Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mac OS X 10.10.5 Can't Preview .RAF Files

• 28-12-2019 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

Any Mac users out there?

Using an old iMac to do some editing but can't preview any RAW files in Finder.

RAW images are uncompressed, which means they should be viewable, but I'm not getting anything. Novice Mac user so any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

fixXxer wrote: »
    Any Mac users out there?

Using an old iMac to do some editing but can't preview any RAW files in Finder.

RAW images are uncompressed, which means they should be viewable, but I'm not getting anything. Novice Mac user so any suggestions are welcome.

What model camera are you using? Raw support in Mac OS is dependent on the version you are using. 10.10.5 is one of the versions of Yosemite, right? That’s a fairly old version of OSX. If the camera you are using is a more recent model it might be that version of OSX doesn’t support your camera’s raw files.

The list of raw files supported by Yosemite is here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203088

If your camera isn’t listed, the best option is to go to the App Store and update to a more recent version of OSX/Mac OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Is your camera a Fuji? The last camera I had that used a format with an .RAF extension, it was a Fuji bridge camera (Fuji Finepix S7000)
    Mine was supported, though.
    Maybe the version of the format has changed.
    The company that made the camera probably had a utility to convert to .DNG or at least to something like a .Tiff.

Not all raw formats are uncompressed, either. Some have lossless compression. (If the file size of your raw files isn't within a kilobyte for each shot, there's compression... only the metadata should be different in size. My raw files can vary in size by megabytes)

If your version of Photoshop is also old, it might need a newer version of the camera raw module. (I don't subscribe to adobe's dumbass "creative cloud" and so my camera raw version is stuck somewhere in the past. I shoot DNG format instead of Pentax's proprietary raw format unless I'm using pixel shift resolution modes... then I used their raw, and their conversion software to get it into a tiff)

Once converted to some other format, it'll probably be previewable. As long as it's in a raw format that isn't understood, it isn't likely to be.
    I think open source tools like RawTherapee are likely to understand the older formats, so that's possibly another option to look at. (There are several other raw format capable importers in the free open-source world... I can't remember any names right this second)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

fixXxer wrote: »
    RAW images are uncompressed, which means they should be viewable, but I'm not getting anything.

This is completely incorrect.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207972

Support is there in HS, I suspect you're using a really old build of OSX (old iMac). With windows it might be possible to patch it into explorer but with OSX its upgrade or workaround it.

https://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/viewer/

There are viewers available back to 10.1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you cannot upgrade to a newer version of OSx then a workaround would be to obtain a program that will convert you RAF files to DNG. It's an extra step but may be the simplest if you cannot upgrade.

Advertisement