Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-03-2007, 22:57   #1
Lazairus

Top Bike shops in Ireland .

Cyclists of Ireland

Apparently there is a shop , Stagg cycles is rated as one of the best shop in Ireland , So consider value for money and variety , in your experience what is the best shops in Ireland???
Advertisement
27-03-2007, 10:25   #2
lady_marmalade

MacDonald Cycles in Rathgar has possibly the friendliest and most helpful customer service I've encountered in this country. It's terrible isn't it when good customer service seems out of the ordinary!

The prices are reasonable too.
27-03-2007, 11:05   #3
BeardyGit
Closed Account

Value for money and variety aren't the only suitable measures if you're wanting to find the 'Top' bike shops in Ireland. Customer service comes first and foremost for me, as long as the prices are affordable and they can supply what I want.

On that basis - Joe Daly's or Cyclelogical win my vote.
27-03-2007, 11:12   #4
daymobrew

I'm a fan of Cycle Superstore in Tallaght. A good range, helpful staff and discounts with the free Loyalty card.

For basic service I use Little Sport in Fairview. Quite cheap but good.
27-03-2007, 11:17   #5
Bradidup
Banned

Noel Carrs in Ennis, opened only a few years good selection & friendly. In Dublin it would be Joe Dalys of Dundrum.
Advertisement
27-03-2007, 11:23   #6
kmick

There is a little place in Tenple Bar which is underground. This is the best value for a service or parts. The guy is sound but it can tend to be slow as he has a big backlog. He is beside the rcord shop close enough to the Temple bar music center. Above all he will tell you the truth which is rare.

Commuting solutions in Rathmines are very knowledgeable and friendly but little bit pricey. Also I once brought a bike in with a skipping cog and they told me it was fixed when it was actaully not fixable. For this they lose a few marks. I had to go to another shop to get the info that it was not fixable i.e. needed a new part which was so expensive the bike was not worth fixing.

MacDonald Cycles in Rathgar is a grand place and the guy is very friendly. However it is a little bit pricey as well. He once fixed a problem for me for free so I would defo go back.

Hollingsworth Cycles Templeogue - I have had a few bad experiences here and on that basis I dont recommend.

Cycleways Parnell Street - not that interested and will tell you whatever you want to hear. You never know where you stand with these guys. Steer clear.

Cyclelogical - they dont do servicing so in my mind they are not a proper bike shop.
(2) thanks from:
27-03-2007, 11:40   #7
el tel

For the Northern continginet who may read this, I can't recommend Dave Kane Cycles, Newtwonards Road, Belfast (http://www.davekanecycles.com/) highly enough. I've been going there for as long as I can remember and have never failed to get what I wanted, no matter how obsure the part or kit. Their range of bikes and parts is superb, advice is always sound and they also have an excellent clothing shop just down the road too.

Recently I have also been spending large amounts of my hard-earned in ChainReactionCycles, Doagh, County Antrim. Everyone must know of their web-based mail order operation (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/) but you can also call into the showroom (weekdays only) for those times when you need to try something on or don't want to wait on the post man delivering.
27-03-2007, 11:52   #8
youcancallmeal

I got my last bike in Cyclelogical and it was a very goog deal with loads of extras thrown in. Only problem is it more or less impossible to get it serviced there. When I brought it for my 1st free service I stupidly didnt ring and was told they had no room when I got there. After ringing them nearly every day for 2 weeks I finally got it booked in for a service, after that I always brought my bike to another city center bike shop to get serviced. Then recently I started getting broken spokes and I was advised I should bring my bike back to where I bought it from to get the wheel rebuilt. Another two weeks of phone calls and being told everytime they had no room, then when they did tell me to bring the bike in I was told there was no room when I got there I think they have the best selection for Hybrid bikes in dublin but just don't go there to get your bike serviced.

Cycleways is great for bike repairs/servicing but their selection of bikes isnt great. Last time I wanted to buy a spcialized cirrus in there I was told it was a 2 month wait to get my frame size in.
27-03-2007, 16:06   #9
mockerydawg

Cyclogical
Unless you've dropped a load of cash or know the owner, its hard to get your bike serviced in there. They rarely will service if you havent bought it there in the first place unless its rare and expensive. And expensive bikes are not ones with bouncy seatposts that cost €500 in the christmas sales.
Even if you have spent alot there, dont expect any favours. They used to be good, offering advice and discounts but since that expansion I think they could be classed as explorers rather than than a bikers, as they seem to have crawled so far up their own arses...
Not that I hold a grudge or anything

Best thing is to learn yourself - or feed gil biscuits and tea to help you
Advertisement
28-03-2007, 17:13   #10
milod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmick
There is a little place in Tenple Bar which is underground. This is the best value for a service or parts. The guy is sound but it can tend to be slow as he has a big backlog. He is beside the rcord shop close enough to the Temple bar music center. Above all he will tell you the truth which is rare.
SqureWheels Cycles is the place, Ciaran is the guys name - honest and reasonably priced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmick
Cycleways Parnell Street - not that interested and will tell you whatever you want to hear. You never know where you stand with these guys. Steer clear.

Cyclelogical - they dont do servicing so in my mind they are not a proper bike shop.
Yep, these two places are ones to avoid - I had two very bad experiences with Cycleways - I've a Specialized and foolishly thought the main agent might know what they were doing...

As for Cyclelogical - they're very elitist but I believe they do service bikes that cost over €1500 To be fair though they're honest enough to admit when they're not interested - it was they who directed me to SquareWheels with my g/f's budget end Ridgeback...
29-03-2007, 00:36   #11
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by milod
SqureWheels Cycles is the place, Ciaran is the guys name - honest and reasonably priced.
Kieran

21 South Temple Lane
City Centre
Dublin Dublin

Most bike shops have or can get in expensive racers or mountain bikes or the latest fashion on overpriced accessories, but if you are looking for anything out of the ordinary its worth a look. Stuff like unicycles and trailers..
(2) thanks from:
29-03-2007, 07:10   #12
hunnymonster

I've yet to find a place in Dublin that is suitable for me. The cycle superstore in Tallaght is the best of a bad lot. More often I go to cycling pursuits in Limerick and Cork.
29-03-2007, 14:06   #13
Money Shot

No good shops in Dublin anymore

Cycleogical - terrible, terrible shop. Simply refuse to do any repairs or service whatsoever. You would be better off buying blind online. They are pricey too and never have any real specials.

Cycleways - Good repair service. Never have what you want in stock, well maybe sometimes. Not very compromising on parts swaps on new bikes and don't want to know you once you've shelled out. I hear the same spiel everytime I go in - even though I've been cycling for nearly twenty years - you'd think they'd regocnise me by now.

Little sport - steer well clear. I bought a second hand bike here years ago and it fell apart, literally, after a few weeks. Any repairs have always had to go back for the job to be actually done, or done properly.

Chainreactioncyles.com - Cheap, free delivery, never any problems. Pity they don't do many bikes or service or repairs.
29-03-2007, 14:12   #14
Money Shot

Forgot to mention Halfords

Halfords - Oh My God. For starters you will be left standing for at least half an hour like a complete tool. The you will be served by some barely living spotty sixteen year old who can barely talk. Every transaction, no matter how small, is like pulling teeth. Don't expect quality service, repairs or advice. They have no knowledge whatsoever and don't care one bit about customers.
They do have some good deals though - but learn to do basic repairs yourself.
29-03-2007, 14:35   #15
Ghost Rider

Commuting Solutions in Rathmines are friendly chaps who do repairs reasonably quickly and at reasonable prices. They also let me road-test a bike three times without requiring a deposit or a credit card. I like them.

I also like the little bike shop in Ranelagh. The guy who owns it is decent and, while not always able to repair stuff without first ordering the parts, is straightforward enough to let you know the score in advance.

My initial experience of Cyclelogical was that they were stand-offish, but when I expressed an interest in buying a particular bike they became quite friendly and helpful. (I guess they get a fair few time-wasters in there.) Never bought a bike from them, though, so I can't comment on their service record.

As for Cycleways, I bought some Ortlieb panniers there recently and found the manager very helpful indeed. I also road-tested a bike and found the sales guy pretty informative, without being too pushy.

By the way, as for prices of bike shops here, it's regularly said that they're over-priced compared to their UK counterparts but I was in the market for a hybrid/sports-hybrid bike recently and I found the prices very similar between there and here.

When it comes to parts and accessories, however, I suspect that may be a different story.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion