Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Race events

• 23-01-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Hope someone might point me in the right direction. I have a nephew who is studying photography in college and he is hoping to get into sports photography. Anyway he is struggling to find races to go to. All other sports events are fairly well advertised. We don’t have a local club near us to ask. He is located in the Wicklow currently but can travel. So is there a website or social media page that has listings of events.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

Check out the Cycling Ireland calendar, that will give you the dates/ locations of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

ratracer wrote: »
    Check out the Cycling Ireland calendar, that will give you the dates/ locations of events.

Perfect just what he was looking for... plenty for him locally enough.
    Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he should try to get to races which use multiple laps of the same course - it will at least give him more opportunities to get some action shots.

he should try to get to races which use multiple laps of the same course - it will at least give him more opportunities to get some action shots.

Ok thanks I will pass that advice onto him .

Would anyone have an event I could recommend to him in the next 6 months where it’s multiple laps of course... in Leinster area but can go further if needed.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

I'd agree especially when learning and refining his trade - cyclocross (albeit with season at an end) would be a good option - there should be links to photos on a round by round basis here which would give a good feel of position and composition

https://theleinsterleagueofcyclocross.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

harr wrote: »
      Would anyone have an event I could recommend to him in the next 6 months where it’s multiple laps of course... in Leinster area but can go further if needed.
      Thanks

Mondello series on Tuesday nights when it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Most of the races are multiple laps of the same course so he won't really go wrong choosing a Saturday or Sunday race.

If he wants shorter laps like Mondello, he could contact whoever's booked Corkagh Park to see if they'd welcome a photographer at their training/league.

Alternatively, find out what races Sean Rowe is going to and shadow him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭columbus_66

Might be the odd mountain bike race in Wicklow as well. And the Shay Elliott and Christy Mac run by Bray Wheelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

The Laragh Classic. 29th of August.

Lot's of great shots of pain and suffering going over the Wicklow Gap.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Mountain Biking
      Ballinastoe Blitz on February 9th
      http://bikingblitz.ie/index.php/wicklow-blitz/

That will definitely have other sports photographers who may be willing to share a few hints

Where in Wicklow is he?

edit - not cycling but the hillrunners have an event on near Laragh on Sunday 26th January
      https://www.imra.ie/events/view/id/1860/

Thanks everyone for your suggestions I will pass them on. Really appreciate the recommendations:
      He is currently in Bray week days and back home to Laois on Thursdays , and probably moving back home in a few weeks. He stays with family friends at moment so will be between Laois and Bray. Lots of friends in and around Wicklow so he will probably end up moving back once he finds somewhere more permanent to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Bray Wheelers run a club league on Thursday evenings from late April on. If he keeps an eye on the FB page he'll see where the weekly races are. Might be suitable for a mid-week fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Also IVCA (vets) racing.
      Only one out and back course with the rest being multiple laps of circuits.
      Every Sun from March - Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

If your nephew is the Kildare side of Laois we have a club league on Thursday evenings during the summer, mainly Kildare clubs but also Carlow and Ossory, he'd be more than welcome, especially if he shares some of the shots.

nilhg wrote: »
      If your nephew is the Kildare side of Laois we have a club league on Thursday evenings during the summer, mainly Kildare clubs but also Carlow and Ossory, he'd be more than welcome, especially if he shares some of the shots.

Thanks very much , I will pass this on. Can you PM some details of where its held thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭nilhg

harr wrote: »
      Thanks very much , I will pass this on. Can you PM some details of where its held thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBikeologyOrbeaLeague/

Should be public to all, once fixtures for the new season are decided they'll be up there. Usually starts with a fixture in Mondello late April/early May.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Almost all road races are laps, also there's a velodrome in Crumlin, Sundrive velodrome, he'll get loads of lap opportunities there! And we all love a picture, although he is only allowed to take very nice ones of me :pac:

Advertisement