Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photoshop to Illustrator help please

• 24-01-2019 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm a noob to Illustrator. I've been using Photoshop 8 years. I now subscribe to the Creative Cloud package. I'm finding it really difficult to work in Illustrator, even after 3 months.

I'm looking for any general tips to help with this issue. I've created an image with Photoshop, it's a logo with a transparent background (or no background). I want to use this image to place on a 8ft x 4ft background in Illustrator. I have the Illustrator background 8 x 4 ready. My issue is getting the logo on to the Illustrator background without a white background and then I want to be able to enlarge logo without losing quality.

How can I achieve this please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

Firstly, once you start getting comfortable with Illustrator then I'd start getting used to creating your logos in it. You'll find situations like this easy, as well as having no issues with scaling without loss of quality.

On the issue you're having, you can save the logo file as a Photoshop PDF, and then in Illustrator go File -> Place on to your Illustrator 8x4 canvas. Then scale is up/down the same way as you would in Photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭- bo -

Just to add - I don't know just how much of an Illustrator novice you are - but I sometimes keep an eye on this thread and co-incidentally today there is a free Udemy Illustrator beginner course posted up that you may get a few tips from...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,018 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Granted its a good few years since I used Illustrator, but you would really have to be creating the logo in Illustrator. Unless it is a really simple design in blocks of colour you will still have the pixel issue in Illustrator. I would have brought the image into Illustrator then 'traced' it off in layers creating the logo in Illustrator. You have to be careful of not creating any completely enclosed areas that you want to be transparent (like the middle of a letter o) as it will come out white.

Both Photoshop and Illustrator may have developed beyond anything I was familiar with so this may be wrong, but its worth considering. (My biggest Illustrator image was a badge for the middle of a football pitch :) )

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can just copy paste the art from PS to Illustratior. If you’ve been clever and used vector shapes in PS then you’re all set. However if you’ve designed your logo using rastered artwork then it needs to be converted to vector to allow you to scale it without pixelation.

Illustratior can be very different to Photoshop. It requires a different way of thinking. There should be plenty of YouTube introduction videos to get you going. If you can’t figure something specific out just ask.

Advertisement