Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Request: improve quality of jpeg photo for printing

• 17-12-2019 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a photo that I want to print for someone. Quality isn't great- jpg 450kb. Photo is attached. I know not much can be done but would any kind sir/madam here do me a quick Christmas favour & apply some wizardry, if possible.

Thanks in advance,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

How big a print are you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

I'll have a go later on this evening.

ok here's my attempt, there was a lot of CA in the tree branches and some banding artifacts in the sky, tricky one, but should print out ok(ish)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=497819&stc=1&d=1576605892

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Heebie wrote: »
    How big a print are you hoping for?

Should have included that in my post. 8" by 12" or next up sizes, but doubt it'd come out OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

dinneenp wrote: »
    Should have included that in my post. 8" by 12" or next up sizes, but doubt it'd come out OK.

:eek: The original file, at 720x480 px, 96ppi, would be only "satisfactory" (i.e. not "good") for a 6x4 print. It's going to take CSI-like fantasy enhancement to get it to the same barely acceptable standard for a print four times that size.

You might be able to cheat a bit by printing it on a coarse canvas, maybe even given a textured look before printing to hide all the false pixels that'll have to be added.

Does that particular image have some emotional/nostalgic significance? If not, you'd nearly be better off buying one from the OPW or similar.

• Advertisement

The file I've attached will print out at around what you want :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Fionn wrote: »
    The file I've attached will print out at around what you want :-)

Is is locked for the OP in some way? Won't open for me.
    Invalid Attachment specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

How about a B&W conversion? The small image size may be more forgiving.

ok here's my attempt, there was a lot of CA in the tree branches and some banding artifacts in the sky, tricky one, but should print out ok(ish)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=497819&stc=1&d=1576605892

Hi,
    Thanks for the work on it but the attachment won't open. Could you try again please?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Have you tried some of the AI Image upscalers?

imglarger.com
    bigjpg.com
    deep-image.ai
    imageupscaler.com
    topaz gigapixel AI
    Photoshop allows upscaling too ...

I've not used them so can't say. PixImperfect had a review of them on YouTube (imglarger is his top pick and gives you 19 free image upscales).

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for this. As it happens, I ended up using imglarger.com last night & a local photo shop is printing it as we speak in a fine art smooth finish, will post a picture of it when I have it.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

visitgalway.ie

“ The materials contained in this web site are protected by applicable copyright and trade mark law.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭victor8600

I have a photo that I want to print for someone. Quality isn't great- jpg 450kb.

I have a perfect solution! Ask the author of the image, Patrick Dinneen ( http://www.photoblog.ie/claregalway-friary-3/) to print the photo in its original quality for you.

Thought the op was Patrick Dineen... the photographer???

minikin wrote: »
    visitgalway.ie

“ The materials contained in this web site are protected by applicable copyright and trade mark law.”

I was confused by the above link at first. exact link to MY photo on visitgalway website without my permission!

Finally someone used my photo without my permission! The standard is to send them an invoice, presume that's what one would do with a website as well?

Thanks,
    Pa.

victor8600 wrote: »
    I have a perfect solution! Ask the author of the image, Patrick Dinneen ( http://www.photoblog.ie/claregalway-friary-3/) to print the photo in its original quality for you.

I took the photo but can't find it on my laptop, HD anywhere so this was the only file I could work with.

I was confused by the above link at first. exact link to MY photo on visitgalway website without my permission!

Finally someone used my photo without my permission! The standard is to send them an invoice, presume that's what one would do with a website as well?

Thanks,
    Pa.

I’d look at it two ways Patrick
    1. Invoice for unauthorised usage of image.
    Or
    2. Be a bit diplomatic about it. Request credit and direct link to your commercial site. They like your work, offer to quote them to shoot more work for the site. If this doesn’t work out or they get arsey then revert to 1.

Also found it on your flickr... maybe you also have a larger version there? Exif shows creation date as 07/03/2016... do a file search on your laptop for files created on or around that date.

I’d look at it two ways Patrick
    1. Invoice for unauthorised usage of image.
    Or
    2. Be a bit diplomatic about it. Request credit and direct link to your commercial site. They like your work, offer to quote them to shoot more work for the site. If this doesn’t work out or they get arsey then revert to 1.

Also found it on your flickr... maybe you also have a larger version there? Exif shows creation date as 07/03/2016... do a file search on your laptop for files created on or around that date.

Thanks for the advice.
    Flickr is where I got the file from. Checked for March that year but couldn't find it on my laptop- maybe I deleted it during one of my purges!

Thanks again for this. My wife is always amazing & surprised at the kindness of strangers on boards! What do you mean-
    someone bought something in Ikea for you without you paying them up front
    someone set up a family Spotify account
    someone collected an outfit from Disney store, gave it to someone to bring to Galway
    someone spent time editing a photo for you
    etc.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭victor8600

Thought the op was Patrick Dineen... the photographer???

I should have suspected that, the OP's username being dinneenp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Sorry for the late reply. I followed Karl Taylor's tutorial about preparing images for print and it worked out wonderfully. He's working with portraits as am I but perhaps you might get some value from it.

Advertisement