Last December my GP sent me up to Loughlinstown for a consultation. Needless to say when i was weighed i got the fright of my life. I weighed in at 29st 2lb. Im 6ft 2" but never in my life did i weigh so much, i was always around 24-25st. Since December i have lost 2 stone and need to loose another 6-8 lb to get a consultation to have the Gastric Band done. I cant speak highly enough of the team up there and i had no intention of having any sort of operation done. But after a few monthly meetings and some sound advice, i am going ahead with the Gastric Band as soon as ive a bit more weight lost. I would like to hear how people felt after the operation and how long it took to get back on your feet. Thanks !!!!
02-06-2009, 19:06   #78
Unregistered

Bigmix

I am morbidly obese and contacted my health insurers to cover the cost of a gastric band, they told me that if I was covered I could only get the surgery done in Loughlinstown. When i contacted Loughlinstown I was told there is an 18 month waiting list. I need the surgery now! Has anyone else encountered this obvious excuse to decline cover and can anything be done to combat this.

03-06-2009, 02:24   #79
amygalway

Banding

Hey i was wondering what weight do you need to be ti have this band?
06-06-2009, 16:05   #80
Unregistered

Hi, I suppose it depends on what size you are. When I went to have my operation I was the smallest there among the girls that were having the op. If you go for a consulation they will weigh you and measure your BMI. So its different for everyone. If you were say 7kgs overweight they wouldn't consider you.

Advertisement
12-06-2009, 21:19   #81
Unregistered

gastric banding

Hi. I am in Dublin and wish to have the gastric band fitted too. I have just sent the email to the clinic for consultation. reading your story is like looking at my own life. If you're interested ina chat, I'd love to hear from you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cufroige View Post
Hello,
I'm looking for people to chat about either having had Gastric Band fitted or are considering having it done?
I am currently booked for consultation & if approved will be "done" mid April.
history of yoyo dieting, depression & low self esteem since communion age. Have sucessfully dieted numerous times but struggled always to maintain loss...biggest & most recent loss being 7 stone
(sensibly, I might add...through hard work,diet, personal training & excercise)

Weight now back on AGAIN & am devastated. have considered having band before but never thought I actually would.
I finally admit I feel powerless against this never ending battle.
My husband, sister & best friend know about this & are with me 100%, but
I have not discussed this with other friends as I am not confident I would get support (small town) there is a stigma that it is the easy way out.
I have lost over 20 stone in my lifetime, that is not easy, either is living with yourself having reached a position of personal empowerment of achieving massive weight loss only to end up with it all back on.

Gastric banding is not a magic wand that makes you skinny...It supports you while learning to change your behaviour & helps enforce LONG TERM lifestyle change.
I believe this is a major key factor for yoyo dieters as we generally can't go very long without having a bad day/binge, thus breaking the cycle of "good behaviour"
My health is affected.. I wanted to start a family this year, this is now on hold.
My life is being wasted, my weight & subsequent damage to my self esteem has ruined & robbed me of a lot of life experiences. I pick myself up off the ground again & again only to end up crumpled back there over & over.
I cannot go through another weight loss only to gain again...it would kill me emotionally.
I am having this surgery if I am approved to face this problem once more & this time to use the band as my support & ally.
I have been board messaging with a lot of people who had this done, but all from the US & UK.
I'd love to hear personal experience from an Irish point of view

Anyone have anything to share on the subject?

12-06-2009, 21:35   #82
silvery999

Hi

Hi. You're not alone in this! ) I am very interested in your story and how you're getting on. Have been researching places to have this done. Just sent an email to nearest clinic. Best price here so far is 9 grand! Is it that much where you're going? Some places offer it at half price if you travel outside Europe but no way...if am doing it (which I definitely am) I am gonna have it donw where I can leggit back should I need help! Best of luck with it...let me know how you get on when you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfan32 View Post
I am morbidly obese. Last December my GP sent me up to Loughlinstown for a consultation. Needless to say when i was weighed i got the fright of my life. I weighed in at 29st 2lb. Im 6ft 2" but never in my life did i weigh so much, i was always around 24-25st. Since December i have lost 2 stone and need to loose another 6-8 lb to get a consultation to have the Gastric Band done. I cant speak highly enough of the team up there and i had no intention of having any sort of operation done. But after a few monthly meetings and some sound advice, i am going ahead with the Gastric Band as soon as ive a bit more weight lost. I would like to hear how people felt after the operation and how long it took to get back on your feet. Thanks !!!!
18-06-2009, 13:54   #83
Unregistered

GASTRIC BANDING

HI GUYS
I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS HAD THE BAND DONE AND HOW THEY FEEL AND COPE LATER. I AM PLANNING TO HAVE IT DONE IN AUGUST BUT HAVE SOME CONCERNS IF I WILL COPE.

THANKS

18-06-2009, 15:10   #84
Patti D.

gastric band website

ive found a brillant support site for gastric banding and bypass that in the uk if anyone would like the address of it PM me. or moderators can i put the address up?

Im toying with the idea of having a band fitted and already have made contact with 2 irish girls, one whos had it done and the other who's going to belgium for one.
Advertisement
18-06-2009, 15:13   #85
tbh
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti D. View Post
ive found a brillant support site for gastric banding and bypass that in the uk if anyone would like the address of it PM me. or moderators can i put the address up?

Im toying with the idea of having a band fitted and already have made contact with 2 irish girls, one whos had it done and the other who's going to belgium for one.
I appreciate you asking, but I'd also appreciate it if you didn't post links - thanks Patti.
18-06-2009, 15:15   #86
Patti D.

No problem i understand
01-07-2009, 23:50   #87
edenbridge146

Gastric Band

Hi there

I went to a hospital in Dublin and they are quoting a price of 11700 euro's.

A friend of my mum's went to Brussels to have it done with one of the most reputable surgeons in Europe and I'm having my band fitted on 12th August.
I'm actually meeting with surgeon tomorrow in dublin as he visits Dublin once a month, along with Edinburgh, London and now Bristol. Its costs 4070 euros and that includes hotels.

For the surgeons to consider you for banding you must have a BMI above 40 or a BMI between 35 and 40 with an other illness like blood pressure, diabetes etc.
You can get you BMI by dividing you weight in to your height - a healthy range is between 20 - 25.

Any more questions feel free to ask

S
09-07-2009, 19:08   #88
longlashes101

Hi there,
have been attending Loughlinstown for the past 8 months have managed to loose about 1.5 stone the support there is great.
Would not have initially considered surgery but am thinking about it more and more. i could be years trying to loose the weight i need to loose.

Like some posts on this i would be thinking more along the lines of gastric banding but the more horror stories i hear about the more i am thinking no and am leaning towards the gastric bypass.. had been asked in a few of the consultations if I had considered surgery but had said at the time that i would rather try to do it on my own.

Can anyone in the same boat pm me or let me know how you are getting on...
12-07-2009, 22:26   #89
janette24us

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenbridge146 View Post
Hi there

I went to a hospital in Dublin and they are quoting a price of 11700 euro's.

A friend of my mum's went to Brussels to have it done with one of the most reputable surgeons in Europe and I'm having my band fitted on 12th August.
I'm actually meeting with surgeon tomorrow in dublin as he visits Dublin once a month, along with Edinburgh, London and now Bristol. Its costs 4070 euros and that includes hotels.

For the surgeons to consider you for banding you must have a BMI above 40 or a BMI between 35 and 40 with an other illness like blood pressure, diabetes etc.
You can get you BMI by dividing you weight in to your height - a healthy range is between 20 - 25.

Any more questions feel free to ask

S
i would like to find out about that place in Brussels as i am thinking of having the same done so can you send me (pm) any information you have on the place

Last edited by janette24us; 12-07-2009 at 22:29.
21-07-2009, 19:49   #90
irishlad27

Any Guidance

Hi

I am a 27 yr old male who has been considering surgery since January, where i had chosen to go abroad because VHI don't cover this type of operation, i have since found out otherwise and have been pursuing this.

I got a referal for Loughlinstown but i just found out that there is public as in not VHI and the wait is two years for initial consultation.

My G.P. has helped me lots but is kind of at a loss as to where to go next, VHI cover the procedure in a few places and i was wondering does anyone know of these places and if you could advise me, VHI can't they say as it would make them biased.

I intially was considering the Gastric Sleeve abroad but if getting it done in Dublin i would get the band.

Does anyone know also whether the Sleeve is done here and covered by VHI as sometimes it's very hard to get the info out of them.

I am getting increasingly frustrated as i keep hitting brick walls and no one answers or returns your calls.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Irishlad

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion