Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour [route options published]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Scotia Major

Which is it then? if the advances in alternative fuel energy take place then i'm sure we'll see it implemented in both cars & planes,

Ah come off it now there's already electric cars. How many 747's do you see powered by electric, lmao!!!! We will not see it implemented in planes. They require way to much energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Some local groups had coverage in the echo. They seem to be claiming that the Arklow and Drogheda Bypasses should not have been built and that they damaged the towns..They don't provide any evidence of this.

http://www.wexfordecho.ie/news/mhsnididkf/
    IMF complaint about council spending

A LOCAL community group has made a complaint to the IMF and the EU about “totally unacceptable levels” of county council spending on motorway projects.

The Joint Committee of Communities (JCC), which is opposed to the Oylegate to Rosslare Harbour motorway, claims that both the local authority and the National Roads’ Authority are squandering money on “yet another ghost road’ project.
    “Motorways do little for local trade and development – take, for example, the Arklow and Drogheda bypasses and the disastrous affect on local trade in those towns.
    “Half way through the meeting, when the county manager was reading his report, they stood up and held up placards. I asked them to put them down and they did but a couple of minutes later they put them back up again so I asked them to leave.

“It’s as simple as that,” he said, adding that the group had disrupted the meeting when they held up the signs.

Speaking at a recent county council meeting, county manager Eddie Breen was forthright in his defence of the Oylegate Rosslare motorway, saying it was a vital infrastructural project that was essential for the economic development of the county.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The original Drogheda "bypass" dates to the 1970s ffs; and if anything the proper motorway bypass has freed up the town to more trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

MYOB wrote: »
    The original Drogheda "bypass" dates to the 1970s ffs; and if anything the proper motorway bypass has freed up the town to more trade.

When the Arklow by-pass was built there was an initial improvement in the town and things went well. Then they built the shopping centre and this sucked all the trade away from the centre. Removing the drive-through traffic from the town was a considerable benefit as commuters and travellers had seen it only as an obstacle and rushed through (?) to get their journey over. It was a nuisance. You wouldn't go there because of the traffic problems.

It was the same in Gorey. Before the by-pass it was chaotic and traffic to Courtown and even further south turned off early and raced through country roads and villages to get to their destinations. Outlying roads were chaotic and dangerous. The bypass cured this and made visiting Gorey town more enjoyable. It definitely benefited. Trade in the town took a dip when the shopping centre was built.

I'm not familiar with Drogheda but I would have to agree with the sentiments of MYOB that by-passes benefit local areas by removing unwanted traffic from the congestion and populated areas and making the traffic free locations more attractive for visitors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The anti-bypass clowns are daft as brushes - I wonder why sensible folk here even bother reacting to their blather!

There will be no Oilgate bypass 'cos there won't be any money for the next 10 years and it won't make a PPP.

I'd have thought the "anti" brigade would have realised that by now and stopped making ever bigger eejits of themselves with bizarre claims to block something that isn't coming anymore. :cool:

But then I guess a NIMBY gobs**te will not be turned into a joined-up thinker by mere economic collapse!

• Advertisement

From The Wexford People

http://www.enniscorthyguardian.ie/news/nra-admits-motorway-plans-face-long-delay-2674604.html
    NO MONEY FOR NEW OYLEGATE-ROSSLARE ROUTE

THERE is no realistic prospect of the controversial Oylegate to Rosslare Harbour motorway being built in the foreseeable future due to a lack of funding, the National Roads Authority has admitted in a letter to Fine Gael TD Liam Twomey.
    However, the NRA is pressing ahead with the selection of a preferred route for the multimillion Euro project with a view to having it ready when finance does eventually become available.
    The news has angered the Joint Committee of Communities against the motorway, who believe the decision will result in the lives of residents, farmers and business people along the chosen route being thrown into limbo for an indefinite period of time.

Mr Egan added that the NRA will revisit the Oylegate to Rosslare road when State finances improve and will consider the possibility of ‘phased construction' in the event that the funding situation at the time does not permit the scheme to progress as a single contract.
    ‘Route selection work is well advanced at this stage and it should not take too much longer to finalise,' Mr Egan told the Fine Gael TD,
    The Joint Committee of Communities ..is now incensed by the decision to select a route and ‘freeze' it, even though the prospect of funding is remote.
    ‘ The NRA is acknowledging that there isn't money available, there will not be for the foreseeable future and in fact there may never be,' said chairman Michael Carroll.
    ‘ This is an absolutely scandalous situation which will result in people's lives being placed on hold indefinitely. It's completely unacceptable for the NRA and Wexford County Council to put people in this position,' he said.

No surprise here. The NRA is absolutely correct to proceed with the route selection, it will mean that development/one off houses won't be permitted on the selected path :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Interesting that they're considering phased construction too. You'd have to imagine this would apply to other primaries yet to be done, such as parts of the N24.

Tremelo wrote: »
    Interesting that they're considering phased construction too. You'd have to imagine this would apply to other primaries yet to be done, such as parts of the N24.

I imagine they'd look at the first part south of Enniscorthy. As it stands when when the Enniscorthy bypass is finished traffic will almost immediately go through Oylegate at the end of the by-pass (coming from Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mac.the.hat

I'm at total a loss to understand why you would like to see peoples lives destroyed. It's got very little to do with one off houses and has a lot to do with the normal development of farms and properties. For example, farmers won't be permitted to build news sheds or develop their farms for a long long time and they on't be able to sell or buy land... how is that fair? What about people who would like to buy or sell their houses and who won't be able to do that? Again, how is that fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gym_mom

I'm at total a loss to understand why you would like to see peoples lives destroyed. It's got very little to do with one off houses and has a lot to do with the normal development of farms and properties. For example, farmers won't be permitted to build news sheds or develop their farms for a long long time and they on't be able to sell or buy land... how is that fair? What about people who would like to buy or sell their houses and who won't be able to do that? Again, how is that fair?

dont waste your breath, people in concrete jungles care little for people elsewhere and think all that matters is more concrete !
    Worst case scenario this is. So put a tag on my home and leave it there for 15 years so we can neither improve it or sell it in that time. If there is no money to build the damn thing then leave the route selection until there is. Simple solution.. but what do we matter, we're just the little pawns in this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I completely understand the helplessness some people feel along the proposed route. I know someone along the corridor of the N28 for example, who would love to establish a business on her farm, but feels she can't as the land is reserved for the new road, though not yet compulsorily purchased. In fact the project is officially suspended. She is in limbo for the foreseeable future. It's an unenviable position to be in. I think there is certainly a lot to be said for the "greater good" type of argument, but that is cold comfort for those affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 HouseMartins

I've been looking at the Human Rights aspect on this!!! Not gr8 reading but the road authority or governing authority has so many years before they HAVE to implement CPO's of some description ie Enniscorthy Bypass many of the landowners/property owners have been paid out!!! When you purchase a property you take on a set of Rights, which entitles you to live a Private Life and Peaceful enjoyment of his/her possessions. If a public authority interferes with your right, they have to show that it's action has a proper basis in law and is necessary in the PUBLIC interest. The Government MUST strike a fair balance between your interests as a property owner and the general interests of SOCIETY as a whole. So all in all If they sterilise the land, they take away OUR HUMAN RIGHTS to Sell or improve our properties....... If enough Property Owners/Land Owners come forward to fight this, ECHR (European Council of Human Rights) in France should hear us!!! BUT like everything i am sure there will be a loop whole in there somewhere on the side of the Governing Bodies!!! So bloody angry!! I know we need to progress and grow and all that crap, but please sort it out!!! I'm on 1 of the routes, and i was all 4 it, but now i just want it to go away, so we can live again and not have this hanging over our heads..... we had a 5 yr plan, this year was 5 yrs..... and we're stuck!!! I'm sure someone will read this a say what a load of CRAP, but hey wldn't it be gr8 if just once things went the way of the Public and not the government!!!

On the contrary, what you have said makes a lot of sense

Can anyone tell me when the meeting is? SouthEast Radio say Mon 11th July at Ferrycarraig, The Wexford People say Monday 27th June At Ferrycarraig!!! Wexford Council and the NRA as per usual have no information at all!!!

It was originally to be June 27th but according to a press release issued by Wexford County Council on Monday, it looks like the Co. Countil meeting may be on July 11th and then presented to the general public on July 12th. The 11th ties in with the monthly meeting of the Co. Council which is held on the 2nd Monday of every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

I've been looking at the Human Rights aspect on this!!! Not gr8 reading but the road authority or governing authority has so many years before they HAVE to implement CPO's of some description ie Enniscorthy Bypass many of the landowners/property owners have been paid out!!! When you purchase a property you take on a set of Rights, which entitles you to live a Private Life and Peaceful enjoyment of his/her possessions. If a public authority interferes with your right, they have to show that it's action has a proper basis in law and is necessary in the PUBLIC interest. The Government MUST strike a fair balance between your interests as a property owner and the general interests of SOCIETY as a whole. So all in all If they sterilise the land, they take away OUR HUMAN RIGHTS to Sell or improve our properties....... If enough Property Owners/Land Owners come forward to fight this, ECHR (European Council of Human Rights) in France should hear us!!! BUT like everything i am sure there will be a loop whole in there somewhere on the side of the Governing Bodies!!! So bloody angry!! I know we need to progress and grow and all that crap, but please sort it out!!! I'm on 1 of the routes, and i was all 4 it, but now i just want it to go away, so we can live again and not have this hanging over our heads..... we had a 5 yr plan, this year was 5 yrs..... and we're stuck!!! I'm sure someone will read this a say what a load of CRAP, but hey wldn't it be gr8 if just once things went the way of the Public and not the government!!!

Aren't people on all the proposed routes in this position until a final route is selected. I understand the frustration for those on that route but surely selection is in the Public Interest?

Article in this weeks Echo too..
    http://www.enniscorthyecho.ie/news/eyaumheyau/
    “No realistic prospect” of Rosslare-Oylegate motorway

THERE IS no realistic prospect of the Oylegate to Rosslare Harbour motorway progressing to construction in the short to medium term, according to a senior National Roads Authority executive.

“We recognise that there is no realistic prospect of this scheme – and others at a similar stage of development within the national roads programme – progressing to construction in the short to medium term.

“The time scale will be dictated by the effectiveness of measures to address the debt situation and the capacity of the government to fund the roads programme in future years,” wrote Michael Egan, in a leaked email to Fine Gael TD Liam Twomey.

He said Minister Brendan Howlin’s ongoing review, of the cost-benefit analysis of capital expenditure programmes, could also have serious implications for the future of the project.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

“We recognise that there is no realistic prospect of this scheme ...” wrote Michael Egan, in a leaked email to Fine Gael TD Liam Twomey.

No doubt leaked by that self-same TD, as a way of telling his constituents not to be bothered asking him for it/objecting to it.

PoolDude wrote: »
    Aren't people on all the proposed routes in this position until a final route is selected. I understand the frustration for those on that route but surely selection is in the Public Interest?

I'm not disputing the 'Public Interest', we do need to know..... but when ANY governing body or authority mention 'Public Interest' they are referring to it as a a CONVENIENCE AND A NECESSITY to the populace!!! But if this road was a NECESSITY that would mean it was something we need NOW, not in 30 years time!!! So what i was trying to convey was i don't believe that it is in the Publics Interest, it is purely an Authority throwing its weight around!!! And putting people threw years and years on uncertainty, and placing them in LIMBO..... They can't sell or move because they won't have financial stability..... It's just so wrong how they are going about it!! They will and probably have already ruined peoples lives...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Nah. We need it now - just we can't pay for it now. Thanks to the banking debts. Last thing we need is one-off merchants building along the proposed routes.

There are already enough one-off houses in Wexford to meet the needs of the next 100 years. It's that speculation-value that Irish land had that caused the banking bust.

And doubled the cost of building roads.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The NRA should be directed to purchase the lands and lease them back to the current owners. The NPRF could have been used as the purchasing finance vehicle. Unfortunately the NPRF piggy bank was broken open to placate the ECB and now the cost of borrowing makes it impossible to economically purchase the lands and charge a fair rent to cover the borrowing cost.

18,600 acres in Pickering Ontario (prime farm country) were expropriated by the government of Canada for the construction of an airport. 40 years later with no airport there are still tenants in place but can only maintain what they have and can't build anything new:
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/ontario/pickering-site-1376.htm

Public Meeting Monday 11th July 2011 2 - 8pm and Tuesday 12th at the Ferrycarrig, will appear in local papers Thurs 14th.......

Enniscorthy Guardian had announcement yesterday!! Letters from Wexford Council letters came through yesterday!!

Public Meeting Monday 11th July 2011 2 - 8pm and Tuesday 12th at the Ferrycarrig, will appear in local papers Thurs 14th.......

Enniscorthy Guardian had announcement yesterday!! Letters from Wexford Council letters came through yesterday!!

What letters? Letters to Landowners ? Does that mean some people know the route ?

gym_mom wrote: »
    What letters? Letters to Landowners ? Does that mean some people know the route ?

Sorry!!! Didn't make it clear!!

Anyone who made a submission (questionaire from Council) last year, regarding their opinions was sent a letter about the Public Meeting!! It doesn't mean the public know yet!! Just information on the meeting!! We're on Route H, if you did submit your questionaire and haven't received anything then perhaps it means they are informing people on the route, i really don't know!!

All i know is what was in the Guardian and the letter i received saying the same!

Hmmm we're on route H too. Didn't get a letter yet anyway. Oh well, we've waited this long a few more days won't kill us.

South East Radio have just had Don Curtin on the news, saying that once the route has been displayed, they will have to WAIT for the NRA to tell them when they go on to the next phase (Design and Planning), so we could be waiting another year or 5 yrs before we here anything!!! It's a bloody joke!!!

Don't really want to palm off to someone else but i will quote a NIMBY, hope it's not route H!! We've got more chance the property market going up in 10 years than hearing about the road being built in that time!!!

LIMBO is what it will be, for which ever route is chosen!! Human Rights and Freedom out the window........ no selling , no extensions and hope!!!

But yes at least we'll know one way or the other!!! :eek:

Word has it that no new route will be chosen, they are going to upgrade the old road instead. YES !!!!

Yes oilgate being bypassed alright, the rest of the route looks more or less the same as the old one, I have the maps here. Dont know what the extent of the upgrading will be apart from changes at Rosslare Harbour and Oylegate.:p Happy....

• Advertisement

Do you have soft copy? Or can you scan and post?

Advertisement