Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

eircom speed increases on the way download and upload speed increase

• 22-11-2005 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

By the power of 3. Heard this from 3 sources so it is almost unofficial confirmation.

New entry level broadband product is 2mbps down 256kbps up.

Highest speed product will be 5mbps down 512kbps up.

Not the best upload speed at all. Speed increases start in January for all eircom and bistream resellers.

I'm sure this is to directly challenge the Digiweb package and the Magnet 24mbps package. Dunno about prices yet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Come on NTL!!! :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm sure they can expect even more people to start using VoIP now that the upstream will be somewhat decent.

I doubt NTL will increase the upstream on their 3MB product but they might on their 2MB & 1MB products, I'd also imagine they'll bring out something better then 3MB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Cabaal wrote:
    I'm sure they can expect even more people to start using VoIP now that the upstream will be somewhat decent.

Do you have problems with VOIP? I have 128kbps upload and it works fine for me (Skype) once I am not uploading anything else at the same time.

As an aside, is there any program that can be used allocate an amount of bandwidth for a particular program? For example if I want to allocate 80kbps for Skype and the remainder for everything else so as to ensure Skype will still run when I'm sending a large email, etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so is that 5mb for the current Homeplus customers who are currently on 2mb with a 16gig cap? any news on a cap increase?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Do you have problems with VOIP? I have 128kbps upload and it works fine for me (Skype) once I am not uploading anything else at the same time.

As an aside, is there any program that can be used allocate an amount of bandwidth for a particular program? For example if I want to allocate 80kbps for Skype and the remainder for everything else so as to ensure Skype will still run when I'm sending a large email, etc.

On fancy smancy routers these days you can setups QoS(Quality Of Service) and prioritise packets going out a certain port. If I ever get broadband (12th of never) I would defo get a router capable of such a feat!

However, I'm sure there is something you can get that will do similar on your local computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I have my doubts. Eircom can't even provide me with the speed I'm paying for, how are they going to upgrade it? Don't trust that company as far as I can throw them, but we'll see. Would be nice to see half-way decent speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If you can't get max speed now, you're not going to get it in the future either.

2Mbps to 5Mbps, that's a fairly narrow range.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Blaster99 wrote:
    If you can't get max speed now, you're not going to get it in the future either.

The min speed never rose as the packages improved in the past year or so. You are guaranteed what they always guaranteed which is 256k down...no matter what your package is.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Sponge Bob wrote:
    You are guaranteed what they always guaranteed which is 256k down...no matter what your package is.

Well that's bull for a start. My estate has had problems lately where sometimes we're lucky if we can get dialup speeds. They have told us there is a problem with the exchange but won't fix it till the new year but then still expect us to pay for full service. Assholes!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well I don't personally have a problem as I'm on a BT Business line ;)

To be honest Skype will work on a 56K Dailup connection but then again its not *really* VoIP so I don't think its a fair test compared to the likes of Vonage, Blueface or Gizmo

• Advertisement

My guess is NTL double their speeds. 6, 4, 2 mb.

This gives a faster than Eircon speed
    A mid range (probably the same price as Eircon's low price one)
    same as Eircon's low price one only cheaper.

LFCFan wrote:
    Well that's bull for a start. My estate has had problems lately where sometimes we're lucky if we can get dialup speeds. They have told us there is a problem with the exchange but won't fix it till the new year but then still expect us to pay for full service.

You should pay pro rata the minimum 256k so if you connect at 50k you should only have to pay 20% of the BB charge or 0% seeing as it is not functioning at its floor guaranteed speed.

The 256k minimum is buried in the FAQ ....somewhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hey guys just a few questions, if businesses have high broad band speeds why isnt voip being used if its cheaper? is it unreliable, unstable, not practicle or what? how much chepaer is it? and i only ever hear skype mentioned why is that? are they the dominant force or is everyone else useless or what? thaks for help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Blaster99 wrote:

The problem isn't the lines, that they're too old or anything like that (it's a new estate and apparantly the lines are "as clear as I've ever seen on any line" quote Eircom rep), the problem is that Eircom have essentially overloaded the exchange and aren't interested in fixing it till January. My problem is that I have no faith in Eircom as a company as they've been screwing me/us around for far too long.
    (I'm in the same area as LFCFan)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Cabaal wrote:
    Well I don't personally have a problem as I'm on a BT Business line ;)
    Are they still doing the SDSL ULL product? How much?

Idbatterim wrote:
    hey guys just a few questions, if businesses have high broad band speeds why isnt voip being used if its cheaper? is it unreliable, unstable, not practicle or what? how much chepaer is it? and i only ever hear skype mentioned why is that? are they the dominant force or is everyone else useless or what? thaks for help :)

Have a look at the VOIP forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542. Skype were the first to get a name out but IMO they are far from the best VOIP provider.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While this will be nice for all existing BB owners and specially for those interested in VoIP, what we really need is an always-on 512k or 1m entry level product for €20 per month for all those people who still haven't signed up for BB because it is too expensive at the moment.

A 512k/128k product for €20 would be perfect for the many people who just do dial up at the moment and it would finaly kill off ISDN.

These jumps in speed seem to be just a tactic by Eircom not to reduce the prices of their products, instead they keep them artifically high by uping the speed.
    paulm17781 wrote:
    My guess is NTL double their speeds. 6, 4, 2 mb.

That sounds very logical, however recent rumours have it that NTL:Ireland are preparing a 8Mbit/s service. So this might be 2, 4, 6, 8 or maybe 2, 4/5, 8.

It is fun to look at the speeds that are offered by UPC across europe:
    http://www.lgi.com/europe.html

They typically have four products, ranging from €15 up, some highlights are Netherlands 384k/128k for €15, Netherlands and Sweden 1m/256k for €23 and €24, at the high end, Sweden 24m/8m for €49 and 24m/1m for €40 (that puts Magnet in their place), but that seems to be unusual, Netherlands 20/2 is €80 and Norway 26/1.5 is €126.

We will probably get something like:
    2m/200k - €25
    5m/500k - €35
    8m/800k - €45

They might even have an entry level product, something like 512k/128k for €15, actually something like this already exists called NTL BB Starter, but NTL don't advertise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭^pt^

As an aside, is there any program that can be used allocate an amount of bandwidth for a particular program?
    http://www.netlimiter.com/

Personally I'm very happy with an upload increase. Unfortunately it's still only 256k instead of 512k like most other places with 2mbit :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Old 1Mb Downstream / 128k Upstream
    New 2Mb Downstream / 256k Upstream

Old 2Mb Downstream / 128k Upstream
    New 3Mb Downstream / 384k Upstream

Old 3Mb Downstream / 256k Upstream
    New 4Mb Downstream / 384k Upstream

Old 4Mb Downstream / 256k Upstream
    New 5Mb Downstream / 512k Upstream

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Thanks Damien, nothing majorily exciting there, nice for people interested in VoIP (but sort of unnecessary as you will still have to pay Eircom line rental and UTV give free local and national calls in the evenings and weekends).

It is a pity they don't have an entry level 512k product, but then that would eat into their dail-up and ISDN money pots.

Hopefully this will push NTL, Smart and the others into a round of much better upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hmm, nice to have a moderate increase in the upload but the download increase is very small, not much difference between 2mb and 3mb, the 3mb on eircom still wont be as fast as ntls 3mb due to overheads etc.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Are they still doing the SDSL ULL product? How much?

Not sure about SDSL lines tbh, I have a LLU ADSL line which is FINALLY being unbundled so I won't be paying eircom a penny....many many months of BT lieing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Oh great. The last upgrade caused nothing but problems for me. Something (the line, I'm guessing) couldn't handle the 2Mb and I couldn't stay connected. I had to drop to 1Mb. I won't be able to drop this time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

So after christmas, I can look forward to a 2M/256 service as opposed to my current 1M/128k service. This will be very nice. While the speed increases are advertised for eircom, BT customers will also get these speed increases as they are reselling eircoms BitStream product

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i have a client who wants to run vpns as well as voip, hosting, remote access he has the top level package from eircom guess what wireless is coming and he can get 4mb up and down wonder what we'll go for. the "business" level package even with these upgrades its pathetic. the problem is when people get broadband they start using it amazing. most clients i've dealt with in the north go for sdsl now they dont even touch adsl
    eircom hasn't got a clue as to what customers want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

iwireless is coming and he can get 4mb up and down wonder what we'll go for.

That sounds terribly familiar. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

HelterSkelter, care to add? :)

Gonzo wrote:
    hmm, nice to have a moderate increase in the upload but the download increase is very small, not much difference between 2mb and 3mb, the 3mb on eircom still wont be as fast as ntls 3mb due to overheads etc.

Or Smart. The PPPOe overhead (packets used to control data) is calculated separately by Smart . I would hope that Magnet are the same as Smart of course. I suspect they are .

An Eircom 2048 (2Mb) could include about 128k of overhead in the stream meaning that the efective max is c. 1920 k . A Smart 2048 is 2048 + the 128k on top.

Put another way, Smart have a good advertising standards case against Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Good to see any increases. Any word on whether caps will be increased also?

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

skywalker wrote:
    with a 5Mbit connection, you'd have to have a cap increase or you'd get through it way too quick. I reckon we should see another doubling of caps. Would be a nice addtion to to the packages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

skywalker wrote:

Hopefully, but in fairness the cap is not really enforced anyway, so we're still pretty safe.

Advertisement