Forum Closed  

29-06-2006, 19:57   #1
cgarvey
Hosted Moderator

[Release] ComReg: Irish telecoms most expensive in EU

Press Release issued. Feel free to discuss.
Advertisement
29-06-2006, 22:01   #2
cgarvey
Hosted Moderator

TCM Coverage
29-06-2006, 22:05   #3
damien

Ireland.com breaking news. (Registration needed.)
29-06-2006, 23:08   #4
dahamsta
Banned

ElectricNews.net (currently b0rked)
Thanks from:
29-06-2006, 23:19   #5
damien

INN this evening and possibly in the morning. Metro too.
Advertisement
29-06-2006, 23:42   #6
jwt

From the electric news article Adam linked

Quote:
DSL accounts for 74 percent of total broadband subscribers, with other platforms accounting for the remaining 26 percent. Eircom's dominance in the broadband market is gradually slipping -- in the quarter ending 31 March the former incumbent had 54 percent of broadband subscriptions, compared to 63 percent in the year-ago quarter.

Where do I start with that...........resellers anyone?

John
30-06-2006, 00:13   #7
dahamsta
Banned

It's ENN jwt. Intelligent coverage and commentary optional.

Do you reckon they have a parrot around the office as a mascot?

adam
Thanks from:
30-06-2006, 07:06   #8
damien

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishex...237-qqqx=1.asp
30-06-2006, 09:20   #9
shoegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien.m
I'm quite amazed that anybody actually believes this nonsensical notion that the Irish pay more because we "talk more." Incredible what excuses that are made to justify usury in Ireland.

Ireland has the "6th cheapest" mobile costs - out of how many countries? 6?

Quote:
The report states: “This is largely due to Eircom’s higher costs associated with ... its significantly higher rural-based population.”
Bull***t. The UK has a similar level of rural populations, as do France and countries like Switzerland, but this is not priced into BT or France Telecoms costs. Its nonsensical to keep suggesting this.

What I do notice is the limited level of competition in the market. Almost all the operators basically offer the same thing at similar prices. Is this not price fixing? For example look at the basic package from all 4 operators:

3 Ireland
Talk and Text 200 €25 a month, 100 voice minutes & 100 text messages incl. Other calls 15c landlines 30c mobiles Text messages 9c

Meteor
Meteor Talk 60 Monthly Committment €20 Minutes Included 60 Cost for extra minutes 20c pm Texts included 30

Vodafone
Price Plan Perfect Fit 30 Monthly Fee €19 Free Call Minutes 30 Call a friend for free minutes 50 Other calls 35c p/m Text messages 13c

O2
Price plan Easy life 150 Monthly Charge €20
Minutes included 150 (All networks) Texts included 50 O2 & Nat calls 30c/15c Peak/Off-peak Calls to other Irish mobile networks 35c

Forgive me if I am imagining things but I see very little difference between 3 of the 4 plans - Vodafone being the exception as you get so much less!

The problem is the same for landlines. There are 3 patterns:
1. Line rental (slightly) discounted and calls set at a price a bit below eircom
2. Line rental plus bundle of calls for a fixed amount
3. Line rental remains with eircom but for a fee of 10-15 euros get free calls (effectively getting similar prices to the top eircom talktime package)

On examination, Perlico, eircom, GAA Telecom, TalkTalk, BT and Imagine all offer option 2 for prices ranging from 29.99 to 39.99 - almost all are indentical. Only Perlico at 30 a month is significantly discounting the eircom package - most re just knocking about 2 euros a month off it - a paltry saving of 24 euros a year. No wonder so many are not changing away from eircom.
Advertisement
30-06-2006, 09:41   #10
damien

Lies.

Pg 49 50 and 51 of this EU report shows that for their mobile comparison baskets for low usage we are 4th most expensive country, for medium usage we are 3rd most expensive and for heavy usage we are 4th most expensive.

The structure of these baskets:

baskets are:
• Low usage basket with:
25 outgoing calls per month + 30 SMS messages
42% of calls are to fixed line phones, 58% to mobile phones

• Medium usage basket with:
75 outgoing calls per month + 35 SMS messages
36% of calls are to fixed line phones, 64% to mobile phones

• High usage basket with:
150 outgoing calls per month + 42 SMS messages
40% of calls are to fixed line phones, 60% to mobile phones

Each basket also has a unique definition of time of day distribution and call duration, and includes the monthly rental, and any registration charges distributed over 3 years.
30-06-2006, 10:06   #11
Sponge Bob
Banned

Where do Comreg get these misleading 'baskets' of theirs from ?

Nice to see that Switzerland was taken out of the EU ARPU figures by Comreg for the first time seeing as the Swiss voted to stay out of the EU in a referendum and all

Now we are top of the table, wehhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

And did anyone hear Isolde speaking to Emma McNamara at the end of 5/7 live yesterday, Emma took no prisoners
30-06-2006, 10:41   #12
jwt

Quote:
ComReg’s public affairs manager, Tom Butler, said the comparisons used were available for the public to see in the report and the results spoke for themselves.
Yes they do speak for themselves.....doesn't mean they are saying good things though, does it?

What a condescending attitude. Take it or leave it eh? A nice not actually denying it statement, but makes it look like they have not skewed the results by selective data sampling. Tom's getting better at the political type comments. So to all those who moan that Comreg don't learn from their mistakes, your wrong.

Reminds me of a policeman talking about a young fella caught committing burglaries via his fingerprints.
When asked by the judge if he had learned his lesson, said moron replied "Yes your honour, next time I'll wear gloves"

John
30-06-2006, 10:44   #13
dahamsta
Banned

Unison (no cite)
Midlands Radio (no cite, inn?)
Thanks from:
30-06-2006, 10:44   #14
dahamsta
Banned

Won't be long before Tom moves to Eircom.

(I was being facetious, but out of curiousity, do they have clauses in their contracts preventing this?)

adam
Thanks from:
30-06-2006, 12:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegirl
Bull***t. The UK has a similar level of rural populations, as do France and countries like Switzerland, but this is not priced into BT or France Telecoms costs. Its nonsensical to keep suggesting this.
Not quite. Ireland has a fairly unique type of "ribbon development". Other countries have a much more clustered rural population - a far higher percentage of the rural population live in villages rather than outside them.

Quote:
What I do notice is the limited level of competition in the market. Almost all the operators basically offer the same thing at similar prices. Is this not price fixing? For example look at the basic package from all 4 operators:

3 Ireland
Talk and Text 200 €25 a month, 100 voice minutes & 100 text messages incl. Other calls 15c landlines 30c mobiles Text messages 9c

Meteor
Meteor Talk 60 Monthly Committment €20 Minutes Included 60 Cost for extra minutes 20c pm Texts included 30

Vodafone
Price Plan Perfect Fit 30 Monthly Fee €19 Free Call Minutes 30 Call a friend for free minutes 50 Other calls 35c p/m Text messages 13c

O2
Price plan Easy life 150 Monthly Charge €20
Minutes included 150 (All networks) Texts included 50 O2 & Nat calls 30c/15c Peak/Off-peak Calls to other Irish mobile networks 35c

Forgive me if I am imagining things but I see very little difference between 3 of the 4 plans - Vodafone being the exception as you get so much less!
More than 30% spread between the cost of the highest and lowest, 5 times as many minutes in one package as in another, and more than 100% difference in the price of "extra" minutes between some packages.

Yeah, I see what you mean about obvious price fixing between operators (NOT!)

Eircom spokespersons and ComReg bods get paid to spout misleading statistics. There's no point in trying to compete with them. It doesn't help anyone.

Last edited by Foxwood; 30-06-2006 at 12:24.
Forum Closed