Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Croatia

Options
  • 19-01-2020 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Planning on going to Croatia for holidays in August, we were orintinally planning on starting in Zagreb, moving to split from there and finishing in Dubrovnik but I’m thinking of ditching Zagreb now and doing the other 2.

Would split and Dubrovnik be the better options ? I know it’s a 3 hour bus trip between the 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Planning on going to Croatia for holidays in August, we were orintinally planning on starting in Zagreb, moving to split from there and finishing in Dubrovnik but I’m thinking of ditching Zagreb now and doing the other 2.

Would split and Dubrovnik be the better options ? I know it’s a 3 hour bus trip between the 2

So zadar instead of Zagreb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Beersmith wrote: »
    So zadar instead of Zagreb

I’ll have a look into that. The reason we were going to ditch Zagreb was because of the 4 hour bus trip

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We did: Zadar - Split - Dubrovnik.

I really wanted to see Plitvice lakes, so Zadar was a good base for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

woodchuck wrote: »

Yeah they should do that

Agree! Ryanair flight into Zadar, bus to Split, bus to Dubronik, Ryanair flight home from Dubrovnik.

I can't remember the exact length of the bus journeys, maybe 2-3 hours. Nothing unmanageable anyway!

• Advertisement

Thanks that’s the order we were going to do buy Zagreb instead of zadar. The more I look at Zagreb the less I like it though.

I’m just afraid I’ll love one place and then have to move on to the next. Are all 3 of those places good in your opinion ?
    What’s the night life like etc

I see most of the flights have a stop too from either cork or Dublin ?

I think we were there for about 10 days... our itinerary was roughly the following:

- Zadar: 2 days, 3 nights. So one full day to explore around the town itself. It's a nice enough place, but quite small and I didn't get the feeling that there was much nightlife. It was nice to wander around the old town and along the seafront though. A little more relaxing and less touristy than the other places. We spent our second day at Plitvice lakes, which is WELL worth the trip. Definitely the highlight for me. Zadar was nice, but more of a gateway to get to Plitvice lakes for me :)

- Split: I think we spend 2 days 3 nights here too. It's bigger and more touristy than Zadar. So more things to do. We went to the island Hvar one of the days - that's known as the party island!

- Dubrovnik: getting even bigger and even more touristy here! I think we spend 3 full days here. It's swarming with tourists, but there is a reason it's so popular. Even with all the tourists, it's such a nice place and there's plenty to do (walk along the walls, do a game of thrones tour, get the cable car up the hill for the view etc). And you can escape the madness if you want by visiting Lokrum island (we spent most of one day there - came across lots of peacocks and their chicks!).

If you have longer than 10 days, I'd also consider going to Montenegro!

Just talking to the OH who was on that trip with me. He also visited Zagreb briefly before we met. He agrees that you should ditch Zagreb and do Zadar, Split, Dubrovnik instead!

I think we were there for about 10 days... our itinerary was roughly the following:

- Zadar: 2 days, 3 nights. So one full day to explore around the town itself. It's a nice enough place, but quite small and I didn't get the feeling that there was much nightlife. It was nice to wander around the old town and along the seafront though. A little more relaxing and less touristy than the other places. We spent our second day at Plitvice lakes, which is WELL worth the trip. Definitely the highlight for me. Zadar was nice, but more of a gateway to get to Plitvice lakes for me :)

- Split: I think we spend 2 days 3 nights here too. It's bigger and more touristy than Zadar. So more things to do. We went to the island Hvar one of the days - that's known as the party island!

- Dubrovnik: getting even bigger and even more touristy here! I think we spend 3 full days here. It's swarming with tourists, but there is a reason it's so popular. Even with all the tourists, it's such a nice place and there's plenty to do (walk along the walls, do a game of thrones tour, get the cable car up the hill for the view etc). And you can escape the madness if you want by visiting Lokrum island (we spent most of one day there - came across lots of peacocks and their chicks!).

If you have longer than 10 days, I'd also consider going to Montenegro!

Just talking to the OH who was on that trip with me. He also visited Zagreb briefly before we met. He agrees that you should ditch Zagreb and do Zadar, Split, Dubrovnik instead!

Thanks for the information. Ya we think that’s what we’re going to do , maybe 2 days in zadar and 4 in each of split and Dubrovnik :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Damn im torn reading this thread haha, looking to go for 6 nights beginning of May. Should I just stay in one spot do ye think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

zweton wrote: »
    Damn im torn reading this thread haha, looking to go for 6 nights beginning of May. Should I just stay in one spot do ye think?

6 nights on one spot is too much, the tourists in Dubrovnik will drive you crazy by the end of day 2!

Did a similar route from Dubrovnik to Zadar a few years ago but included overnights on Zadar and Korcula islands. All done by public transport, very easy to get around. There ar emultiple bus departures between the main cities everyday so it’s very easy to rock up and buy a ticket on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Ok I hear ya, can anyone do me a 6 night itinerary ? Flying from Dublin to Zadar...Would like to get the lakes in that were mentioned here, other than than where to go...

It’s very expensive to be honest, I was quoted 2200 for 10 nights for me and herself starting in Dubrovnik and finishing in zadar flying from Dublin.

Think I might go about booking it myself and just do 4 nights in Dubrovnik and 4 in split. Where is the better place to travel from if you want to visit hvar?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Ferry from Split to go to Hvar. Dubrovnik is more expensive because of all the cruise ships coming in. I found that eating out and drinks got cheaper the further north I went.

I would go 3 days Dubrovnik, 5 days Split using Split as a base to get the ferry out to some of the islands and a day trip to Plitvice national park.

Humour Me wrote: »
    Ferry from Split to go to Hvar. Dubrovnik is more expensive because of all the cruise ships coming in. I found that eating out and drinks got cheaper the further north I went.

I would go 3 days Dubrovnik, 5 days Split using Split as a base to get the ferry out to some of the islands and a day trip to Plitvice national park.

Perfect thanks. Hvar is the party island isn’t it ? Probably end up staying over night. Also I taught that national park was closer to zadar than split ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Anyone ever been to Krk island?

Was offered a house for a week this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭numbernine

Hi all, could anyone give any recommendations for an itinerary for 6/7 days? Looking to go in summer but dont know where to start. Thanks a mkll

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭numbernine

Hi all, could anyone give any recommendations for an itinerary for 6/7 days? Looking to go in summer but dont know where to start. Thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

If in Split strongly recommend visiting Trogir. Gorgeous town 30 minutes from Split. If in Dubrovnik the day trip to Mostar is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

numbernine wrote: »
    Hi all, could anyone give any recommendations for an itinerary for 6/7 days? Looking to go in summer but dont know where to start. Thanks a mill

Either Zadar down to Split or Split to Dubrovnik or base yourself in Dubrovnik and cross into Kotor in Montenegro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ash97

Zadar is a beautiful place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BongoD

(First post here) Wife and I are going for 10 days in October. First time. Itinerary is not quite finished yet but the bones of it are:

Fly into Dubrovnik (from Boston via Munich).

4 days in Dubrovnik. May do a day trip to Mostar in Bosnia on one of those days. About 2.5 hour drive).

Fly to Zagreb. Rent a car at the airport and straight onto Ljubliana, Slovenia. One night there.

Drive to Lake Bled. 2 nights there touring around.

Drive back into Croatia and spend a day and a half at Plitvice. One night there.

Drive back to Dubrovnik with a stop-off at Zadar. One night in Dubrovnik.

Fly back to Boston but we have a 16 hour layover in Munich so one night there. Then home the day after.

At least that's the plan for now. Will report back when we get home. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,118 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Zadar is a nice quiet town.

If you are able to take in a trip to Krka waterfall, and the surrounding national park - do!

Advertisement