Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-12-2006, 22:37   #16
mike65

Tis a good lament! (and yes everyone on this thread is heading into the Grumpy Old Men cohort). The nonsence is that the demographic shift is such that the kind of 70/80s quality retro music we love should have an obvious audience and its one radio has'nt spotted - still in thrawl to the 15-25 age group for whom music is 'buzzin', 'bad' and 'savage'.

Excuse me while I brew the kettle for some Horlicks.

Mike.
Advertisement
31-12-2006, 09:28   #17
legspin

I have always been a fan of late night radio. Mr C and Mike Moloney on 2fm, Radio Luxembourg (RIP) and now Donal Dineen on Todayfm.
31-12-2006, 11:26   #18
Greenman

Quote:
Originally Posted by legspin
I have always been a fan of late night radio. Mr C and Mike Moloney on 2fm, Radio Luxembourg (RIP) and now Donal Dineen on Todayfm.
Remember Paul Vincent on ARD, yes that was great late night radio.

Vincent Stuart on Big D.

Oh those were the days.
01-01-2007, 17:25   #19
legspin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman
Remember Paul Vincent on ARD, yes that was great late night radio.

Vincent Stuart on Big D.

Oh those were the days.
Unfortunatly I lived in the sticks. Couldn't get the Dublin pirates.
01-01-2007, 17:31   #20
mentalson

Well we'd really like to stay with you longer
Cause everything was feeling so right
but till we meet again in the morning
this is RTE Radio 2 wishing you a good good night
Advertisement
04-01-2007, 22:25   #21
Dudess
Closed Account

I was only a nipper in the eighties so the radio would firmly be switched off once the Hotline with Barry Lang was over () but, wow, if I'd been the right age I would have loved that Mark Cagney show. Sounds class. Still raging over that other show with "Train" in the title which was dumped from Radio 1 recently to make way for their "brilliant" new schedule.
And I've wanted to know for a long time who sang When Sly Calls. Now I've found out, I've never heard of him in my life. But cheers anyway.
04-01-2007, 22:47   #22
CLADA

A serious blast from the past there lads, are there any real oldies who in their teens listened to the programme Cagneys night train replaced? Am I right in thinking it was Declan Meehan...old,new,borrowed, blue quiz etc..

p.s heres a link for when sly calls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTpXhrWBSAs
Thanks from:
04-01-2007, 23:30   #23
Sponge Bob
Banned

not in the same league at all there was far too much talk on that show where Cagney had no ads and no prattle , just the facts

there used to be a damn fine Dublin pirate contemporaneous with Cagney, was it Capitol or Capital radio.
05-01-2007, 00:24   #24
gernon

I loved Cagney on the Nightrain , played lots of Eagles , Steely Dan and Chris Rea. Pity he became a bit of a tit on TV3's morning show.
Advertisement
06-01-2007, 01:40   #25
Firetrap
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by gernon
I loved Cagney on the Nightrain , played lots of Eagles , Steely Dan and Chris Rea. Pity he became a bit of a tit on TV3's morning show.
Going anywhere near TV3 is a one-way ticket to titdom. I remember Martin King and "Our Man" Aidan Cooney from 98FM and don't remember them being so annoying back then.

The old Mark after Dark show was always good for falling asleep to. Plus, he probably single-handedly kept the Blue Nile going through royalties from airplay.
06-01-2007, 21:32   #26
Shamrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray sparkle
The closest that I have found is the Bob Harris show on BBC Radio 2, but I'd love to listen to Cagney doing a show like that any night!
Very true, murray sparkle. Bob is indeed the only one I can think of whose show resembles the style of Cagney's. Loved reading your post. Brought back some more of what the guy used to play.
09-01-2007, 22:13   #27
Declan A Walsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob
not in the same league at all there was far too much talk on that show where Cagney had no ads and no prattle , just the facts

there used to be a damn fine Dublin pirate contemporaneous with Cagney, was it Capitol or Capital radio.
I believe the station you're thinking of is Capitol Radio which ran from 1983 to midnight 31st December 1988. It was my favourite station of the 80's. It had an alternative bent. Initially, it was a rock-oriented album tracks station. It evolved over time into an alternative rock station. In September 1986, it launched its night-time alter ego service Nitesky Radio, which ran from 6 p.m. Basically, during the daytime, it played a bit more A.O.R. and adult pop, but with plenty of indie stuff. Why oh why has it taken so long to come up with a licenced Alternative Rock station (Phantom).
Enough of the rant!....

Mark Cagney's program was a great program for the person with a genuine interest in music and albums. I remember David and David and The Bible, as well as the other examples mentioned.
10-01-2007, 16:09   #28
murray sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan A Walsh

Mark Cagney's program was a great program for the person with a genuine interest in music and albums. I remember David and David and The Bible, as well as the other examples mentioned.

Again - two artists that I ended up hearing on NightTrain. When people manetion The Bible they generally refer to Graceland. Although I seem to remember Cagney and G Ryan playing 'Mahalia' quite a lot. David and David's Welcome to The Boomtown was played to death. It took me years to get it on CD, but it brought back great memories!

I got the first two Bible CD's in Our Price in Henry Street a few years ago and they were as good as I had remembered!
03-03-2007, 13:13   #29
murray sparkle

I am surprised at how long it is since I last posted on this topic. It's been on my mind on and off since. What has been bugging me is that there really is no source to hear this music anywhere on Irish radio. There are plenty of shows catering for those wanting alternative artists and dance music, but surely some place like Lyric FM could incorporate a show like this into their schedules once a week. After all, they play songs from the shows, crooners, JK ensemble stuff, so why not broaden the parameters just a little. Their JNLR is minimal so I am sure that a late night 'Night Train' type programme showcasing classic album tracks and new album tracks from a certain genre of performers would be well received.

Radio consultants have created a memory vacuum whereby station managers believe that the typical 25 - 54 year old only knows and likes 600 songs in total and that they haven't got the capacity to remember anything from their past that wasn't a universal top five hit.

Amazon wouldn't be the success it was if it didn't sell 'deep catalogue' stock and magazines like 'The Word' in the UK wouldn't be celebrating their 50th edition if it wasn't for the artists mentioned in these posts and their contemporary counterparts.

Where on Irish radio can you hear a mix of Madeline Peyroux, Ry Cooder, Bruce Springsteen, Scritti Politti, David &David, Bowie, Declan O'Rourke, Jackson Browne, RayLaMontagne, Joni Mitchell, Len Cohen, Martha Wainwright, Alfie, Stevie Wonder and other? Nowhere -but I can guarantee that there are people sitting on public transport every day in this country with IPODS choc full of this stuff.
06-03-2007, 16:58   #30
Dudess
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_e17
he probably single-handedly kept the Blue Nile going through royalties from airplay.
That in itself makes me a small bit willing to forgive the man. It's probably an ageist thing to say, but I suppose hitting middle-age makes a person more willing to leave the cutting-edge stuff fall by the wayside and turn their attention to the bland, middle-of-the-road side of things. But then again, look at Dave Fanning. And Ian Dempsey's apparently the wrong side of 45, yet I find the stuff he plays now actually better than fifteen years ago. It's great when he digs out a gem from Ian Dury and the Blockheads or Tubeway Army.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion