Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Veg plans for 2020

• 21-01-2020 11:57am

Well,
    I thought It might be helpful if people posted their plating plans for 2020.
    I'd consider myself a newby so been trying to figure out what and when to plant.
    I have winter set onions up now and 2 rows of garlic.
    We did plant 2 rows of radish + some leafs just to have something in the (new) beds over winter.Couldn't look at them empty after building them.
    On the cards

-Sweet pea
    -Corn
    -tomatoes
    -courgettes
    -Pumpkins (never had much joy with them in the previous small garden)

Comments

Chiili's already planted indoors.

On the cards:

-potatoes
    -onions

If I get my hydroponics set up going - lettuce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Been thinking about this. probably going to put in a new raised bed and deploy a bag or two for potatoes
    I'll go for carrots, usual mixed salad greens, a few tomato plants, onions, chard.

Been thinking about this. probably going to put in a new raised bed and deploy a bag or two for potatoes
    I'll go for carrots, usual mixed salad greens, a few tomato plants, onions, chard.

I've a big raised bed planned myself but I'll be filling it from the pond I'm planning so It won't be ready till the end of the season I'd say.

Our chillies/bell peppers have survived in the greenhouse until this week,they are looking a bit sad now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Well,
    I thought It might be helpful if people posted their plating plans for 2020.
    I'd consider myself a newby so been trying to figure out what and when to plant.
    I have winter set onions up now and 2 rows of garlic.
    We did plant 2 rows of radish + some leafs just to have something in the (new) beds over winter.Couldn't look at them empty after building them.
    On the cards

-Sweet pea
    -Corn
    -tomatoes
    -courgettes
    -Pumpkins (never had much joy with them in the previous small garden)

Quick question for you on the Garlic, when did you sow and how much is it up?
    I planted garlic bulbs in November and only one or two are starting to appear now. They were up much more this time last year.......they grew so well last year i would be p'ssed off if they didnt grow this year. i used bulbs from what i grew last year

I am in the process of building three raised beds from stone from an old shed.......harder work than i thought it would be!!

I have winter peas and beans up in one bed and filled the other bed i had last year with strawberry plants.

In the new beds i plan on
    Carrots
    parsnips
    courgette
    Peas
    lettuce
    beetroot
    spinach
    kale

Not sure i will get to all this but at least ill enjoy trying!!!

• Advertisement

cuculainn wrote: »

Good question,I dont remember when but they are all up about 200mm (20 or so shoots).
    Its my first time trying them,just planted cloves from aldi.

I've read with regards to garlic,
    Plant before the shortest day and harvest before the longest day .

Good question,I dont remember when but they are all up about 200mm (20 or so shoots).
    Its my first time trying them,just planted cloves from aldi.

I've read with regards to garlic,
    Plant before the shortest day and harvest before the longest day .

Are they outside or in a tunnel? 200mm is great growth......

Are they outside or in a tunnel? 200mm is great growth......

No,exposed to the elements.
    I'll take a few snaps at the weekend.The only time I see the garden under daylight at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got my seeds today

denartha wrote: »
    Chiili's already planted indoors.

On the cards:

-potatoes
    -onions

If I get my hydroponics set up going - lettuce.

I'm vaguely interested in this as a method, I've seen vids where growers working on a small plot have a smallish tunnel which produced enough for commercial purposes at very little expense in terms of time once it's been set up.

• Advertisement

I've a big raised bed planned myself but I'll be filling it from the pond I'm planning so It won't be ready till the end of the season I'd say.

Our chillies/bell peppers have survived in the greenhouse until this week,they are looking a bit sad now :(

Have you a light in there?

I'm vaguely interested in this as a method, I've seen vids where growers working on a small plot have a smallish tunnel which produced enough for commercial purposes at very little expense in terms of time once it's been set up.

My dad bought me a kit for Christmas. Its a plastic box about 40cm cubed. You add stone pellets in the top, add nutrients and plant what you intend to grow among the pellets, then theres a pump which sprays the water + nutrient combo over the plants. Lettuce apparently works really well. I love the idea of free, fresh organic lettuce all year round.

My vague plan is to get one of these, put it in the corner of the living room, and install some lights on a timer.

Edit: The thought of being raided by the drugs squad because they think Im running a grow house, and revealing my lettuce to them, really amuses me.

denartha wrote: »
    Have you a light in there?

Light as in grow light ?
    No,
    Do have a small heater that keeps it slightly above 5 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I have big plans this year if all goes to plan. I'm expanding the garden as we speak and getting a delivery of about 2 tonnes of 2 year old cow manure to build new beds in the next few weeks.

At the minute I have overwintering onions and garlic in the ground split between outside and the polytunnel. Also have an overwintering bed of spinach and 5 good sized purple sprouting broccoli plants. Just planted my first early potatoes in the polytunnel at the weekend which I can fleece up if needed. Will soon be sowing early carrots, leeks, lettuce, broad beans, peas, chillis and peppers. The plan is to fill the polytunnel with French beans, borlotti beans, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, courgettes and peppers.

Will also have a brassica bed and a good sized area for main crop spuds (Sarpo Mira, Setanta, Kestrel as well as early Charlottes and Queens) which I am going to grow in 30l containers. And then main crop carrots and parsnips for storage. My goal is have enough in store to do us until next spring if possible.

Have a good season everyone.

That sounds fantastic !
    I had to google brassica,Post a few pics if you can.

Light as in grow light ?
    No,
    Do have a small heater that keeps it slightly above 5 degrees.

Doesn't have to be a grow light. Any kind of light would do.

I had a great crop of chillies last christmas using just a small desk light and a 60 watt bulb.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Finally get a garden I can grow stuff in, and the soil is fecking clay. Have dug over a bed and added leaf mulch and hay, but don’t know how that’s been going with the rain ( garden was flooded last week. Have no idea what i could grow in it :(

If it's horrible clay from turf to subsoil I'd not spend any time trying to rehabilitate it, I'd just go up, foot deep raised beds with fresh topsoil mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If it's horrible clay from turf to subsoil I'd not spend any time trying to rehabilitate it, I'd just go up, foot deep raised beds with fresh topsoil mix.

We went down about 2.5feet putting in a fence post and it was clay all the way. I’ve postulated with Himself about raised beds, but those things are not cheap.

You can totally make them on the cheap from posts and wide boards.then line them with a tarp.
    I have one made out or real sleepers,while it looks really nice it's not high enough and cost loads.

• Advertisement

Make them out of pallets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Novice gardener here, thinking about trying these this year in a ~60m2 plot:

Early potatoes
    Carrots
    Brocolli
    Sprouting brocolli
    Cauliflower
    Celery
    Leek
    Rocket
    Onions
    Garlic
    Some herbs (parsely, thyme, rosemary, coriander, lavender, sage, chamomile)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

I have just got in some of my seeds for this year, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli,peppers,carrots, parsnip, usually buy the lettuce plants. Will also be planting the spuds and plenty onions . Will be preparing the ground shortly for this years gardening and adding in some well rotted seaweed

cheers

how did you find that

keeffo2005 wrote: »
    cheers

how did you find that

Veggie group on Facebook :)

Also seed parade are having a flash sale at the moment on seeds

Veggie group on Facebook :)

Also seed parade are having a flash sale at the moment on seeds

What's the link to the group?

keeffo2005 wrote: »

What's the link to the group?

Can't remember. I'm part of a few gardening/ allotment/ no dig groups found in the UK and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I planted garlic bulbs in November and only one or two are starting to appear now. They were up much more this time last year.......they grew so well last year i would be p'ssed off if they didnt grow this year. i used bulbs from what i grew last year

This year is going to be "interesting" seeing as we've had no real winter. Garlic likes a good cold spell and although I have a few feral plants from bulbs that escaped being harvested last year, I'm not hopeful of a good crop this year from anything that needs a hard frost.

On the other hand, I already have a drill of potatoes growing nicely - it's an experiment, to see if I can have new potatoes for St. Patrick's Day! :D They're the last 3m of my autumn crop, which had already sprouted before I got to lift them (probably due to one cold-ish week at the beginning of December). I'm heaping grass clippings on top of them, expecting the heat from decomposition will protect them from any future frost.

• Advertisement

This year is going to be "interesting" seeing as we've had no real winter. Garlic likes a good cold spell and although I have a few feral plants from bulbs that escaped being harvested last year, I'm not hopeful of a good crop this year from anything that needs a hard frost.

On the other hand, I already have a drill of potatoes growing nicely - it's an experiment, to see if I can have new potatoes for St. Patrick's Day! :D They're the last 3m of my autumn crop, which had already sprouted before I got to lift them (probably due to one cold-ish week at the beginning of December). I'm heaping grass clippings on top of them, expecting the heat from decomposition will protect them from any future frost.

Planted my garlic last October and it's coming along nicely.
    Don't know what part of the country you're in not to have had a hard frost in recent weeks.

Advertisement