Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-10-2003, 14:47   #1
ToxicPaddy
Baaanaaaanaaaaa

POP3 Server for Oceanfree.net

Dunno if this is the right place to ask.. so mods feel free to move to wherever you think is more appropriate..

Tox

Anyone know what the POP3 mail server is for Oceanfree?

Is it the same as the IOL one or is it a seperate one?

Cheers,

Tox
Advertisement
31-10-2003, 18:39   #2
The Muppet

Send a message via MSN to The Muppet
Pop= mail.oceanfree.net

smtp= smtp.oceanfree.net
04-11-2003, 15:19   #3
ToxicPaddy
Baaanaaaanaaaaa

still not working.. but cheers for the info..

Think there might be a few problems with it as Im trying to
connect out over the LAN and then to the oceanfree pop mail
servers..

Never done anything like this before so no idea if it was gonna
work or not. Only did it to save me going onto the web to check
my mail accounts.

Tox..
04-11-2003, 15:24   #4
davil

Which mail client you using and what errors????? I should be able to help.
04-11-2003, 15:32   #5
ToxicPaddy
Baaanaaaanaaaaa

using outlook express..

The host 'mail.oceanfree.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account:
'XXXX (Oceanfree)', Server: 'pop.oceanfree.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

it looks like the naming of the server might be wrong..

Im not that worried about it, it was just to save some time thats all..

Tox
Advertisement
05-11-2003, 08:50   #6
davil

Yep naming of the server is wrong - it should be mail.oceanfree.net for incoming mail. [your error message says "Server: 'pop.oceanfree.net'"] - Click on tools/accounts/then click on your oceanfree account/click on servers and then change incoming mail to mail.oceanfree.net. I think what you did was just change the name your account goes by for reference in OE. YOu should be fine after that. If not I have a bit more info for ya.
05-11-2003, 18:16   #7
ToxicPaddy
Baaanaaaanaaaaa

Tried that before I put in the pop.oceanfree.net but it didnt make any difference.. still the same problem..

The host 'mail.oceanfree.net' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'XXXXX ', Server: 'mail.oceanfree.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Thanks anyway,

Tox
06-11-2003, 08:25   #8
davil

Have you got Norton Antivirus? It's usually the cause of this problem and I've seen it happen millions of times, (I was in BTopenworld tech support) if so skip to part 2 - there's a couple of other things it could be though. First of all can you view webpages?? if you can't then skip to part 3.

1. Now the next thing is the connection you're using in OE - go into the account properties and click on the connection tab. Is there a tick in "always connect to this account using"? If there is, boot it out unless you're completelysure the Dial Up connection it's using is perfect. Also, on the servers tab, untick "my server requires authentication" if it's ticked. Try that and see if it works

2. If you do have Norton Antivirus you may need to uninstall, test Outlook Express and then reinstall if it's working.
Also Configure your firewall software (if any) to grant access to the Internet for the Msimn.exe file

"A. Can you get webpages? If so you may have the wrong mailserver typed in your account or the server may be down.

B. If you cannot get webpages hangup and try connecting again.

C. Reboot your computer and try again.

D. Still not working? Still not getting webpages? If so, treat as a normal "Not Moving Data" issue. (Check your DNS numbers, rip and reinstall TCP/IP, etc..)"
24-08-2009, 14:02   #9
dobh

oceanfree

i have been reading the posts about oceanfree. mine has been overtaken by spam. pages and pages per day. i have now moved to gmail. relief. however i would like to remove oceanfree totally from my computer. i dont know how to do it and would appreciate advice in very basic computer speak if possible.

thank you.

Last edited by dobh; 24-08-2009 at 14:03. Reason: typo
Advertisement
25-08-2009, 10:44   #10
irishgeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobh View Post
i have been reading the posts about oceanfree. mine has been overtaken by spam. pages and pages per day. i have now moved to gmail. relief. however i would like to remove oceanfree totally from my computer. i dont know how to do it and would appreciate advice in very basic computer speak if possible.

thank you.
mine was been spammed to hell lately as well. its a tedious process of mving all my online shopping accounts over to my new email.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion