Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-01-2007, 13:48   #1
jimmycrackcorm

AIB charging 'astronomical' fee for records of payments

I'm glad I don't bank with this shower of ....

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=15048

As I work in software development, I find it incomprehensible why a request for a historical statement is so difficult to provide given the technology base of the bank. Either the bank is blatently ripping people off or their IT people are woefully incompetent that they cannot change the start date of statement when doing a statement run. something tells me it is the former rather than the latter.
Advertisement
02-01-2007, 14:34   #2
Cabaal
Category Moderator

For those not bothered to reg a unison a/c the story is

Quote:
AN angry reader has accused AIB of taking advantage of its customers over the charges it imposes for historical banking records.

The reader, who does not want to be named, said he was taken aback at what the bank sought to charge to provide his records.

"I recently needed to acquire historical information from my AIB current account regarding a payment I had been making from that account every month," he wrote.

"The payment had been ongoing for about two-and-a-half years. As I didn't keep my bank statements that far back I contacted AIB to request they provide me with the information. 24-Hour Banking could not provide me with the information as their records only went back five months."

The reader was advised to contact his local branch. "They also said that their records only went back five months; in order to find the information I was looking for they told me that I would need to request a duplicate bank statement going back the two-and-a-half year period I requested.

"To my surprise they also told me there would be an administration cost of €2.57 per page!

"Last year my bank statement for the 12 months was 50 pages long. Doing the maths (I'm suddenly glad I did honours for the Leaving Cert), this equates to a cost of €321.25."

He added: "In the age of modern technology I can surf the internet and find out pretty much anything I like."

For example, he could quickly find out that the real name of footballer Pele was Edson Arantes do Nascimiento, or that in 1848 Niagara Falls experienced a break of half an hour, when an ice jam blocked the source river.

"Yet our nation's largest bank, with resources and technology vastly superior to my simple middle-management laptop, can not find out the most basic of information for me.

"It is an absolute disgrace that banks should consider their customers so naive as to not be appalled by this astronomical fee! Another example of AIB taking advantage of customers."

Asked to comment AIB said: "Unfortunately, there is a cost to the business in processing duplicate statements, which is passed on to those customers who request the service."

Have Your Say by emailing cweston@independent.ie. Views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect the opinion of the Irish Independent.
02-01-2007, 14:36   #3
Sangre

Ptsb is €2.50 a page as well. BOI would probably be similar, banks rarely differ too much on these costs. 80% of the time you tell people this they usually end up looking and finding the old statements.
02-01-2007, 19:21   #4
stepbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangre
Ptsb is €2.50 a page as well. BOI would probably be similar, banks rarely differ too much on these costs. 80% of the time you tell people this they usually end up looking and finding the old statements.
Any thing pre 2002 (in BOI anyhow) usually is stored on microfilm so therefore someone physically has to go and look for the statements. So thats what the consumer is paying for, the labour involved. You would be suprised how hard it is to search through multiple statements etc. Now one may argue that it should be kept on an IT system but im sure the banks involved have it worked out and have done some sort of cost benefit analysis which would suggest it is more cost effective to store the statements on microfilm rather than spend the extra money on additional hardware / software. TBH it makes economic sense because there are few people who would need to go back that far for statements. There is no point keeping transactions live on a system when only a small minority of people will ever need to access them.

Last edited by stepbar; 02-01-2007 at 19:25.
02-01-2007, 20:35   #5
parsi
Banned

Send a message via MSN to parsi
I agree with sangre - sometimes if people realise there is a cost involved then they suddenly find what they need rather than you having to do it for them...

How much would his accountant charge for similar work ?
Advertisement
02-01-2007, 20:58   #6
superscouse
Superscouse unLTD

Beat them at their own game.

I wanted to know what AIB held on me last year, so make a request to the Data Protection Officer in bankcentre Ballsbridge. For a fee of 6.35, they are obliged to give you a print out of everything - yes everything, they hold about you on computer. This included screen shots, statements and all the other records they held. They have no choice !!!

The file I got was nearly 6 inches thick.
02-01-2007, 21:22   #7
eth0_

Superscouse - send an email to the Irish Indo informing them of this.
Then sit back and smile as AIB and the other banks are swamped. Serves them right with their refusal to drag themselves into the 21st century.
02-01-2007, 21:45   #8
stepbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by superscouse
I wanted to know what AIB held on me last year, so make a request to the Data Protection Officer in bankcentre Ballsbridge. For a fee of 6.35, they are obliged to give you a print out of everything - yes everything, they hold about you on computer. This included screen shots, statements and all the other records they held. They have no choice !!!

The file I got was nearly 6 inches thick.
And what did you find out that you didnt already know?
02-01-2007, 22:51   #9
Cabaal
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbar
ah, his statements at a much lower cost?
Advertisement
03-01-2007, 10:59   #10
Sponge Bob
Banned

Thats a data protection request superscouse not a "request for statements" .

To get the €6.35 package see first

http://www.dataprivacy.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=4

and then for some bits of AIB

http://www.dataprivacy.ie/ViewDoc.as...r=mypage:2;kw:

and finally the main bit is

http://www.dataprivacy.ie/ViewDoc.as...sp?ID=0424%2FA

Write to that fella and tell him you want all your data

All banks charge an arm and a leg for "copy statements" , not just AIB.
03-01-2007, 18:13   #11
parsi
Banned

Send a message via MSN to parsi
I suppose this does show that one should keep ones statements just in case. Along with your tax certs and payslips.

TBH yer mans comments about being able to use google from his laptop are a bit irrelevant especially in light of the fact that up o recently AIB were using Win3.11 on their branch terminals...
03-01-2007, 23:39   #12
superscouse
Superscouse unLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob
Thats a data protection request superscouse not a "request for statements" .

To get the €6.35 package see first

http://www.dataprivacy.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=4

and then for some bits of AIB

http://www.dataprivacy.ie/ViewDoc.as...r=mypage:2;kw:

and finally the main bit is

http://www.dataprivacy.ie/ViewDoc.as...sp?ID=0424%2FA

Write to that fella and tell him you want all your data

All banks charge an arm and a leg for "copy statements" , not just AIB.

I know it is a data protection request but the required statements, the subject of this thread, were all included.I got every statement from the start of time.
03-01-2007, 23:41   #13
superscouse
Superscouse unLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbar
I really wanted to find out my rating for credit purposes, whether there were any notes about me that were inaccurate and generally what info AIB held on me.

All for 6.35 euro
04-01-2007, 17:48   #14
brightspark

The banks know that with the Data Protection Act anyone can simply demand all their details for only 6.35.

This is one of the reasons some banks changed their charging systems a few years ago.
04-01-2007, 20:08   #15
stepbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by superscouse
I really wanted to find out my rating for credit purposes, whether there were any notes about me that were inaccurate and generally what info AIB held on me.

All for 6.35 euro
You sound like you were refused for a loan or something. Were you not happy with the reason given or something? or is that you have a general distrust banks?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion