Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox modding questions

• 22-04-2004 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I'd like to mod my Xbox to do the following (at least):
    • Play audio and video files
    • emulation

I'd also like it to run Linux, but I could live without it.

I'd prefer to get an non-soldering mod-chip that I can switch on/off. So here are the actual questions....
    How difficult is it to mod the Xbox?
    Would I be better to get a cheap 2nd hand Xbox and work from that?
    How difficult is it to put a larger hard drive in?

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

It's awkward enough - if you're not comofortable with soldering don't do it.
    I don't know much about solder free mod chiips.

I use an executer lite mod chip and find it great.

Get them here :

http://www.kanection.co.uk/

They also have excellent forums, so I'm sure you get your answers there !

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Its all pretty easy just do some research n the net beforehand there are planty of faqs available for all the above subjectsif you need any help on any point just ask there are a few ppl on this site who know about this that would be glad to help just get a solder modchip cause the nosolder one are a pain in the arse to align plus they can come loose
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

the executer 2.3b lite plus chip is soooo easy to put in, and its not gonna get loose unless u didnt tighten it enough or your throwing your xbox around the room( well thats what i find after buying the chip over a month ago). My friends got them too and they put them in, in no time, they spent more time putting the case back on than fitting the chip. Try www.thechipshop.org.uk , i got my chip off that for 27.50 sterling and a few quid delivery, only took about 3 days to get it. A lot of sites are selling the same chip for 34.50. I didnt get a solder chip for 2 reasons, 1) i cant solder. 2) i wasnt gonna paying someone else money for something that they themselves could do in a second.

edit: its 34.99 sterling on the kanection site that was mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by kaisersose77
    the executer 2.3b lite plus chip is soooo easy to put in, and its not gonna get loose unless u didnt tighten it enough or your throwing your xbox around the room( well thats what i find after buying the chip over a month ago). My friends got them too and they put them in, in no time, they spent more time putting the case back on than fitting the chip. Try www.thechipshop.org.uk , i got my chip off that for 27.50 sterling and a few quid delivery, only took about 3 days to get it. A lot of sites are selling the same chip for 34.50. I didnt get a solder chip for 2 reasons, 1) i cant solder. 2) i wasnt gonna paying someone else money for something that they themselves could do in a second.

edit: its 34.99 sterling on the kanection site that was mentioned

The 2.3 B lite seems to be £20 on that site...but the description says:

Special Tool Design - Just 9 wires/pins to solder

By 'pins' does that mean a non-solder version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

havent a clue. probably involves soldering something. if u can solder buy it, if not then get the plus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

the x2 lites can be installed usinig a pin header or a cable/wires that one is purely a solder chip - the lite plus is non solder. I'm not a fan of the non solder ones. nothing beats a good solder install. but most people find it handy enough to do the pogo pin/nonsolder thing themselves and it seams to work well for them

the best place for xbox info is www.xbox-scene.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

you can also use the audio and font exploits if you don't want to mess with the xbox's internals. www.xbox-scene.com as mentioned is a very handy site for this kind of stuff. with the audio exploit you enter a simple key combination when you turn on the xbox and it boots to the dashboard of your choice (evox etc.) From there the xbox acts just like a modded xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Kid Icarus

Thanks for all the help and links. So I've decided - I'm going to mod my Xbox during the summer (after college exams). This is what I understand so far....

The Modchip
    I've decided to get a solder chip, mainly so it won't fall around inside my Xbox. The executor chips seem the most popular choice, so I'll get one of those. Probably one that I can (re-)flash from my laptop and disable (external switch). Should I get a 2.x generation chip or one of the newer 3rd generation chips? Also, why do I need to flash my chip? Does it not already come pre-flashed? Where can I get the BIOS to flash it with?

Replacing the Dashboard
    Probably use EvoX (if I can find the damn thing to download). Basically I burn the CD-RW (with a dummy file) and boot my Xbox with the CD in the drive. Once EvoX loads, I can ftp to my Xbox and transfer the files I need to it.
    In some of the guides I've read, they'v said about renaming "default.xbe" on my Xbox C: drive to "MSdash.xbe" (or something similar). Then copying he EvoX dashboard to the Xbox and renaming it "default.xbe". I'm a little confused here. When I disable the chip, won't the default BIOS just load the EvoX dash? Isn't it possible to select which dash to load with the modchip?

Bigger Hard Drive
    Once I find a compatable hard drive and I put it into my Xbox, what do I do then? I assume I need to format/partition the hard drive so that the Xbox can use it. The idea I'm getting is to use the EvoX disc I created previously and this somehow prepares my hard drive for me. Is this right? Once I have replaced the hard drive, is it just a case of ftp'ing all my files (which I've backed up on my computer of course) back to the C: and E: drives of my Xbox?

Again, any help/comments would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

Originally posted by Kid Icarus
    Thanks for all the help and links. So I've decided - I'm going to mod my Xbox during the summer (after college exams). This is what I understand so far....

If your around Limerick ill chip it for u for free. I've chipped a friends xbox with the xecuter lite 2.2 (i think that was it) and 2.3 lite.

Unfortunately not - in Dublin. Thanks for the offer though! It seems a straight forward enough process anyway, just a little "small". Just one more quick question: will I need to remove my motherboard to do it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

will I need to remove my motherboard to do it?
    No ;)

Unfortunately not - in Dublin. Thanks for the offer though! It seems a straight forward enough process anyway, just a little "small". Just one more quick question: will I need to remove my motherboard to do it?

Well it depends on how u install it. If u simply use wires then no. If u use the pin-heads (which is a cleaner installation IMO) then yes. But it's not that much bother to take it out really, infact it could be said that it's easier to install the chip with both methods when the motherboard is removed as u have more leeway with the soldering iron.

if you're soldering - remove the board and use the alternate d0 which is on the back - there's links to the pic on xbox-scene it's alot handier to solder and makes a better contact

I'll probably do a pinhead solder. I still have some questions left though (copied and pasted from a previous post):

In some of the guides I've read, they'v said about renaming "default.xbe" on my Xbox C: drive to "MSdash.xbe" (or something similar). Then copying he EvoX dashboard to the Xbox and renaming it "default.xbe". I'm a little confused here. When I disable the chip, won't the default BIOS just load the EvoX dash? Isn't it possible to select which dash to load with the modchip?

Once I find a compatable hard drive and I put it into my Xbox, what do I do then? I assume I need to format/partition the hard drive so that the Xbox can use it. The idea I'm getting is to use the EvoX disc I created previously and this somehow prepares my hard drive for me. Is this right? Once I have replaced the hard drive, is it just a case of ftp'ing all my files (which I've backed up on my computer of course) back to the C: and E: drives of my Xbox?

What the modchip essentially does is boot the Xbox with a hacked BIOS. Depending on what Bios u choose (Xecuter or M7) or the way u configure it there is a boot sequence. I can't remember what the default is, evoxdash.xbe is usually no. one, then maybe xboxdash.xbe. On the xecuter bios there is about four possible options and it boots the Dashboard it finds on the hd first.

EDIT: what i do is have two bioses installed on my chip, one in each bank. So by flicking the modchip switch from bank a to b i can select which dashboard i want to boot. Because i don't interfere with the original dash, this get loaded when i disable the modchip.

You'll have to create a "New HD Evox" Cd. You can find out how to get one from www.xbox-scene.com,. U then simply install the hd and boot the xbox from this cd and it should do all the work for u. When creating this cd though you'll need some of the files that are on the original hd, so u can't install the chip and the hd all in one go. Once this is done, your ready to go. Evox should boot directly from the hd when u turn the xbox on. Hope this helps

qBot

Because i don't interfere with the original dash, this get loaded when i disable the modchip.
    Things are starting to make sense to me a little more now. So what you have done is set up your mod chip to look for a dashboard that is not "default.xbe". When the chip is on, it'll load up your other dash. When it's off, it'll load up the default one. Is that right? How can you do that?

(And thanks for all the help!)

EDIT: Yeah it sank in. So I'll need to get a chip that'll allow multiple BIOS's so I could possibly load whichever dash I feel like (as you do with yours). Time for more research on xbox-scene! It'll probably be an Xecutor 2.3 Pro, simply so I can flash the BIOS from my laptop. Once I get that going, I'll start to worry about hard drives/EvoX.

Everything seems pretty straight forward, but I was a little daunted by taking apart my EUR200 Xbox. But, **** it, I can always get a new one!

you can do it with a chip that just has one bios - any of the newer bioses will auto look for evoxdash.xbe - so if you dump that into your c drive it'll be found and you can launch it from there or you could just overwrite that file with whatever other dash you want to load instead - provided it's named evoxdash.xbe it'll run. the old renaming of xboxdash.xbe was from back in the day before the bioses could load multiple xbe files.

get slayers auto install disc - it's a one stop shop for what you're looking for or firefu*kers is another both gotten via xbox-scene

Nige

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I'd like to mod my Xbox to do the following (at least):
    • Play audio and video files
    • emulation
    • play backed up games from the HD

I'd also like it to run Linux, but I could live without it.

I'd prefer to get an non-soldering mod-chip that I can switch on/off. So here are the actual questions....
    How difficult is it to mod the Xbox?
    Would I be better to get a cheap 2nd hand Xbox and work from that?
    How difficult is it to put a larger hard drive in?

Any other comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

its easy as pie.

get an executor 2.3blite+ (i think, its a while since i go mine)
    theyre about 40 quid

buy a larger hard drive. i have a 126gb, but now tehre is support for over the 130gb limit, so go as high as your cash will spend.

get a copy of what ever bios you want. cant remember what i used. 4376 sound familiar?

get a copy of slayers mod dashboard. cnt rememebr exact name off hand, but do a search. you should be able to find an irc room and download from there.

once you install the mod chip (takles about 15 minutes, no wires, external on\off switch) upgrade the bios by booting with cd-rw with bios on it.

replace the hard drive

once that is done, reboot with slayers disk in, and it will give you the options you need, like install a new dashboard on a disk larger than 130gb with a mod chip that has on/ff capability.

this will install orginal xbox settings so you can play live and use orginal disks, and then when you have your chip on, it will boot into the new dash and allow you to install or ftp or do whatever you like.

basically, i go to blockbuster, install the game on to hard drive (takes about 15 minutes, and slayers dash has built in copy apps) and bring game back and finish game in your own time. if you like the game, you will then buy it no doubt, as you are an honest person, arent you?
    but of course, it should really only be used to back up games you have already purchased.

thats pretty much it. its really really simple. the last one i did took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.

with regards the linux bit, dont be so fúcking gay! its a games consol, you can network it, you can use it as a file server if you want. christ, use it as a bloody mp3 server is you want, but come on, linux?

i suppose some people have just go tto take it one step too far :)

Things are starting to make sense to me a little more now. So what you have done is set up your mod chip to look for a dashboard that is not "default.xbe". When the chip is on, it'll load up your other dash. When it's off, it'll load up the default one. Is that right? How can you do that?

(And thanks for all the help!)

EDIT: Yeah it sank in. So I'll need to get a chip that'll allow multiple BIOS's so I could possibly load whichever dash I feel like (as you do with yours). Time for more research on xbox-scene! It'll probably be an Xecutor 2.3 Pro, simply so I can flash the BIOS from my laptop. Once I get that going, I'll start to worry about hard drives/EvoX.

Don't really need the pro. When u get the chip first it's loaded with the cromwell bios. This is a bios that's only suitable for booting linux. If you create a cd with the bios u want installed on it named BIOS.bin and boot the xbox with it in, the cromwell bios will automatically flash this bios to the chip. After that u can simply use EvoX to flash whatever combo of bioses u want. btw the lite version supports 2 banks, the pro supports 4. Also, u can load whatever dashboard u want from EvoX once u boot into it.

To mess around with the boot sequence and other features of the Executer bios use "XBtool". But u don't have to do this. The default sequence already picks up

- 1. avalaunch.xbe
    - 2. evoxdash.xbe
    - 3. mxmdash.xbe
    - 4. nexgen.xbe
    - 5. xboxdash.xbe

in that order.

If u got any more questions, just shoot. I spent ages researching this on xbox-scene , i may aswell pass the info along :) cept i don't know anything about running linux on the xbox. didn't try that one.

SlaYer's EvoX Auto-Installer v2.5 released !

Grab it from our download section.

Whats news :

* Includes latest versions of all Xbox homebrew tools and bioses (as of release date)
    * Support for ]137GB HD's and the G: Drive
    * XBOX v1.0 - V1.5 Support (possible future versions too)
    * Ability to install EvoX & Apps in F: for Stealth Mode
    * Ability to restore the retail Xbox HD to retail mode
    * Ability to Format the F: or G: partitions independently
    * Latest Stable Media Player XBMP Custom Configured with ShoutCast Radio
    * Customized X2 4977 *FC* Bios that boot "evoXdash.xbe" 1st from F: then from C: with
    failover to "default.xbe" on DVD
    * Further customized X2 4977 *FC* +137GB Bios that adds support for ]137GB HD's
    * Ability to flash virtually ANY v1.0-v1.5 XBOX TSOP and MOD chip with 1MB or 256K
    * Ability to flash an X2, Chameleon, Akira or any other 1MB Cromwell based MOD chip
    with X2 4977 *FC* +137G just by inserting this v2.5 installer disk.
    * Ability to restore the "exploitable" M$ dash if replaced by Xbox Live
    * Listened to everyone's concearns for size and kept the installer small, around the 105MB mark.
    * Docs are now released as locked & encrypted PDF's to prevent fake releases

Software Included (along with the unchanged tools from v2.1):

* EvoX Dash v1.8.3921
    * XBMP v2.4 CVS 09-24-03 (the 2.4 CVS 10-13-03 release was full of bugs so I ignored it)
    * HDDLoader v1.2a
    * dvd2xbox v0.4.9
    * boXplorer 0.96 G: Patched
    * BiosChecker v3.1
    * xbftp v0.61
    * XCommander R2 G: Patched
    * Avalaunch 0.48 (can auto-download the Qwix PC ISO Manager)
    * Xboxdash dvd region free patch disc v1.03

Source : xbins.org

here are the new Installer Menu options:

1) RESET / REBOOT
    2) Save BIOS / EEPROM (XBOX C:backup)
    3) REBUILD NEW LARGE HD on V1.X SYSTEM
    ........3-1) Rebuild v1.X Large HD – *C* 4920
    ........3-2) Rebuild v1.X Large HD – *F* 4920
    4) REBUILD RETAIL HD on V1.X SYSTEM
    ........4-1) Rebuild v1.X Retail HD – 4920
    5) UPGRADE XBMP, M$ Dash, APPS & EVOX 1.8.3921
    ........5-1) Inst/Upg XBMP, Apps, EvoX - LARGE HD (F:)
    ........5-2) Inst/Upg XBMP, Apps, EvoX - Retail HD (C:)
    ........5-3) Inst/Upg just EvoX - LARGE HD (F:)
    ........5-4) Inst/Upg just EvoX - Retail HD (C:)
    ........5-5) Inst/Upg just XBMP & Apps - LARGE HD (F:)
    ........5-6) Inst/Upg just XBMP & Apps - Retail HD (C:)
    ........5-7) Inst/Upg just XBMP - LARGE HD (F:)
    ........5-8) Inst/Upg just XBMP - Retail HD (C:)
    ........5-9) Inst/Restore M$ Dash 1012a700 - Any HD
    6) FORMAT OPTIONS FOR ANY XBOX V1.X HD
    ........6-1) Full Clean Format of RETAIL HD
    ........6-2) Full Clean Format of LARGE HD
    ........6-3) RESTORE RETAIL XBOX HD TO FACTORY
    ........6-4) Format only C: Partition
    ........6-5) Format only E: Partition
    ........6-6) Format only F: Partition
    ........6-7) Format only G: Partition
    7) FLASH XBOX v1.0-1.5 ON-BOARD TSOP OR MOD CHIP
    ........7-1) Flash 1MB MOD or v1.0-1.1 TSOP w/ EvoX-M7 EjectFix
    ........7-2) Flash 256K MOD or v1.2-1.5 TSOP w/ EvoX-M7 EjectFix
    ........7-3) Flash 1MB MOD or v1.0-1.1 TSOP w/ X2-4977
    ........7-4) Flash 256K MOD or v1.2-1.5 TSOP w/ X2-4977
    ........7-5) Flash 1MB MOD or v1.0-1.1 TSOP w/ X2-4977 *FC*
    ........7-6) Flash 256K MOD or v1.2-1.5 TSOP w/ X2-4977 *FC*
    ........7-7) Flash 1MB MOD or v1.0-1.1 TSOP w/ X2-4977 +137 G:
    ........7-8) Flash 256K MOD or v1.2-1.5 TSOP w/ X2-4977 +137 G:
    ........7-9) Flash 1MB MOD or v1.0-1.1 TSOP w/ X2-4978.03
    ........7-10) Flash 1MB MOD or v1.0-1.1 TSOP w/ EvoX M7+137 G:
    ........7-11) Flash 256K MOD or v1.2-1.5 TSOP w/ EvoX M7+137 G:
    8) EEPROM MANAGEMENT
    ........8-1) Lock Hard Drive
    ........8-2) UNLock Hard Drive
    ........8-3) ConfigMagic FINAL (V1.X EEProm Editing)
    9) NTSC [-] PAL VIDEO MODE SWITCHER
    ........9-1) USA – NTSC
    ........9-2) JAP - NTSC
    ........9-3) EUR - PAL
    ........9-4) NTSC [-] PAL VIDEO MODE SWITCHER
    10) Identify Your BIOS/Mod Chip
    11) System Settings
    12) Install GentooX Linux v2 Home in F:
    13) DVD Region Free Patch for M$ Dash
    14) Power Off Xbox

Use the following information to come and join us on IRC:

* IRC Software: Get your free MIRC Client from here! http://www.mirc.co.uk/get.html

* IRC Server = snoop.burghcom.com ( IRC Server Join Command = /server
    snoop.burghcom.com )

* IRC Channel = #SlaYerS ( IRC Channel Join Command = /join #SlaYerS )

The channel BOT, called "Bitch" will automatically send you what you need if you issue these simple commands:
    !help - tells you how to configure mIRC to allow you to get files from this channel! - DO this FIRST!!!!
    !nfo - sends you both NFO files (open with WordPad to read properly!)
    !installer - sends you the installer in one 108MB file
    !ip - info on fixing IP problems
    !modchip - modchip info
    !xbmp - bonus! get the latest Xbox Media Player

(I have confirmed availability of the installer both in the IRC channel and in the NewsGroups, Enjoy!)

***************** IRC Channel Info ******************

This release will again be a SINGLE solid Self Extracting Archive with included authenticity verification. No need to have the latest WinRAR :-)

Distribution filename is:

SlaYers_EvoX_Auto-Installer_v2.5FINAL.exe ..... 108MB (approx) [Self Extracting!]

On a.b.c.i.x Newsgroups, it will go up in YENC format so make sure your newsreader supports YENC!

Make sure to have the Adobe 6 PDF Reader found HERE and read both of the included README and INSTRUCTIONS documents BEFORE using the Installer!

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF ANYONE MESSES UP THEIR XBOX, SO DO NOT USE THIS TOOL IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT IT DOES!

taken from http://www.xboxstation.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=82

• Advertisement

One thing I left out was that you'll need an EvoX boot disk so u can ftp into your original hd and back up the contents (keys and stuff). You also need to get the xboxdash files off it so u can put them onto the "new hd evox" cd when ur installing the new hard drive.

Originally posted by qBot
    One thing I left out was that you'll need an EvoX boot disk so u can ftp into your original hd and back up the contents (keys and stuff). You also need to get the xboxdash files off it so u can put them onto the "new hd evox" cd when ur installing the new hard drive.

not if he uses slayers as suggested - it has all the files needed for a completely blank unformatted disc and/or to extract the keys lock/unlock the original harddisk

Originally posted by elmer
    not if he uses slayers as suggested - it has all the files needed for a completely blank unformatted disc and/or to extract the keys lock/unlock the original harddisk

didn't know that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Whoa, wait a second, all this talk of multiple bioses and stuff is way too complicated, here's a step by step guide:

1.Firstly, to get all the files you need check out this tutorial: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php

2. Get an Xecutor 2.2/2.3 LITE and install it using header pins, you can get a tutorial at http://www.xbox-scene.com/modchips/x-ecuter2_headerpin_diagrams.html and I recommend getting someone else to do it if you've never soldered before.

3.Once the chip is installed boot up your Xbox and "Flashbios" should boot, this bios let's you flash your bios from a CDRW(Xbox can't read CDR) so burn a bios disc and put it in. Tutorial here: http://www.teamxecuter.com/cromwell.htm

4.Now you'll want to swap your dashboard to Evox and set up FTP with your computer so follow this tutorial: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/evox-install.php

5.Now your Xbox should boot Evox and you should be able to FTP games and emulators to the 'games' and 'apps' folder on your E: partition and once you put Xbox Media Player on your Xbox you can FTP you music and Videos to the Playlists folder......but you won't have very much space to do so.

6.So buy a new HDD as big as you like and follow this tutorial to install it: http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/hdd-install2.php

7. I have no need to use the disable switch but if you feel you need it you'll have to lock your new HD with a program called ConfigMagic.

8.Enjoy your new modded Xbox! If you want to copy many games to the HD I recommend boXplorer, you can rip games straight to the HD in less than 10 mins(no slow FTPing) .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Right as this is one of those threads that keeps cropping up and given that it's one of the one more informative ones I've cleaned it up a little (keep the personal insults out of games folks) and stuckified it.

one more thing to add - there are various other chips similar to xecutors - there's a rundown of the chips here:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/modchips3b_table.htm

and newer chips with more features you'll probably not use:

http://www.xbox-scene.com/modchips4_table.htm

solder installs are always better but pogo pins will probably do the trick if you're not moving it around much

Nige

Here's a few questions and answers I got from PM's. Question in italics, answer directly below the question....

Is it really worthwhile getting an X2 Pro chip over the Lite(+)? Basically, my CD-RW is very unreliable (I'll be lucky to get Evo-X burned properly on it) so flashing using the LPT seemed like a good way around that problem for me.

If you're just concerned about flashing your chip, then all you need to do is write a cd with a single BIOS.bin file on it. When you turn on your xbox with the chip freshly installed the tray opens and when you insert this cd it will flash the chip. 1mb of data shouldn't be too difficult to ask from your cd writer, just make sure you use Nero to verify if was burnt correctly first. You don't want a dud chip on your hands. However if your still concerned then maybe the pro is your best bet. But remember you're still going to have to burn a Slayer EvoX install cd to setup the hard drive.

Just one more thing. When u get the bios it's usually only 256kb big. You need to have a 1024mb file to flash to the chip. You can do this from the command prompt by

copy /b bios1.bin + bios1.bin + bios2.bin + bios2.bin BIOS.bin

This when flashed to the chip, will load bios 1 when bank 1 is used and bios2 when bank 2 is used.

I've gotten a few BIOS's already, a couple of diferent versions of the X2 and Evo-X M7 (or something similar). What's the deal with all the diferent BIOS's? How do I know which one I should get/use?

Well the only two bioses i know about are the M7 and the Xecuter bios. There may be a number of xecuter bioses, but the best thing to do there, is chooose the latest. I don't use the M7, just the Xecuter. There much of a muchness as far as i'm concerned. The latest xectuer bios though would be new than the M7. You best bet would be to go with the xecuter 4983 which is the latest. Actually i just remembered. There is a xxxx.06 and xxxx.67. To cut to the chase, if your installing a new hd just stick with the .06 version. The .06 allows you to have an f partition that uses the remainder of the hd. the .67 is for a hd that's bigger tha 127 and has a g partition. I know i didn't explain that very well, but if your installing a new hd then just go with the .67 version no matter what size it is.

I've read some pages about some chips coming pre-flashed with Cromwell. What does this do for me and do I actually need it?

Ya, the Xecuter and probably most chips come installed with this. It's a bios only suitable for booting a linux distribution. It's actually a mini version of linux which is copyright free and therefore legal to have preflashed on the chip. It's this bios that flashes the chip when you insert the cd I told you about above.

I downloaded XBtool and and a couple of Bios's; Evolution M7 and a couple of different versions of the Xecuter2 BIOS (most recent version was 4983, I think). When I open the M7 BIOS, I can play around with it and configure the boot order, logo colour, that sort of thing. But I can't do any of this with any of the Xecuter BIOS's. Is that just me or is it a definite no-no for all Xecuter BIOS's?

The reason you can't configure the 4983 bios is because XBtool hasn't been updated to use it. If you go back one or two versions of the bios, you should have no problem. There may even be another tool that can do the job. I've been waiting for the update myself. What I recomend though is just install the 4983 initially unmodified. Just get everything set up the usual way first with just one bios version. Once you have it set up properly you can configure around with it and maybe revert to an older bios. Just remember the m7 is quite old, even as old as the 4981 (I use this one) and older again so your always better off using an xecuter bios.

I'll worry about the hard drive once I actually get a mod-chip. It seems much straight forward than putting in an actual modchip though. I think I'm pretty clear on the banks and flashing (all the banks must be flashed in one go, so I need to create a 1MB file).

Definitely, its simple.

Yup, with the lite it reads the first 256k of the bank selected so anything after that is just ignored. Of course with the pro, you have four banks so there is only 256k in each bank.

solder installs are always better but pogo pins will probably do the trick if you're not moving it around much

Nige

not being argumentative here, but why do you say that?

personally, i much prefer the idea of not taking hot metal to the mainboard of my xbox! pogo pins are just place, screw down, wiggle until connected.

besides, i wouldnt want to solder pints to the wrong connections, know what i mean :)

pogo pins, and slayers.
    get your xbox up and running in half an hour.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    not being argumentative here, but why do you say that?

personally, i much prefer the idea of not taking hot metal to the mainboard of my xbox! pogo pins are just place, screw down, wiggle until connected.

besides, i wouldnt want to solder pints to the wrong connections, know what i mean :)

pogo pins, and slayers.
    get your xbox up and running in half an hour.

soldering is much more secure than pogo pins - a nice pin header negates soldering the wrong points and allows for easy removal(of the chip).

It's the wiggle bit you mention about pogos i don't like. it can be hit and miss and if you are transporting the xbox a good bit then it's much more likely for the pogo pins to become dislodged than a soldered pin header

but like i said they'll probably do the trick for most people. especially if you're afraid of killing the board. but if you buy a seperate pogopin adapter it'll cost you an extra 25 to 30 quid - you might aswell just get someone to do an install for you at that cost.

a solder install will take about the same amount of time - or you could just do a tsop flash instead of bothering with chips at all and be even faster

• Advertisement

or you could just do a tsop flash instead of bothering with chips at all and be even faster

that's one thing i never looked at. how would u go about doing that. do u need any special equipment?

EDIT: Actually more to the point. what is it exactly. I presume it's where u actually flash the onboard bios of the XBox?

EDIT Again: just looked it up on www.xbox-scene.com. so i got the answers i needed. Tell me though, is it hard to do?

Advertisement