Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live Alone Vegan Weekly Budget

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

My best tip is to batch cook. Soups, stews, curries, batch cook, then put portion sized amounts into freezer bags. You will have a supply of a variety of meals, and it will greatly cut down on waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

madmaggie wrote: »
    My best tip is to batch cook. Soups, stews, curries, batch cook, then put portion sized amounts into freezer bags. You will have a supply of a variety of meals, and it will greatly cut down on waste.

Didn’t think of freezing in bags before and just bought a few little reusable plastic trays in aldi. Can you get freezer bags that allow you to then boil in the bag to reheat and avoid defrosting / microwaving? Sounds like a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomazzi

Maggie is on the ball, if your picky and want to eat differently every single day, any cooking or diet will be more expensive..
    Batch cooking and having some soups in the "bag" too is not only cheaper but really cool when one doesn't feel like cooking..
    Youtube is there 24/7 and one can learn how to bake bread within a day or two or a week...unless gou live with your mammy and she doesn't allow you bake fear youl better her bread..
    Lentils which also "stiffen your sh*t" are like 1.40'.. for a bag you can cook enough food for 6 people, along with an onion,garlic,some raisins cumin, on a bed of rice..rice in aldo couldnt be much fo than 2€
    In another world thats available in ireland too, one could cook only once a week for say a tenner or 15..freeze in 6 bags or boxes and eat one large meal a day with simple fruit oats toast coffee tea in morning...
    This is not something my people can do ubless they go to an expensive retreat in india where the have to smile at everyone and generally feel better for doing so...
    Trouble is here,we are so conditioned on my levels than we end up parting money everywhere
    The new vegan fast food is gimic which shoud be enjoyed rarely, nce twice a year...its dead, but anyway a little bit of junk now and against keeps the dna happy
    If one drinks alcohol that is where the hemorrhage is...unless your lucky enough to brew your own or live in France
    R I p ireland and rip off ireland are the same.thing

READ FLAN O BRIENS POOR MOUTH for another dimension on simple living

The mind is ****ed....body folly

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Totally agree with batch cooking if you can. Happy Pear have a series on their youtube channel of how to cook a week of meals at once for €20 - worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I don't know about boil in the bag bags. I buy ordinary freezer bags in Aldi, defrost the stew or whatever overnight. You can even wash out the bag for reuse. My thrifty Scottish genes are working well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomazzi

Dont talk to men about bags....wev been washin em for millenia!!!
    James Brown Rice

You need to bump up the protein in the sandwiches. I'm a fiend for sandwiches and a typical one for me would be like hummus, something pickled, green leaves, sprouted lentils, nutritional yeast and toasted seeds.

Have Aldi chilli humous in my sandwiches every day this week with spinach, rocket and tomato and I must say it's lovely. Laying it on thick, reminds me of potato salad!
    Not missing the quorn slices or linda mac sausage sandwiches yet.

How would the humous compare for protein?
    I have some Gosh cocktail sausages in the lunchbox too (aldi) so I'm still kind of cheating :)

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Have Aldi chilli humous in my sandwiches every day this week with spinach, rocket and tomato and I must say it's lovely. Laying it on thick, reminds me of potato salad!
    Is it quite hot? Tesco used to do an Extreme Chilli Houmous but they don't anymore and I'm looking for a good replacement.

Páid wrote: »
    Is it quite hot? Tesco used to do an Extreme Chilli Houmous but they don't anymore and I'm looking for a good replacement.

No it’s very mild! Just has nice flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I'm looking for quite hot.

This is the Extreme Chilli I'm talking about but it's discontinued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Páid wrote: »

I get a jalapeño one in dunnes. Fire in a load of cayenne pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Two of these pittas is 11g of protein (and 9g of that god-level nutrient; fibre) https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=254945610

Warm them in the microwave then open them up, add a big dollop of hummus into them with pickled cabbage and onion salt - delicious. I think maybe 1g of protein in a table spoon of hummus so 1.5 tablespoons per pitta would give you another 3g on top of the 11g in the pittas. Under 500 calories too and very cheap (maybe 40 cent per two filled pittas).

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Cheap hummus: grab some cans of chickpeas and make your own in a blender. You can make it as hot as you want!

Usual ingredients: chick peas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt/pepper/chilli. Often it doesn't need salt.

Advertisement