Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Forum Closed  

30-03-2006, 10:55   #1

Feile Draíochta

any news on this years?
Advertisement
30-03-2006, 12:17   #2

http://www.irishwitchcraft.com/fd05/fd05.html

There you go

Taking place on the 22nd of July.
30-03-2006, 15:37   #3
Ruadan

Trev, trev, trev, i meant to ask him about that at the weekend but never had the chance, one of our group did though and he was very excited about the prospect.
31-03-2006, 09:38   #4
joseph dawton

I went last year (and the year before) it was excellent a great venue and I highly recommend going as the talks are good quality, there are lots of stalls and the evening entertainment was great too.

http://www.electricpublications.com
07-06-2006, 21:57   #5
tk123

Can anyone go to this?
Advertisement
07-06-2006, 22:39   #6

Yes anyone can attend if they buy a ticket, there will be staff to assist people but that will also be assiting trouble makers of the pemises with the aid of the hotel staff.

The talks and workshops are included in the price of the tickets and so is the evening enterainments.

Quote:
Féile Draíochta
Festival of Irish Magic and Spirituality

Explore Contemporary Ireland's Magic

Featuring talks and workshops on tarot, crystals, druidry, witchcraft, shamanism, magic, environmental issues, Irish traditions, herbalism, and many more from top authors and experts in the country.

The tickets, posters and leaflets for this year's event have arrived! It's at the same venue as last year, Chief O'Neill's in Smithfield, Dublin, on 22nd July 2006. Doors open at 10 am until Midnight, and your ticket pays for all talks, workshops and evening entertainment.

Tickets are on sale at the House of Astrology in Dublin (http://www.houseofastrology.net), and cost €15 before the Summer Solstice (22nd June), and €20 after. They will also be on sale at the Dublin and Wexford Moots, and the Roscommon Social Sundays. Contact us for more information!

Online booking will be available at our site (www.feiledraiochta.net) from Monday.

We have another great line up this year, with talks and workshops from:

Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki,
JH (Herbie) Brennan,
Lady Olivia Robertson (Fellowship of Isis),
Janet Farrar,
Trevor Sargent TD (Green Party Leader),
Jacquie Burgess,
Bev Richardson,
Deirdre Wadding,
Cait Branigan,
Pat Griffin,
Diann Fletcher Jones,
Gina McGarry,
Lydia Gilligan,
and Fran Devenney.

Our Magical Marketplace runs from 10am - 6pm, and there will be Healers and Psychic Readers for consultation in that same time frame. (Stallholders, healers, and readers who wish to book but haven't got in contact yet, please email us! We will be taking bookings and allocating spaces from next week).

Fantastic evening entertainment from:
Rashani Wendy Marlatt & Tribal Belly Dance Troupe Fáol Lia Celtic Re-enactment & Fire Dancing Lunar Gate Pagan Rock Metal Live Band DJ Taorleach Dance til you Drop!

If anybody knows a shop or business that would sell tickets, or can distribute leaflets and put up posters, please contact Barbara on 087-2500064, Lora on 086-0713817, or email us at: info@feiledraiochta.net

Thanks to all who have supported Féile Draíochta in so many ways over the years, it's getting better all the time because it is truly of and for the community!

Lora & Barbara

www.feiledraiochta.net

Last edited by Nevyn; 02-09-2008 at 15:42.
28-06-2006, 12:37   #7

Chief O'Niels has recently changed it's name to The Park Inn hotel.
Feile Draiochta is still going ahead in the Venue.

Park Inn Hotel ( formerly Chief O'Niels) Smithfield Village, Dublin 7, Co. Dublin
the red line luas rus right beside the venue for ease of acess from the city centre.
20-07-2006, 10:32   #8
Bambi

whats the martial arts display going to be? the term Samurai styles is a bit skeptical eye brow raising tbh?
20-07-2006, 10:37   #9

why not email the orgainisers and ask.

info@feiledraiochta.net
Advertisement
20-07-2006, 15:25   #10
hairyheretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi
whats the martial arts display going to be? the term Samurai styles is a bit skeptical eye brow raising tbh?
Could possibly be ju jitsu, or a similar style. I was told that those were the styles taught to samurai so that they could fight on a battlefield if they lost their weapons.
20-07-2006, 16:41   #11

the samurai style is actually really beautiful to watch! as far as i can see, it's a much more fluid and acrobatic style of martial arts. i find karate etc emphasise solidity and strength, samurai styles are more about using every inch of you to be flexible and deliver inventive ways of defeating your opponent. it's also deeply rooted in the spiritual.

basically, it looks cool! lol, sorry, not being a martial artist, this is the best description i can give!
22-07-2006, 19:32   #12
snorlax

what did everyone think? the place was roasting, no air at all except for the white room. I went out of curiosity with a friend but only stayed two hours as i have a really bad cough/ cheast infection. was there any really good speakers before 4? i'm sorry i missed the fire dancers and the martial artists. I ended up bumping into a few people i know at the festival too ( saw Thaed from a distance too). any views on the best speakers?
22-07-2006, 21:35   #13
hairyheretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raminahobbin
the samurai style is actually really beautiful to watch! as far as i can see, it's a much more fluid and acrobatic style of martial arts.
I think they said the first style was ninpo <SP?>, a ninjutsu form.

Quote:
i find karate etc emphasise solidity and strength, samurai styles are more about using every inch of you to be flexible and deliver inventive ways of defeating your opponent.
Yes and no. Every style has its own good points. With karates (to my knowledge) emphasis on strikes, it means that someone who trains in that style will be better with those techniques, that someone who trained in a style that placed less emphasis on those. I recognised several of the throws and things they did, having learned those (or variants of them) when I did ju jitsu.

Quote:
it's also deeply rooted in the spiritual.
Not sure how much spiritual we can take from that demo

Quote:
basically, it looks cool! lol, sorry, not being a martial artist, this is the best description i can give!
No worries. Might be interesting to kick off a thread in the martial arts forum and see how many styles place any importance on the spiritual aspects.
24-07-2006, 13:50   #14
Bambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyheretic
Could possibly be ju jitsu, or a similar style. I was told that those were the styles taught to samurai so that they could fight on a battlefield if they lost their weapons.
They were, but people in this part of the world have a habit a slapping terms like "samurai style" and "ju-jutsu" onto martial arts that were invented in a scouts hall in doncaster back in 1981 or something . Genuine Japanese martial arts that have survived from that period are very rare in the west, hence the scepticism
24-07-2006, 15:54   #15
hairyheretic

Quote:
They were, but people in this part of the world have a habit a slapping terms like "samurai style" and "ju-jutsu" onto martial arts that were invented in a scouts hall in doncaster back in 1981 or something .
And anyone teaching something like that will be recognised, sooner or later. I have a book from 1903 on ju jitsu, and I recognise a number of the techniques shown there from my own training.

While what I learned may not be exactly the same as was taught 400 or 500 years ago, certain elements of it would be, and can be traced back that far.

Quote:
Genuine Japanese martial arts that have survived from that period are very rare in the west, hence the scepticism
Understandable, but I'm sure you could give benefit of the doubt. I would suppose the term samurai styles was used to give most people an image they could recognise.
Forum Closed