Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-08-2011, 23:35   #106
TTWNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamc View Post
love vegetarian cooking and am looking for a really easy one to use day to day with no unusual ingredients
Any suggestions ? also love jamie oliver cookbooks - want to buy them all but sadly recession on so which is the most practical one to get
Hey Miriamc, i have most of Jamie Olivers cookbooks & i am selling them as i am moving abroad soon. all are in good condition & i'm not looking for a huge amount for them.. give me a shout if you are interested in buying some or all of them!
Thanks,
Tom
Advertisement
24-08-2011, 11:45   #107
Swampy

The Silver Spoon is an excellent Italian cook book.
13-12-2011, 15:53   #108
Bella mamma

Indian recipe website?

Am hosting for 10 and would like to make from scratch - no jars!

Was thinking of Chicken Tikka Masala and Lamb Bhuna. Have been browsing a number of sites, but very confused with all the variations. Anyone have a 'tried and tested' recipe site pls? Much appreciated!
13-12-2011, 16:07   #109
Ellis Dee

Try this Indian site:

http://www.tasteandflavours.in/
Thanks from:
13-12-2011, 16:57   #110
jimfinoc

Have you tried indian cooking before! I started off by buying 2 DVD'd off Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Indian...item256a5459dd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAT-CHAPMA...item2c5f5e0320
Advertisement
13-12-2011, 17:21   #111
Bella mamma

No, never!

Am far from a 'chef'. Trying to do a meal that people
- will enjoy (obviously!)
- is all homemade (not sure about the garlic/union naan )
- can linger over

It's in 2 weeks, will check later if have time to get the DVDs - don't mind the investment - would like to do a mini 'trial run' next week.

Many thanks.
13-12-2011, 19:13   #112
Darkginger

This is the best site I've ever found for curry recipes (and I'm a curry nut). http://www.secretcurryrecipes.com/

There are free sections, but subscribing (£6 a year) gives you access to everything. They concentrate on reproducing the taste you get in an Indian restaurant (as opposed to authentic Indian food).

There are several stages to making a restaurant-style curry:

1. getting the correct ingredients
2. making a spice mix
3. making a base gravy
4. pre-cooking the meat and/or vegetables
5. bringing it all together, and using the correct cooking techniques

Check out this YouTube channel for help with all the above http://www.youtube.com/user/leviteish?blend=3&ob=5#p/a - brilliant videos that explain it all very clearly and which have made a real difference to my curry cooking!

Hope that helps, but do ask if you have specific questions

Last edited by Darkginger; 13-12-2011 at 19:15. Reason: typos!
Thanks from:
13-12-2011, 19:48   #113
boodlesdoodles

I use this site a lot for authentic Indian dishes www.mamtaskitchen.com
Dishes from it have never let me down.
13-12-2011, 22:44   #114
Bella mamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
This is the best site I've ever found for curry recipes (and I'm a curry nut). http://www.secretcurryrecipes.com/

There are free sections, but subscribing (£6 a year) gives you access to everything. They concentrate on reproducing the taste you get in an Indian restaurant (as opposed to authentic Indian food).

There are several stages to making a restaurant-style curry:

1. getting the correct ingredients
2. making a spice mix
3. making a base gravy
4. pre-cooking the meat and/or vegetables
5. bringing it all together, and using the correct cooking techniques

Check out this YouTube channel for help with all the above http://www.youtube.com/user/leviteish?blend=3&ob=5#p/a - brilliant videos that explain it all very clearly and which have made a real difference to my curry cooking!

Hope that helps, but do ask if you have specific questions
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain above - very helpful.

Hadn't thought of a curry, the gang coming 'eat anything'!

Your secret site is v good, and the technique vid most welcome. There's one for Bombay Potatoes there too which I was planning. Tried once before and ended up with a mushy mess in the bin.

What curry do you think? What's your favourite - the one you always get even thou you say you'll "try something different this time"?! Lamb?

What do you think of the 2nd dish being Chicken Tikka Masala?
Advertisement
13-12-2011, 22:48   #115
Bella mamma

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodlesdoodles View Post
I use this site a lot for authentic Indian dishes www.mamtaskitchen.com
Dishes from it have never let me down.
Thanks also, a very simple site.

Could I kindly have your favoutite/s too pls?!
14-12-2011, 00:35   #116
Darkginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella mamma View Post
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain above - very helpful.

Hadn't thought of a curry, the gang coming 'eat anything'!

Your secret site is v good, and the technique vid most welcome. There's one for Bombay Potatoes there too which I was planning. Tried once before and ended up with a mushy mess in the bin.

What curry do you think? What's your favourite - the one you always get even thou you say you'll "try something different this time"?! Lamb?

What do you think of the 2nd dish being Chicken Tikka Masala?
Chicken Tikka Masala from scratch is quite involved, since it means making chicken tikka first, as opposed to just plain pre-cooked chicken - but having said that, it's very popular. My personal favourite is a chicken dhansak - which is also slightly more complex than a plain chicken bhuna, madras or similar, because you have to pre-cook the lentils. Not difficult, just one more step on the way!

If it was me, I'd do something like a chicken bhuna, bombay potatoes and perhaps a lamb jalfrezi or dopiaza (I tend not to cook lamb curries much though, because I find it difficult to get the lamb to be tender enough). I do like prawn curries, but they need to be cooked and then served immediately, else the prawns go woody if kept warm for too long.

I'd serve the above with pilau rice (now this may be heresy, but I find basmati rice, boiled with Schwarz Pilau Rice seasoning, perfectly satisfactory). Cook in loads of boiling water (with spices added) until just done (about 10 mins max), drain well, tip into an ovenproof dish, put a blob of red food colouring (a very small one) at one end of the dish, and another of yellow at the other. Do NOT stir in! Pop into a cool (100-120 degree) oven for about 10 -15 mins to dry the rice out, remove, and now mix - you should get impressively multi-coloured pilau rice

I make naan bread too - I think one of the videos in the link in my previous post shows you how (not in an oven!) - but if you can get hold of some nigella (black onion) seeds, add a spoonful of those to the mix - adds to the restaurant taste.
14-12-2011, 09:19   #117
jimfinoc

We did this Lamb Jalfrezi the other night and it was great. We allways get the cheep cuts of lamb and cook for at least 2 hours. If it tends to catch or stick to the bottom of the pot just add some warm water. The water will boil off, reduce, later on.
This is the link to the lamb Jalfrezi:= http://projectspice.co.uk/2010/02/28/lamb-jalfrezi/
14-12-2011, 09:26   #118
Washout

Send a message via ICQ to Washout Send a message via AIM to Washout
there is an app for phone called sweet'n'spicy whic is pretty cool
14-12-2011, 09:45   #119
jimfinoc

My suggestions for your meal.
1) Start off with some popadoms and some dips. All of which can be prepaired well in advance.
2) I would set out 2 meat dishes and a veg dish. You could do the Lamb Jalfrezi and a Chicken Dopiaza. The lamb will be a bit on the warm side, If you want it a little milder leave out 1 chilli. Remember It's not all about the heat!!
3) For the veg dish, do a lental Taka Dhle and add some standard curry paste with some mushrooms and collie florets.
4) With the above you can serve boiled rice, ( If you want to cheet a bit just add some Tumeric to the rice, not too much, just to colour it. There will be so much other spices around they will not miss the spices in the rice) and Naan bread.
5) Try and get all your spices in an indian store. Tesco and Supervalue will not have all you want and will be expencive for what they have.
What part of the country are you in? I'm sure someone can point you to a good indian shop.
14-12-2011, 13:08   #120
Bella mamma

Thankyou.

Looked up Chicken Dhansak on mamtaskitcken.com (will join secretcurryrecipes.com), and like this BUT there are 2 very different recipes, traditional and a quick version. The former is lentil based (as Darkginger mentioned) with potato; the latter has tomatoes/aubergines/pumkin/lentils/potato.........sounds nice. Time isn't an issue, will make dishes the day before, this is a New Year's Eve party.

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_...y.php?id=13097
http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_...y.php?id=12812

Had been considering Chicken Tikka Massala so they'd be 2 very different dishes, and cos I like the almond sprinkles! Are the spices (i.e. taste) sufficiently different in Dhansak and Jalfrezi? Sadly, I find I'm never sure which is which with (Lamb) Bhuna and Roghan Gosh. If they are not too similar, will go with this.

Yes, the naan bread technique is on your youtube link

Jimfinoc, do you mean to make pompodoms?? What dips do you use pls?

Darkginger, will go with your rice, may as well totally dazzle them . What spices do you add?

Am in Dublin - city center/Dublin 2, 6, 8, 12 convenient.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion