Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

31-10-2006, 19:20   #1
D. Murphy

Send a message via MSN to D. Murphy
Service At Maplin, Limerick

Hello everyone,

I want to share my experience with the staff in Maplin, Childers road, Limerick.

Tonight not 30 minutes ago my Belkin blue tooth dongle died on me after a year of service and i needed a new one so i decided to take a trip to maplin. I grabbed there catalog which i had bought less then a week ago (Yes they charge for there catalog €7 i think it was) so i skimmed through it before i got in the car to check out which dongle. On page 26 or 24 of the book i cant remember now there was a dongle that would work pretty well for me and for only €18 too! Huzza! So here i am happy as Larry crawling to maplin in the busy traffic! I got there and it was in a bit of a state one man was hanging out of the ceiling trying to fix lighting and one of the shelves as you walk in the door was bare and looked like it was about to fall off. After walking around maplin looking for the dongle i had selected in the catalog and couldn't find it i asked the clerk at the desk where it was he took the catalog and old me to go to the back desk and ask for it. I did this and got the dongle from the man at the back desk who told me to go to the front desk to pay. He bagged it up and asked for payment which was €32 people. When i corrected him and said it was €18 in the catalog he said hold on and got the manager of the store to come over the clerk was very friendly but the manager really needs to learn some etiquette he came over the clerk said the price was quoted wrong in the machine and these where the exact words of the manager to my face "So what! we have the right to change the price whenever we want!" he then walked away. In my humble opinion shouldn't a manager try to fix it maybe give an explanation without being an ass? He also said the catalog was over 2 months old and the prices cant be valid before he stormed off. Why would maplin sell a catalog(€7!!!) that same week if the prices where going to be wrong? Then the clerk told me there would be a new catalog available tomorrow in a very friendly manner and he helped me out by giving me a sneak peak at it. After taking one of my friends advice i went to the argos website and reserved a dongle there and i will pick it up tomorrow. See how easy that was with argos?

Anyway i think i began to trail off. In short maplin have a bad taste in managers or a good taste in clerks.

One thing is for sure they lost one customer here. Anyone else every have troubles like this from them? Also maplin = False Advertising?

http://www.odca.ie/cfmdocs/documents...rticle_no=4248

Thank You.
D. Murphy

Last edited by D. Murphy; 31-10-2006 at 21:15.
Advertisement
31-10-2006, 19:28   #2
CiaranC
Closed Account

****ing moron. Hes pissed off because hes a failure in life. Manager in a retail store and he doesnt even understand a basic tenet of retailing - that you have to honour an advertised price.

Guys in Maplin in Blanch are the same, idiots. I had to remind one that he was a checkout boy, not the CEO of Microsoft last time I was in there.
Thanks from:
31-10-2006, 19:31   #3
Kintarō Hattori

Send a message via Skype™ to Kintarō Hattori
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaranC
I had to remind one that he was a checkout boy, not the CEO of Microsoft last time I was in there.
Maybe his attitude was a reflection of your own?
31-10-2006, 19:38   #4
CiaranC
Closed Account

Or maybe he showed disdain when I got an obscure acronym slightly wrong.
31-10-2006, 19:41   #5
D. Murphy

Quote:
****ing moron. Hes pissed off because hes a failure in life.
hahaha i love it.

Honestly i have had no problems up until now but i never had to talk to there "Manager" up until now either. I think ill be ordering my components off the net or purchasing elsewhere from now on.

Thank You.
D. Murphy
Advertisement
31-10-2006, 20:32   #6
Red Alert
Hosted Moderator

HMod: LaTeX
In Dublin, peat's are much better. always got really good service there, in particular from a guy called Stephen in the HiFi's and Ronan in the Computers - both of them really know their stuff and will take their time to explain stuff to you.

I decided I was fed up of mediocre micro systems from argos, and decided to splash out my summer wages on a serious sound system. I spent the best part of an afternoon in there trying out different speakers, amplifiers and CD players and ended up with a system I really liked. Then as a result of buying DJ'ing decks and some renovations at home I decided to upgrade the speakers so I could have two zones. I went in and explained the setup I had already and just like the last time was given both the time and assistance to try out different speakers using the same CD player and Amp I had already. To really cap it all, with my peat's voucher for xmas I decided to round off the system with a good tuner and MD deck. Unfortunately I was on crutches at the time, and my mum had to accompany me into the shop. Although she's not into hifi at all, they really made her welcome and were able to keep her amused whilst I tricked around with different models. The system is playing right now, and I doubt i'll have a different system in ten years time. Great service, well worth it.
31-10-2006, 21:17   #7
Beano

Quote:
****ing moron. Hes pissed off because hes a failure in life. Manager in a retail store and he doesnt even understand a basic tenet of retailing - that you have to honour an advertised price.

No they dont. We've discussed this several times before. Do a google for "invitation to treat"
(2) thanks from:
31-10-2006, 22:39   #8
swingking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano
No they dont. We've discussed this several times before. Do a google for "invitation to treat"
If you quote a price to a customer "verbally" then there is no need to honour that price

It is only when the price is written down that legal issues prevail.

If the price is advertised as 18 euro in a catalogue, by law, the shop must honour the price advertised. If the clerk stated the price was 18euro and it turned out to be 36 euro, the shop can sell the item for the cost of choice.

The physical writing down of prices is known as the "point of sale"
31-10-2006, 23:09   #9
Sam Vimes

Quote:

Guys in Maplin in Blanch are the same, idiots. I had to remind one that he was a checkout boy, not the CEO of Microsoft last time I was in there.
i used to work there. the manager is insane. among many many other things, he doesn't promote any kind of good customer service. i used to get an earful all the time for "spending too long with customers".
Advertisement
31-10-2006, 23:51   #10
Liam Byrne
Closed Account

I'm confused....how come the thread has a "thumbs up" icon ?
01-11-2006, 00:17   #11
D. Murphy

Well it's good to know that so many people agree with me!

And liam i have no idea i set it as thumbs down when i made the thread....

Thank You.
D. Murphy
01-11-2006, 01:08   #12
Kintarō Hattori

Send a message via Skype™ to Kintarō Hattori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano
Yup, just because it's on display at a certain price does not mean it has to be sold at that price. It is as stated an invitation to purchase that item, it's not legally binding.
01-11-2006, 01:35   #13
D. Murphy

People it's not the price that that annoyed me it was the fact the manager was no help at all! i would have been happy to have bought a more expensive item but he was such an ass i just left!

Thank You.
D. Murphy
01-11-2006, 09:37   #14
CiaranC
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by eo980
Yup, just because it's on display at a certain price does not mean it has to be sold at that price. It is as stated an invitation to purchase that item, it's not legally binding.
Then why were tesco fined for displaying incorrect prices a few years back?

Quote:
SUPERMARKET giants Tesco Ireland Ltd, were yesterday fined £3,800 for overcharging and failing to display the price of goods.

The company pleaded guilty to five counts of overcharging and two of not having any price displayed at three of its Dublin stores.

Dublin District Court heard Director of Consumer Affairs inspectors visited the stores and found grocery items charged at between 5p and £1.13 more than their marked price.
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...&issue_id=5578
01-11-2006, 11:24   #15
Beano

Quote:
Then why were tesco fined for displaying incorrect prices a few years back?

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...&issue_id=5578
Totally different issue. They were fined for displaying incorrect prices. That does not mean that they were obliged to sell the goods at those prices.

As you couldnt be bothered to google the term "invitation to treat" as i told you to I did it for you. The first result is Invitation to Treat This sums up the legal position quite well. And before you say this is a british case and doesnt apply here take a look here and here Read the section entitled "Consumer query of the month – a car rental problem"
Thread Closed