Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Election called for Saturday 8 February

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

another election, **** candidates and more of the same **** government, there's a sneak preview of the next few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

FF + Greens + Others......let's see the country brought to its knees again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its already painful, to sum it up....They are right( whatever political party is talking) and the others are wrong. I have a radical idea, what about talking about the policies not how the others are wrong.

Pearse Doherty is talking about who they will be talking to about forming a government the delusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Out with Harris, Flanagan & Ross. Varadkar as an added bonus.
    I think Simon Coveney would make a better leader than dreamy Varadkar, not that I'm a Fine Gael fan in particular.
    I still have an aversion to FF, mainly down to Michael Martin as being the survivor of the disastrous previous FF government.
    And I'm going to have to try hard not to get caught listening to him being interviewed over the next few weeks. Why? Because he constantly, and I mean constantly, uses the phrase "in terms of"...very irritating!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've a good paid job, private health insurance and paying a low rate mortgage.
    Who should I hire for?
    FF did the most damage to the country since the foundation of the state. SF want to tax me more but we won't get any better services, voting independent is a waste of my time going to the major box.
    The greens might be a choice but too small to effect real change. Labour to help the unions blackmail conjurers, nope.

I have never stuck my fingers in an electricity socket, but hey, why not for a change.

Im comfortable too. But one must think of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Idbatterim wrote: »
    another election, **** candidates and more of the same **** government, there's a sneak preview of the next few years!

You can close your ears and nod off till it's over if you like!
    Then come back and whinge no matter who wins.
    I doubt if any of us, have much more choice but most will get on with it and vote for at least some ****e candidate, and whinge after it's over too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They wont, no, but I just find SH insufferable. He's a little nerd bringing in stupid party spoiling alcohol and vape rules while the real problems spiral out of control.

Heard him best described (can't remember where) as "the boy who makes the tea for the real minister for health".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Who should I hire for?
    FF did the most damage to the country since the foundation of the state. SF want to tax me more but we won't get any better services, voting independent is a waste of my time going to the major box.
    The greens might be a choice but too small to effect real change. Labour to help the unions blackmail conjurers, nope.

I have never stuck my fingers in an electricity socket, but hey, why not for a change.

I feel much like yourself, last time round i found myself voting for the people i least didn't want, as there just wasn't anyone on the ballot i could actually say i wanted.

I don't know if i'll even bother voting this time, there just is no opposition unless you stray far into looney tune land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

FG, 'the Party of Law and Order' use to be the catchcry. They did absolutely nothing about crime the past 8 years except help make Barristers and Solicitors richer.
    How many areas around the country now have a fully armed Rapid Response Unit on standby?
    I read a story this morning about how the Army were deployed with the Gardai last night searching for a few criminals. That's how bad things have gotten and it barely makes the news.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

padd b1975 wrote: »
    The Trots will be lucky to have any representation at all in the next Dail.

Rich Boy was the only chance but the Greens are likely to eat that seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Please don't let Shane Ross, Simon Harris, and Eoin Murphy anywhere near that item of furniture known as the Cabinet Table!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

This is still largely predictable: as it stands from polls we are looking at either FF or FG minority govt. The polls in the UK lost some credibility over Brexit but I think any Cambridge Analytica type of social media engineering is more likely to be done by FG. Hoping for a strong campaign by opposition to address real structural issues.

I have FF backed a while ago at 10/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

FG for a historic 3rd term with support from the greens and Labour. Hopefully can jettison FF as a confidence and supply partner and continue the good work in growing the economy.

No one wants to go back to the Bertie style giveaway politics.

And what would FG have done differently if not weighted down by their best pals in stability FF? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Who should I hire for?

Everything that is wrong with the majority of voting people of Ireland in one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its already painful, to sum it up....They are right( whatever political party is talking) and the others are wrong. I have a radical idea, what about talking about the policies not how the others are wrong.

Agreed. This was one major factor in the 2016 US election in fact, the negative campaigning ("We're not saying we're good, we're just saying the other guy is sh!te") seriously turned people off.

I'm all for attacking this government's record, seriously hope they get a right thrashing at the ballot box, but provide examples of what you'd do differently if you got elected FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not impressed that it’s on a Saturday, especially on the day of a Six Nations “match”. Very poor planning.

Can’t help but feel that the Irish political “swing” is going back to FF.

That’s seems to be the way we do it. Give FF a good run to wreck the country, let FG come in to clean up the mess and make the hard decisions, then “reward” them by booting them and putting FF back in charge.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That’s seems to be the way we do it. Give FF a good run to wreck the country, let FG come in to clean up the mess and make the hard decisions, then “reward†them by booting them and putting FF back in charge.

Fg cleaned up the mess?

Not impressed that it’s on a Saturday, especially on the day of a Six Nations “match”. Very poor planning.

Can’t help but feel that the Irish political “swing” is going back to FF.

That’s seems to be the way we do it. Give FF a good run to wreck the country, let FG come in to clean up the mess and make the hard decisions, then “reward” them by booting them and putting FF back in charge.

What the hell did they clean up and what hard decisions did they make????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Everything that is wrong with the majority of voting people of Ireland in one post.

In your opinion!
    Saying everyone else is wrong is actually the worst argument ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

100% the I'm all right Jack's .
    I'm all right too ,happy enough with my lot but I will still not be voting either FG or ff.
    Sf for me.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Fg cleaned up the mess?

Like them or loathe them but they oversaw the turnaround towards a functioning economy.

The agrarian classes are getting disgruntled so the farmer, the publican and the priest will rally their troops and get FF back in charge to ensure they get their payouts.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I shall be voting, FG, they haven't given me a reason not to and, as there's no one in Ireland further to the right fiscally but retaining left wing liberal views for social issues, they have my vote. I voted FF until 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

In your opinion!
    And mine

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Who should I hire for?

Exactly.
    I am in the same boat, and following the same logical path leads me to vote FG

In your opinion!
    Saying everyone else is wrong is actually the worst argument ever.

I didn't say everyone else was wrong, I said that poster and the opinion he holds is very very wrong.

"sure I'm grand, why would I want anything to change?"

The people you refer to are paying the bills, not just their own bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Like them or loathe them but they oversaw the turnaround towards a functioning economy.

Do our economies truly function for our societies?

Our political system is locked down by fg and ff, there's very between them

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Do our economies truly function for our societies?

Our political system is locked down by fg and ff, there's very between them

FF are the party of the nod and the wink. Spivs and gougers, to a man.

The tide is turning…

Augeo wrote: »
    The people you refer to are paying the bills, not just their own bills.

Nobody bar myself and my wife are paying our bills. It doesn't mean we are stupid enough to keep the current mob in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Then the public have choices of a fair range at election time in most constituencies, so it's your neighbours you have the disagreement with.

Advertisement