Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-11-2006, 13:02   #1
Mountjoy Mugger

NTL Billing, faults, etc

It seems NTL (UPC) have brought in a new system. Whereas before you could pay your bill by keying in your account number, cc number etc, you now go on hold to a Customer Service Rep.

The same with faults; there is no longer a recording of areas that are experiencing faults. Again, you're put in a queue from the outset and left to hang on until a CSR gets to you.

A retrograde step, imo.
Advertisement
21-11-2006, 14:22   #2

Time to brush up on the letter writing skills.
27-11-2006, 12:21   #3
spockety

Mod: DCU, ZTest
I just rang them to downgrade some of my services, and they said I had to ring back on Thursday, there was absolutely nobody there who could help me and they were refusing to do any account changes for the next 3 days! how crazy is that? I said "eh, but I'll be billed for these services for the next 3 days even though I don't want them any more?".. "yes".

Christ.
27-11-2006, 14:22   #4
patrickmooney

Yes, NTL moved into their new call center on Friday. It's Limerick based and seems to be taking calls for both Chorus and NTL. I rang them to upgrade to Movies/Sports, and what an ordeal. Basically they are only talking calls as the system doesn't go live until tomorrow. The new teams are being trained up and it's obvious they are being coached as you can hear their mentor prompting them. They are unsure of what products the company offers yet alone how to deploy them. I was told I'd need an engineer out to upgrade to movies! I know it's only early days, but lets hope things improve!
27-11-2006, 16:17   #5

I had to call them on Saturday morning. BBC News 24 had been off air since the night before.

I actually got through to a real person in under a minute! She apologised in advance, explaining it was the first day looking after Chorus & NTL together.

She was able to tell me that there were a couple of other calls re missing channels and she'd add my call to the list.

BBC News was back when I checked later on that day.

So I have to report a positive experience with the new call centre and it's staff.
Advertisement
04-12-2006, 00:39   #6
patrickmooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmooney
Yes, NTL moved into their new call center on Friday. It's Limerick based and seems to be taking calls for both Chorus and NTL. I rang them to upgrade to Movies/Sports, and what an ordeal. Basically they are only talking calls as the system doesn't go live until tomorrow. The new teams are being trained up and it's obvious they are being coached as you can hear their mentor prompting them. They are unsure of what products the company offers yet alone how to deploy them. I was told I'd need an engineer out to upgrade to movies! I know it's only early days, but lets hope things improve!
Okay I'm 9 days waiting for NTL to set up my sports and movie package. Over two days last week I spent some 3.5 hours waiting on hold for them. Sales tell me it's ordered and I've to contact customer care to find out if it's enabled. This new call center is ridiculous. Does NTL have a customer charter? Anyone know of any solid complaints process?
04-12-2006, 08:48   #7
watty

Quote:
I presume it is simply an old ex-Chorus call center in the ChorusPlex in old Krupps factory in Limerick at Roxborough. But I could be wrong.
Thanks from:
04-12-2006, 10:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spockety
I just rang them to downgrade some of my services, and they said I had to ring back on Thursday, there was absolutely nobody there who could help me and they were refusing to do any account changes for the next 3 days! how crazy is that? I said "eh, but I'll be billed for these services for the next 3 days even though I don't want them any more?".. "yes".

Christ.
I called them on Saturday to get them to downgrade my broadband to the basic package because I wasn't getting anywhere near the advertised speeds. After waiting on hold (I now detest Vivaldi and Bach) for over 3 hours, I finally got cut off. I called back and selected the sales/new accounts option instead of the support one, and got through to some guy who told me he'd put me back in the queue for the support line. Great. So after another 30 minutes waiting on hold, my mobile gave up the ghost and that was that.

This morning, I spent another 30 minutes waiting to speak to somebody in their account cancellation department. I can only imagine that this particular department is extremely busy at the moment.

I've cancelled all of my NTL services and will be getting Sky Digital hooked up sometime in the next couple of weeks, hopefully.

Dave

Last edited by nodger; 04-12-2006 at 10:07.
04-12-2006, 12:21   #9
spockety

Mod: DCU, ZTest
I gave up ringing. I wanted to downgrade my broadband, get rid of movies and sport, and downgrade to Go Digital Select.

Sent two emails to customer.support@ntl.ie and they did it by email after 3 days.
Advertisement
09-12-2006, 12:18   #10
SteM

My box is hanging when I change to the premplus channel and there's a game starting in half an hour

I've been hold for the last 30 minutes and can't see me getting through in time for them to do anything about it. We're getting our first house in January and I'm defo off to Sky, NTLs customer service has gotten WORSE and I wouldn't have thought that would have been possible 3 months ago.
11-12-2006, 00:54   #11
patrickmooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteM
I've been hold for the last 30 minutes and can't see me getting through in time for them to do anything about it. We're getting our first house in January and I'm defo off to Sky, NTLs customer service has gotten WORSE and I wouldn't have thought that would have been possible 3 months ago.
This is pretty amazing, I really hope someone from the new UPC is reading this. It's virtually impossible to get through to the NTL call center. When you do they either hang up or are under trained and pass the buck. I wonder what SKYs customer care is like in comparison?
12-12-2006, 18:46   #12
SteM

Quote:
This is pretty amazing, I really hope someone from the new UPC is reading this. It's virtually impossible to get through to the NTL call center. When you do they either hang up or are under trained and pass the buck.
That's exactly what happens, they either keep hanging up or there's something very wrong with their phone system because I've been cut off a few times now.

Also, this new thing of having no 'general problem in xxx location' message is just stupid. It's common sense! Surely if there are 50 people ringing to report a fault to them then that's 50 people that would be off their phone system once they hear the message? This just blocks the phone system for other people who need help and have to wait 45 minutes to get through to a rep.
15-12-2006, 02:35   #13
messynessie

Sorry it's so long winded but I have had unreal trouble with NTL the past month and a half. I moved house on the 1st of November and decided to bring the NTL digital and broadband with me. Big mistake!
I rang them the day we moved to see what we had to do. I was told just plug everything in in the new house and it will work. I had no problems with the tv but the broadband didn't come on.Anyway to cut a long story short I have called them every few days since then only to be told someone would call back or come out to the house within 24 hours but with no sign of it actually happening. As if this wasn't irritating enough I was on hold every time for anything between 10 and 40 minutes before either reaching a CSR or being cut off.
Eventually 2 weeks ago i cracked and rang demanding to speak to a supervisor or someone who could tell me what was going on. They told me that they don't deal with complaints or service problems...honestly what kind of a customer helpline is it?????
Last week i had just had enough of arranging to be at home for this mysterious tecnician and rang to tell them I no longer wanted their broadband service as they were not upholding their end of the contract. The CSR assured me that in my next bill i would be credited for the services lost and my broadband contract cancelled.
Lo and behold but what should land on my mat this morning but a bill from ntl including broadband for the next 2 months. I actually broke down in tears!
17-12-2006, 20:57   #14
Yakuza

Send a message via MSN to Yakuza
My folks just got a new format bill, outlining their new stragegy:
A few things caught my eye (and pi$$ed me off by adding insult to injury). As well as the €1.50 (7.5%) per month increase, they:
1) They whack you with a €7.68 charge if you're late paying your bill
2) From April 2007, if you *don't* sign up to pay by DD, they stick you for another €2 per bill. Is this even legal?? As far as I can see, it discriminates those customers who don't have a bank account. Personally, I pay by online banking, but it's when *I* choose the money to go out. Forcing someone to sign up to pay by DD (well, penalising those who don't) must surely be anti competitive? I'm going to post in the consumer forum too, see if anyone there knows.
20-12-2006, 21:25   #15

Just been down to my parents house and they have been sent that new billing format. It is a disgrace. They got the bill today Dec 20th and if it's not paid by Dec 21st they will be charged €7.68!! Plus the €2 per payment if you don't sign up for direct debit, are they trying to run customers over to Sky? My oul fellah rang today and spoke to a complete moron who didn't know why they were now charging for TV AND Radio. Radio has been available for over 30 years on your cable TV, why they mntion it now, I don't know, possibly to justify their increase. Just try ringing them to get any info or report a fault.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion