Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Posts moved - Use this thread for ALL Fight Night Events (Not main UFC cards) and if you are going to post event spoilers at least do it in here, it's not that hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

70340782_10215474594998638_1668541932038520832_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQkLL4_vO04RimGy7K_rnZVXUhEHBugVl0xp8w7TOteVY_twUhMiLyAXl97i4fXoRCk&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=92f7ceb4564fc428331145f3fa9aaddd&oe=5E3A8B81

Had a great time at my first ever UFC event. Fight of the night was easily Connolly, the crowd were loving that one.

Vegas next for me for a big event.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

eagle eye wrote: »
    Do you know Conor, is that how he reacts if he is not mentioned?
    It's just the narrative that people have invented.
    ricero wrote: »
    Gaethje is an animal. McGregor doesn't want to go anywhere near him as he knows he will end the hype once and for all.

Gaethje should wait it out and fight the winner of khabib vs Tony.

Why would Gaethje duck out the massive payday, expecially if it's an easy fight as you say.

Of course, the whole "X is a different animal" was rolled out many times in the past.
    ricero wrote: »
    Think Mcgregor has to win a fight to even be considered.

Absolutely, even if it was availible, jumping straight back in would be a bad idea.
    mailburner wrote: »
    This is something else for connelly to be fair, that 1lb pereira was over
    worked out to be a costly one but what a debut that was.
    I'd imagine it'll be a long time before he sees a payday like this again.

Tristan Connelly: $125,900 ($10,000 to show, $10,000 win bonus, $2,400 from Pereira for missing weight, $100,000 Fight of the Night bonus, $3,500 fight week incentive pay)
    Almost 10x what he average expected earnings were.
    That's such a career booster at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

rob316 wrote: »
    Cowboy fights too much that's his biggest problem, trying to be a company man and he's really a punch bag for the higher ranked guys. He took a beating off Ferguson only 2 months ago and you can gaurantee he'll fight again before the end of the year.

He's not an elite fighter, he can't take himself seriously so don't know why anyone else would.

crazy statement to make

• Registered Users Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭rob316

crazy statement to make

Depends on what your definition is, to me he's not a top 5 title contender that to me is elite.

• Advertisement

Depends on what your definition is, to me he's not a top 5 title contender that to me is elite.

In my opinion your version of elite is flawed but each to their own.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah he's the guy who loses to the guys I would consider elite (at the UFC level of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed

Cowboy isn’t, and has never been ‘elite’

Is a very game fighter but was never at the top level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Disagree, of course he is top level. Has he been the very best no.

Beersmith wrote: »
    Disagree, of course he is top level. Has he been the very best no.

Sorry now - but who has he ever beaten that’s elite?

His win over Ben Henderson was a bad one for Henderson off the back of losing the title

His win over Alvarez was his first UFC fight and it turns out Alvarez isn’t all that anyway.

He’s a consistent failure when a big fight is put up in front of him.

• Advertisement

So you just give some examples of him beating former champs but just make excuses for those wins. Jasus. Probably most of the champs in history weren't elite either in your eyes. Who the hell is elite then? 2 or 3 fighters in the world and that is it?

So you just give some examples of him beating former champs but just make excuses for those wins. Jasus. Probably most of the champs in history weren't elite either in your eyes. Who the hell is elite then? 2 or 3 fighters in the world and that is it?

Sorry, what?

Ok, go on so - What has he done/who has he beaten to be considered elite? Fighting a million times and being a company-man doesn’t make him ‘elite’ I’d have thought.

Elite = Khabib, Jon Jones, Amanda Nunes, Max Holloway, Daniel Cormier, Henry Cejudo, Demetrious Johnson etc

To be even considered elite you have to have been a Champion imo.

He's lost 6 of his last 10 fights.

He's lost 6 of his last 10 fights.

I’ll half defend Cerrone that he’s obv been past his best for a long time - so even his last 10 fights was past his best.

I was at the fight in Gdańsk against Till and thought Cerrone completely phoned it in.

However, in saying that, he always tossed between wins and losses.

Not ‘elite’

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It looks like everyone is in agreement about Cowboys ability and are only arguing about the definition of elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Is Robbie lawler elite or was he elite , does his last 5 fight record suggest he's headed down the same road as cowboy? His only win in the last 5 was against cowboy too.

Macdarack wrote: »
    Is Robbie lawler elite or was he elite , does his last 5 fight record suggest he's headed down the same road as cowboy? His only win in the last 5 was against cowboy too.

Was

He was a champion and defended it multiple times.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Was

He was a champion and defended it multiple times.

Seems like your definition of elite is if they are champ. Some divisions are more talented than others and my definition of elite is wider than yours it seems. I think your definition is a bit too tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Speaking of Robbie Lawler he will be fighting Ponzinibbio at UFC 245. My money is on Ponzinibbio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

It's ridiculous to think someone is only elite if they win the title.

Elite: a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

Key word their is GROUP.

• Advertisement

Seems like your definition of elite is if they are champ. Some divisions are more talented than others and my definition of elite is wider than yours it seems. I think your definition is a bit too tight.

elite
    /eɪˈliːt,ɪˈliːt/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

I would say all people that are/have been champions should thus be considered 'elite'.

You can interpret the broadness of it, but it starts with Champions/past Champions

PS: I did not say it's only Champions anywhere - Quote it if I did. They were just examples.

Jesus I didn't realize me using the word elite would cause such debate!

Jesus I didn't realize me using the word elite would cause such debate!

Stop - My head is fried. It's mostly because Beersmith is getting ratty and defensive. He hasn't given one reasoning for what he believes to be 'elite' but instead is just nitpicking at words.

Sorry, what?

Ok, go on so - What has he done/who has he beaten to be considered elite? Fighting a million times and being a company-man doesn’t make him ‘elite’ I’d have thought.

Elite = Khabib, Jon Jones, Amanda Nunes, Max Holloway, Daniel Cormier, Henry Cejudo, Demetrious Johnson etc

To be even considered elite you have to have been a Champion imo.

Ridiculous statement.

elite
    /eɪˈliːt,ɪˈliːt/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society.

I would say all people that are/have been champions should thus be considered 'elite'.

You can interpret the broadness of it, but it starts with Champions/past Champions

PS: I did not say it's only Champions anywhere - Quote it if I did. They were just examples.

By this logic Brock Lesner is an Elite MMA fighter. (Which is obviously isn't)

anybody in the top 10 of either weight division is absolutely elite.
    Granted that within that top 10 you will have guys that are just levels better - the super elite if you like.

Stop - My head is fried. It's mostly because Beersmith is getting ratty and defensive. He hasn't given one reasoning for what he believes to be 'elite' but instead is just nitpicking at words.

Wasn't getting ratty at all. I don't HAVE to bow to your demands in my replies. Just stated my case that I don't agree with your strict elite definition. Fine you think the way you do,i just disagree. Happy to leave it at that.

anybody in the top 10 of either weight division is absolutely elite.
    Granted that within that top 10 you will have guys that are just levels better - the super elite if you like.

Personal interpretation of the word 'elite' so.

We'll leave it there so.

boh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

anyone watching?

craig up next

so its a guy with 1ko 10subs 0pts wins v 1ko 8subs 0pts wins

should be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

mailburner wrote: »
    anyone watching?

craig up next