Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airport alert as lethal coronavirus on our doorstep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭circadian

Peatys wrote: »
    I've man flu since yesterday.. you telling me this is the end?!

May as well go on the lash and spend all your savings on coke and hookers, the end is in sight I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Someone has eaten an infected bat or a koala in China and the repercussions are being felt across the world.

Actually snakes I believe.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/22/health/snakes-wuhan-coronavirus-outbreak-conversation-partner/index.html

They're getting their revenge on St Patrick with biological warfare.
    Very cold blooded those snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

finally something which will hopefully bring stock prices back a little

We need a poll.

Flat 7up or hot red lemonade?

One of those will sort this Corona out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

We need a poll.

Flat 7up or hot red lemonade?

One of those will sort this Corona out.

A hot cup of scald will cure what ails ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s a symptom of developing countries that animal borne diseases get into the human population. TB here was massive until relatively recently so we shouldn’t look down on anyone because we’re moved beyond that stage in social development and lesser countries have not.

So in third world countries it’s always going to be the case that these diseases have more opportunities to jump host into an immune compromised human.

SARS was poorly handled from the start and was way out of control before help was saught, ironically post sars China is a cleaner place to visit.

The Chinese government may have been a little slow off the start here but measures are in place and one would expect this will be contained and eradicated relatively quickly.

Someone mentioned eating koala, really a virus like this is more likely to pass from live host to live host rather than food based. Living and working closely with contaminated animals while weak and sick is very likely route.

Yes the Chinese eat a whole host of animals we don’t but that’s nothing unusual at all, we eat lots of beef which is sacred in maybe Hinduism or some other religion and I’m sure they think we’re monsters. I had an interesting conversation with a Chinese chap about this on my last visit, he said westerners see an animal and think how cute it is, he said most Chinese people look at the same animal and wonder “how will I cook that” :) , it’s just cultural difference. Actually I’d say we are the anomaly as we eat such a narrow range of animals, even in our neighboring France they eat a much wider range of meats than we do, horse, frogs, snails, wild boar, goat etc.

This is a big deal if your in China at the moment, here in Ireland it’s a news item and no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s a symptom of developing countries that animal borne diseases get into the human population. TB here was massive until relatively recently so we shouldn’t look down on anyone because we’re moved beyond that stage in social development and lesser countries have not.

So in third world countries it’s always going to be the case that these diseases have more opportunities to jump host into an immune compromised human.

SARS was poorly handled from the start and was way out of control before help was saught, ironically post sars China is a cleaner place to visit.

The Chinese government may have been a little slow off the start here but measures are in place and one would expect this will be contained and eradicated relatively quickly.

Someone mentioned eating koala, really a virus like this is more likely to pass from live host to live host rather than food based. Living and working closely with contaminated animals while weak and sick is very likely route.

Yes the Chinese eat a whole host of animals we don’t but that’s nothing unusual at all, we eat lots of beef which is sacred in maybe Hinduism or some other religion and I’m sure they think we’re monsters. I had an interesting conversation with a Chinese chap about this on my last visit, he said westerners see an animal and think how cute it is, he said most Chinese people look at the same animal and wonder “how will I cook that” :) , it’s just cultural difference. Actually I’d say we are the anomaly as we eat such a narrow range of animals, even in our neighboring France they eat a much wider range of meats than we do, horse, frogs, snails, wild boar, goat etc.

This is a big deal if your in China at the moment, here in Ireland it’s a news item and no more.

I dont believe it will be eradicated, It will become the norm.

Swine Flu is still around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭purple hands

Do I eat my iodine tablets now or later?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Tuff Gong

I'll be catching Corona tonight....

A heap of them, with a wedge of lime!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Yep. Ebola still going strong in Africa... where's the headlines?

Well there aren't hundreds of thousands of Congolese tourists or students milling around around European streets or universities at any given time.

An outbreak of a virus such as this in China has a far greater chance of going global in a relatively short period of time.

SARS in Hong Kong was no joke

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    Well there aren't hundreds of thousands of Congolese tourists or students milling around around European streets or universities at any given time.

An outbreak of a virus such as this in China has a far greater chance of going global in a relatively short period of time.

SARS in Hong Kong was no joke

Swine Flu went Global and still exists today. The media ran out of steam on that one when people figured out that its not much different then Influenza

I suspect this is going to be the same outcome.

Swine Flu went Global and still exists today. The media ran out of steam on that one when people figured out that its not much different then Influenza

I suspect this is going to be the same outcome.

Swine flu vaccine is now in the yearly flu jab, that's why it's not a huge danger anymore. When it was pandemic it killed somewhere between 150'000 - 570'000 people worldwide (not my figures). 13'000 in the US. If you want to call that a tabloid sensationalist driven story you're welcome to. I'm just glad you're not in charge of public safety.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/pandemic-global-estimates.htm

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Just waiting for this new virus to be blamed on climate change, can’t be long now.

Well how else would you explain it?

Yurt! wrote: »
    Swine flu vaccine is now in the yearly flu jab, that's why it's not a huge danger anymore. When it was pandemic it killed somewhere between 150'000 - 570'000 people worldwide (not my figures). 13'000 in the US. If you want to call that a tabloid sensationalist driven story you're welcome to. I'm just glad you're not in charge of public safety.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/spotlights/pandemic-global-estimates.htm

The Flu Jab lol

Influenza (Seasonal)
    Illnesses range from mild to severe and even death. Hospitalization and death occur mainly among high risk groups. Worldwide, these annual epidemics are estimated to result in about 3 to 5 million cases of severe illness, and about 290 000 to 650 000 respiratory deaths.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/influenza-(seasonal)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭xabi

Told my Doc that I cant stop drinking, he thinks its the Corona Virus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Member the foot and mouth outbreak a good few years ago? You had to step in disinfectant when entering public buildings etc., where asked if you'd been near farm land when coming back from abroad?
    The Garda HQ in the Phoenix park had a fella spraying water for a time, because they'd ran out of disinfectant but wanted to look like they were following procedure.
    So I reckon we'll be alright ;)

H1N1 was the first global pandemic novel-flu for 40 years. But hey, you're the expert.

Flu jab, flu shot, call it what you want. The H1N1 vaccine is included in the innoculation for at-risk age groups now. I suppose the development of that vaccine was a big mad tabloid-driven panic and serves no public-health function or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Madge2007

The flu jab 2019/2020 protects again 4 different strains of flu that the WHO thinks are most likely to cause problems this flu season. HSE website gives info on that. Guessing this new one wouldn't be covered as it's a new strain??

Madge2007 wrote: »
    The flu jab 2019/2020 protects again 4 different strains of flu that the WHO thinks are most likely to cause problems this flu season. HSE website gives info on that. Guessing this new one wouldn't be covered as it's a new strain??

It would take several months to develop a vaccine for a novel-strain such as this. Another complicating factor, I heard this from someone in the know on such matters, is that China stopped sharing disease samples with US health authorities and labs as a sideshow bunfight to the trade war over the past year or so.

This is a joke

Irish Independent Headline
    Airport alert as lethal coronavirus on our doorstep, Belfast patient in isolation

Belfast Telegraph Headline
    Doctors '99% certain' Belfast patient does not have deadly coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

During the SARS crisis they built a new hospital in one week.
    They're racing to build a new 1,000-bed hospital in just six days, beginning on Thursday night.

Can we not get these guys to build the new Childrens hospital in Dublin ?
    And maybe a couple more for good measure ?

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/24/coronavirus-chinese-hospitals-in-chaos-as-lockdown-spreads-to-affect-25m-people

In the city of Wuhan, where most cases have occurred, the race to build a new 1,000-bed hospital in just six days began on Thursday night. Diggers and bulldozers beginning work on the site of a holiday complex once intended for local workers, according to Chinese media.

The hospital, which is due to open next week, is similar to those established in Beijing in 2003, when the city faced a Sars outbreak that killed almost 800 people and reached nearly 30 countries.

During that crisis, 7,000 workers in Beijing built the Xiaotangshan hospital in its northern suburbs in just a week. Within two months, it treated one-seventh of all the country’s Sars patients, the Changjiang Daily said.

Coronavirus: 14 people in the UK test negative as China sends military doctors to Wuhan – live news
    Read more
    “It created a miracle in the history of medical science,” the paper added. It said the new Wuhan hospital “is to solve the shortage of existing medical resources”.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They're racing to build a new 1,000-bed hospital in just six days, beginning on Thursday night.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jan/24/coronavirus-chinese-hospitals-in-chaos-as-lockdown-spreads-to-affect-25m-people

Built in 6 days, on the verge of collapse after 6 years. Not known for building quality over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

Yeah fly the lads in from Wuhan immediately to build the hospital. What could go wrong!?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Built in 6 days, on the verge of collapse after 6 years. Not known for building quality over there.

Its probably a modular field hospital sort of thing..

We are also not known for building quality.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Same with swine flu. A load of bollox.
    Swine flu was sorted out by a bunch of airborne rabbis back in the day. Turns out all you have to do is go up in a plane and blow into a ram's horn, swing your bonce back and forth and shout into a telephone. Easy as pie.

Not sure what the cure for Coronavirus is. Maybe you've to whistle loudly or something.

I'm sure that research theologians in Riyadh, Rome and Jerusalem are working hard on the problem anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭enricoh

Will it affect tourism much I wonder?
    Foot n mouth was a disaster iirc, will the Yanks opt for a staycation this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

The US has confirmed its second case. Its a woman who arrived from Wohan on the 13th of Jan, That's 11 days ago. This has a bit more to run I think.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-confirms-coronavirus-case-chicago-dozens-under-investigation

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is a joke

Irish Independent Headline

Belfast Telegraph Headline

Gotta keep the minions scared though. Why let facts get in the way of a terrifying story?

Earlier on the radio news, when the virus was their No1 story, they said a man was being checked out in a Dublin hospital for symptoms too, but was found not to have the virus. So why even mention it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

scotchy wrote: »
    The US has confirmed its second case. Its a woman who arrived from Wohan on the 13th of Jan, That's 11 days ago. This has a bit more to run I think.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-confirms-coronavirus-case-chicago-dozens-under-investigation

Yeah I wonder if fox will report on the 6600 deaths in the US this flu season. Figures released by the CDC on the 22 January.

Advertisement