Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mavic rim pothole damage

• 12-01-2020 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hit a pothole before Christmas, unsighted in a group ride. Hit it at about 30kph. Thoughts on any chance of repair or is the rim gone?
    And would I have any claim off the county council or is that fantasy?

2020-01-12-15-14-37.jpg

2020-01-12-15-14-24.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Zero chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Threads on here suggest otherwise even though they're not liable according to legal discussion. Car owners have got the cost of a tyre IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mavic will do a crash replacement rim for you for far cheaper than a new one if that's the route you want to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

dahat wrote: »
    Mavic will do a crash replacement rim for you for far cheaper than a new one if that's the route you want to go.
    Thanks, i'll check it out with them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

ED E wrote: »
    Car owners have got the cost of a tyre IIRC.

A friend of mine hit a pothole with his car and it costs over €2K for two new wheels and tyres. He hounded them for 18 months but eventually got the money. He was helped on by the fact someone else had already reported it but the council had failed to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Effects wrote: »
    A friend of mine hit a pothole with his car and it costs over €2K for two new wheels and tyres. He hounded them for 18 months but eventually got the money. He was helped on by the fact someone else had already reported it but the council had failed to fix it.

Recall sometime ago hearing that you could get damages under malfeasance i.e. if they repair the job but make a hames of it and you subsequently have your vehicle damaged, they are liable - whereas if they do nothing, they carry no liability for the pothole's existence

Is that anyone else's interpretation of the extent of their liability ??

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

jrar wrote: »
    Recall sometime ago hearing that you could get damages under malfeasance i.e. if they repair the job but make a hames of it and you subsequently have your vehicle damaged, they are liable - whereas if they do nothing, they carry no liability for the pothole's existence

Is that anyone else's interpretation of the extent of their liability ??

That's correct.
    If a pothole occurs due to wear and tear it is misfeasance and the Council have no liability.
    If they do a repair badly it's malfeasance and they have a liability.

Got on to Mavic, got a reply today. The wheel is too old for their service centre but they'd offer me a 30% loyalty discount on the equivalent new wheel which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

Got on to Mavic, got a reply today. The wheel is too old for their service centre but they'd offer me a 30% loyalty discount on the equivalent new wheel which is fair enough.

Would that apply to all Mavic Wheels or a certain entry point ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

rayman1 wrote: »
    That's correct.
    If a pothole occurs due to wear and tear it is misfeasance and the Council have no liability.
    If they do a repair badly it's malfeasance and they have a liability.
    A work colleague got a cheque today for €360 from Louth Co Council for damage to an alloy wheel on his car when he hit a pot hole a few months ago.. He said no mention was made about whether it was repaired badly or just wear and tear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

rayman1 wrote: »
    That's correct.
    If a pothole occurs due to wear and tear it is nonfeasance and the Council have no liability.
    If they do a repair badly it's misfeasance and they have a liability.

FYP.

Malfeasance would be acting deliberately and unlawfully.

Misfeasance is a fancy word for making a boll0x of a repair.

Arguments can be made that original construction was substandard, inadequate drainage etc etc.

The cost of arguement would typically by a very nice bike so probably not worth it for a rim if Council won't pay at outset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

OP is it a front or rear wheel? They look like Mavic SLR rims so would be a bitter pill to swallow.

If it's the rear I'd get an adjustable spanner and gently massage it back out.

Also if you recall where the pothole is you can report it on fixmystreet.ie, I believe if the council are aware of the damage and fail to undertake repairs it goes a long way to people claiming for damages. You could also check if it has been reported previously if you're venturing down the damages route.

A decent offer from Mavic either way :)

Lewotsil wrote: »
    Would that apply to all Mavic Wheels or a certain entry point ?
    It's the front so not worth the risk of trying to repair. They offered the current equivalent Ksyrium Pro Exalith which retail at £460.
    They are Mavic SLR so it was a good wheel, and decent offer from them. Only had them a year (2nd hand).
    Must drive out to the pothole, bit of a journey but I'll check was it previously reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankirish

Hit a pothole before Christmas, unsighted in a group ride. Hit it at about 30kph. Thoughts on any chance of repair or is the rim gone?

Where are you located? I have a front wheel that same as yours. My rear is useless as a spoke pulled through. Your welcome to look at my rim?

Frankirish wrote: »

Where are you located? I have a front wheel that same as yours. My rear is useless as a spoke pulled through. Your welcome to look at my rim?
    Hiya, never saw your post, I'm in Cork, I might be sorted but if not I'll be in touch. Thanks

Advertisement