Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite Cook Book/Recipe/Food-related Site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Threads Merged.

tHB

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

As this has been bumped I must say I got Lorraine Pascale's "Fast Fresh and Easy" book for my birthday at the back end of last year and I haven't looked at another book since. It's exactly what it says on the tin!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Got Michael Symon's Carnivore recently and it's great for cuts of meat you'd never think of using. Interesting side dishes too.

As for websites this may have been mentioned already but www.seriouseats.com is a must read daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Nicker

The Surf Cafe Cookbook is my favorite cookbook yet, I'm incredibly choosy about what I cook with and the food in this is all Irish and they are all Irish inspired recipes. Shells Cafe in Strandhill, Sligo is where the book comes from, couldn't recommend this book enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Nicker wrote: »
    The Surf Cafe Cookbook is my favorite cookbook yet, I'm incredibly choosy about what I cook with and the food in this is all Irish and they are all Irish inspired recipes. Shells Cafe in Strandhill, Sligo is where the book comes from, couldn't recommend this book enough.

Had a look at this book myself recently and it does look very good. Had the pleasure of visiting the cafe myself when I was in Sligo recently and it's a fantastic place. My most recent purchase was The Silver Spoon and it's a trove of information....really good and probably the only italian book I'll ever need..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Loire wrote: »
    Had a look at this book myself recently and it does look very good. Had the pleasure of visiting the cafe myself when I was in Sligo recently and it's a fantastic place. My most recent purchase was The Silver Spoon and it's a trove of information....really good and probably the only italian book I'll ever need..

I have the silver spoon, and its great - but watch the quantites, especially for some of the cakes. I've had quite a few failures with the cakes/desserts until it occurred to me to amend the quantities.

I also like Thomasina Meiers mexican books.

I keep going back to www.taste.com.au. Its probably already mentioned. I like the way the food is photographed and there is a lot of fusion type food which is my favourite kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The silver spoon is one of the most used items on my bookshelf too.

Another favourite is the original Cafe Paradiso cookbook. From the cork veg restaurant. This is the best of the three in my mind. Espeically the dessert section. Best lemon tart recipe in the world (imho).
    http://www.cafeparadiso.ie/book1

Rick Stein's Seafood, mega reference. For filleting, types of fish, loads of sauces. Fantastic.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rick-Steins-Seafood-Stein/dp/056349347X

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Favourite cook books at the minute are Lorraine Pascales (the one with the red cover) and the Hairy Biker's Hairy Dieters! Love them both!

gillapino wrote: »
    Favourite cook books at the minute are Lorraine Pascales (the one with the red cover) and the Hairy Biker's Hairy Dieters! Love them both!

Fast, Fresh and Easy? I got it for my birthday last December and by New Year I'd made nearly everything in it. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Fast, Fresh and Easy? I got it for my birthday last December and by New Year I'd made nearly everything in it. Love it.

That's a good ad for it - might get it myself :-)

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    That's a good ad for it - might get it myself :-)

The TV show of it is being repeated on Saturday mornings on BBC1 at 11:30. Gives a fairly good idea of what the book is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I love it, The jerk chicken and coconut and kidney bean rice is amazing! As well as the chicken tikka masala and Sri Lankan chicken curry!

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jrby

for average cook.....something like rachel khoo.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Julia Child - mastering the art of French cooking maybe? It's the only French cookbook I use.

Some of it is a bit obscure/fancy but there are quite a few things in it that are simple enough that I make regularly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Threads merged.

Eh, our posts kinda make no sense now without the thread title. Jrby had asked for French cookbook suggestions just in case anyone is wondering what is going on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Eh, our posts kinda make no sense now without the thread title. Jrby had asked for French cookbook suggestions just in case anyone is wondering what is going on!

Jrby doesn't seem to be asking a question as much as bringing up the subject of French cookbooks, and anyway the purpose of this thread is for discussion/recommendations of Cook Books etc. Anyone clicking on the 'new posts' button beside the thread title will see all of tonight's posts so they'll make sense, especially as there's a subtitle at the top of Jrby's initial post.

Jrby doesn't seem to be asking a question as much as bringing up the subject of French cookbooks, and anyway the purpose of this thread is for discussion/recommendations of Cook Books etc. Anyone clicking on the 'new posts' button beside the thread title will see all of tonight's posts so they'll make sense, especially as there's a subtitle at the top of Jrby's initial post.

Ah, I see. I was on mobile site earlier and there's no subtitle then, it looks like it came out of nowhere - thought I'd just clarify :)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jrby

Hi Guys,

I was actually looking for suggestions for some books....

Thanks for the help.

James

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

jrby wrote: »
    for average cook.....something like rachel khoo.....

Joanne Harris has a couple of reasonably accessible ones; the one I have is French Market. Not sure how easy it will be to get at the moment though, haven't seen it in a book shop for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 jackd1

Did anyone see a recent recipe on tv for a fish fillet wrapped in spinach cooked in filo pastry? I thought it was Tom Kerridge but I can't find it anywhere on the web pages of his series. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Hi all

Would be very interested to hear from anyone who has bought this book by Susan Jane White and used this book please, very few reviews available online so if anyone has it your thoughts would be much appreciated!

Seems to be interesting, and have heard her on the radio a few times & her no gluten/sugar approach is of interest to me, just wondering if this book is worth the whopping €27 price tag!! (Although its available on G&M for €22.50 ish at the moment)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Idol

Hey,
    Got this book a few weeks ago and have to say it's well worth the €20 I paid for it. I recently went wheat/dairy/egg free and was at a loss as to what I could eat but I've now tried a few of the bread recipes from this book, as well as quinoa and muffin recipes and have to say I don't think I'd go back to wheat, etc. Very tasty and turned out really well. Moving on to the main courses next, easy to follow recipes so defo buy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Thanks for the reply! The book has literally just landed in the post from Gill & Macmillan, they have 20% off and free postage so decided Id treat myself! Looks really good, will sit down this evening and go through it in great detail!! I too am really interested in gluten and dairy free in particular and looking for inspiration, especially for making my own breads etc. Hoping this will do the trick!! Oh and sorry just realised I spelt her name wrong in the title of the post, duno how I managed that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭elaine.rodger

My sister is getting me two Mary Berry cookbooks for Christmas. I know I definitely want the Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook as it was recommended to me. I was then thinking of getting Mary Berry's Cookery Course but I see now she has a new one out called Mary Berry Cooks The Perfect.

I'm not to sure which one to get along with the other one. Would Mary Berry's Cookery Course or Mary Berry Cooks The Perfect be better. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't have any of her cookbooks, but I'd be inclined to go with the older, pre-GBBO books if you'd prefer classic, reliable recipes. From flicking through them, the newer books can be a bit gimmicky.

Also, mod action: merged with cookbooks mega thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

My local public library has a great selection of cook/recipe books.

Anything from Silver Spoon to special diets ( e.g. diabetic ) via Delia, Jamie 'n such

Before you go buying get browsing in your local library !

Olddog

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Jamie Oliver's Food Tube (youtube channel) and SORTED Food (.com/youtube channel)

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

My sister is getting me two Mary Berry cookbooks for Christmas. I know I definitely want the Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook as it was recommended to me. I was then thinking of getting Mary Berry's Cookery Course but I see now she has a new one out called Mary Berry Cooks The Perfect.

I'm not to sure which one to get along with the other one. Would Mary Berry's Cookery Course or Mary Berry Cooks The Perfect be better. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Thanks

If it's any use to you, Lily Higgins bakery book is very good, good for beginners and more experienced bakers ☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks

Definitely recommend the Complete Cookbook. However, the last time I saw the new edition in the bookshop it was a design mess - all over the place. If you can get an older version with simple layout (white pages) then grab it!

Advertisement