Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Good man JGF, thumbs up emoji.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Week|Cals|Steps|Water|Drink|Loss|Total
    1|1821|10966|8|0|-2.4|-2.4
    2|2291|9681|10|3|-2.8|-5.2
    3|2219|13250|10|2|-4.2|-9.4

Shocked with the loss this week to be honest. I have made a huge effort with walking and managed to get to the gym last night for the first time in 8 months. I’ll add a column for tracking exercise next week. I can’t remember the last time I dropped weight 3 weeks on a row. Can I make that 4??? :eek: Fri, Sat & Sun weren’t great. Eventually I’ll have to try and reign those in too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 1 = -4.5lbs
    Week 2 = -2.5lbs
    Week 3 = -4lbs
    Week 4 =-1.5lb
    Week 5 = +0.5lb

So after 4 days off plan and 4 days on plan I evened out to a gain of half a pound. I will take that all day long.

Back on it since Tuesday so pushing for 2 losses over the next 2 weeks. Ideally I’d love to lose 4.5lbs or more over the next 2 weeks and that brings me down into the next stone bracket just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,339 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I had a tummy bug from Sunday night right through to Thursday and despite not eating much, with two 24 hour fasts, I still managed to gain weight :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I had a tummy bug from Sunday night right through to Thursday and despite not eating much, with two 24 hour fasts, I still managed to gain weight :confused:

Most likely your body is retaining fluids from being sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

End of week 13ish and I have barely been on here. Working all hours and its really affecting my mood and ability to train. I finish my 13ish weeks this Thursday with a final weigh in and pictures. On the same day I have to submit massive reports by COB with a not a minute late deadline which we have all been working on for months.

Great to see all the updates, its a real motivator. I still haven't had a quality street or a mince pie.

Week 1: -2.9kg/6.4lbs
    Week 2: -0.7kg/1.5lbs
    Week 3: -2.1kg/4.6lbs
    Week 4: -1.1kg/2.43lbs
    Week 5: -0.5kg/1.1lbs
    Week 6: - 1.2kg/2.65lbs
    Week 7: Holiday I didn't weigh in.
    Week 8: -1.7kg/3.75lb (over 2 weeks)
    Week 9: -1.9kg/4.19lbs
    Week 10: -0.9kg/1.98kg
    Week 11: - 1kg/2.2lbs
    Week 12: -1.1kg/2.43lbs
    Week 13ish: -1.9kg/4.19lbs

Cumulative loss over 13ish weeks: - 17kg/37.48lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Well done Jude, that’s a fabulous result.

Great work Jude and good to see you back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

As I have said on here I am doing SlimmingWorld and even though I can see a difference on the scales and in my clothes I couldn’t really see a difference in the mirror. Anyway went out last night and wore a dress that I hadn’t worn since June 2019 - so I decided to do a side by side and was shocked at the results.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Looking fab, Kitten! :D

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    As I have said on here I am doing SlimmingWorld and even though I can see a difference on the scales and in my clothes I couldn’t really see a difference in the mirror. Anyway went out last night and wore a dress that I hadn’t worn since June 2019 - so I decided to do a side by side and was shocked at the results.

Huuugge difference Kitten_K. Pal's of mine swear by slimming world and it seems to be doing great for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Well done kitten_k - that’s a very noticeable difference and you look great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Thanks guys, was good to see it’s actually working!

Well done Kitten_k it’s a huge difference! You’re killing it with SW!! :D

Love the dress too!

It’s definitely working for you KK. You look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Looking fab Kitten K x

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

So I ate and drank everything on sight this weekend :p Hope I haven’t done too much damage. The gym might save me somewhat

First off thanks for all the support on this thread its been great. I have come to the end of my journey, somewhat strangely. I set out with a personal trainer to train from 01 Sept to approx 01 Dec to get in shape. I started at 95kg and had a great time training and my goal was to get to 85kg. It went so well I extended my trainer to 10 Dec. My goal was solely to lose weight and we had pics and body composition BMI/fat % each each week and weigh ins every morning. He had mentioned that there were things called 'transformations' where a client has a big photoshoot before and after type thing but usually after 20 odd weeks but he thinks I should do it, he would get a bonus if I did. I was not mad keen on it but he was so I thought he is a good guy and I'll try and help out. He said that, as shown by pics on the wall, to improve the pics people shaved their body hair and got a spray tan, oh how I laughed 'there is no way I am doing that' I would say over and over.

So with my photo's/transformations this Thursday and me eating very little and training like a loon for pics I don't care about but get him a bonus I receive a voice note. He outlines that the pics are for me.. and if I don't shave off my body hair and get the fake tan he would not get a bonus and he could lose his job. I am balancing this training with an insane workload, billing each 30 mins of each day and 7:30am-7pm hours min. So prior to my second last training this am, as I couldn't sleep with my anger at the message I pulled the plug on my training as I am not willing to shave my body and get a fake tan so he can show his boss some pics. I was willing to do the pics without those things but the emotional blackmail was a step too far. I set out my stall from the outset that I would not be shaving or getting fake tan, if he promised his boss more then its on him.

TLDR; trainer was great, then was unprofessional at the end of a great experience.

Week 1: -2.9kg/6.4lbs
    Week 2: -0.7kg/1.5lbs
    Week 3: -2.1kg/4.6lbs
    Week 4: -1.1kg/2.43lbs
    Week 5: -0.5kg/1.1lbs
    Week 6: - 1.2kg/2.65lbs
    Week 7: Holiday I didn't weigh in.
    Week 8: -1.7kg/3.75lb (over 2 weeks)
    Week 9: -1.9kg/4.19lbs
    Week 10: -0.9kg/1.98kg
    Week 11: - 1kg/2.2lbs
    Week 12: -1.1kg/2.43lbs
    Week 13ish: -1.9kg/4.19lbs

Cumulative loss over 13ish weeks: - 18kg/39.68lbs
    Start weight 95kg
    End weight 77kg

Hope everyone else's journey is going well. See you back here in Jan.

Well done Jude, that is some weight loss and fair play to sticking to it even with everything else you had going on.

Pity it was slightly ruined at the end however as you said that is on him and blackmail is never a good way to conduct yourself!!

Enjoy your Christmas now and we’ll all be back at it in Jan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Amazing work Jude. Truly amazing. 40lbs in a week over 2 months is incredible, you can be very proud of yourself for taking that on in conjunction with a heavy workload and in the run up to Christmas. If your anything like me it'll be about maintaining now ( give or tale a few settling back to normal lbs) which means you can enjoy yourself again... and its well earned too!

Top work fella.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's amazing, Jude. I'm sorry that the experience was soured for you at the end, but that is some achievement!

Firstly Jude well done on the weight loss that was an unbelievable achievement and a lot of hard work with all the training.

Well done for pulling the plug on the last triaing session, there was no need for your trainer to try and force you into anything you weren't comfortable with. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with fake tan and shaving body hair as well. The emotional blackmail is not on especially as a personal trainer he sees you at vulunerable times/states, he should have had a duty of care to you as a client and not pushing you into an uncomfortable senario.

The sad thing is given the weight loss you had, you wouldn't need fake tan or hair shaved, your transformation would look great without.

Yeah, not getting the body shaving & fake tan bit at all. I know i'd definitely not be comfortable with that either so dont feel in any way odd about that, I'd have had no qualms in laughing that off with a solid GTFO!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Well done Jude, that's some going!!
    If you have before photos, you should still do the mini photoshoot at the end, a side by side comparison, just for yourself! I think they're a nice way of seeing how far you've come.

Weight Loss so far:
    Week 1: -1.4lbs
    Week 2: -3.8lbs
    Week 3: +0.6lbs
    Week 4: - 3.2lbs
    Week 5: -0.8lbs
    Week 6: -1.8lbs
    Week 7: -0.6lbs
    Week 8: - 1.2lbs

Back to personal training on thursday and yesterday and it was surpsingl nice to be back - I never thought I'd be the kind of person who looked forward to the gym! Hit one of my personal goals too - I was aiming to improve on my 5k time before Christmas. Previous time was 42ish mins, on Saturday I achieved it in 38:20 so absolutely delighted with that, really really pleased. On track to hit my goals of losing a stone overall before Christmas so it's all going nicely!

Weight Loss so far:
    Week 1: -1.4lbs
    Week 2: -3.8lbs
    Week 3: +0.6lbs
    Week 4: - 3.2lbs
    Week 5: -0.8lbs
    Week 6: -1.8lbs
    Week 7: -0.6lbs
    Week 8: - 1.2lbs

Back to personal training on thursday and yesterday and it was surpsingl nice to be back - I never thought I'd be the kind of person who looked forward to the gym! Hit one of my personal goals too - I was aiming to improve on my 5k time before Christmas. Previous time was 42ish mins, on Saturday I achieved it in 38:20 so absolutely delighted with that, really really pleased. On track to hit my goals of losing a stone overall before Christmas so it's all going nicely!

Just as an aside on the running, if you're using it to increase fitness & stamina & aid weight loss speed isn't the be all & end all. Rather than run faster, try & run for longer distances over a longer period of time, I went from 5k to half marathons in just under a year but noticed I had hit a plateau in terms of weight loss when sticking to the same distances and speed so started to vary it. I'd do a fast 5k every now & again in between some longer runs of 10-15k to mix it up and that worked a treat. Now I'm not saying start going for 10-15k runs, but try & run for a time period, say 45 mins & build it up to an hour, then try the 5k again in a faster time, that way your body doesn't get used to a pace and stops burning calories at the same rate. Its more fun too, as doing the same runs over & over gets borning after a while.

Well done though & keep up the good work.

DvB wrote: »
    Just as an aside on the running, if you're using it to increase fitness & stamina & aid weight loss speed isn't the be all & end all. Rather than run faster, try & run for longer distances over a longer period of time, I went from 5k to half marathons in just under a year but noticed I had hit a plateau in terms of weight loss when sticking to the same distances and speed so started to vary it. I'd do a fast 5k every now & again in between some longer runs of 10-15k to mix it up and that worked a treat. Now I'm not saying start going for 10-15k runs, but try & run for a time period, say 45 mins & build it up to an hour, then try the 5k again in a faster time, that way your body doesn't get used to a pace and stops burning calories at the same rate. Its more fun too, as doing the same runs over & over gets borning after a while.

Well done though & keep up the good work.

I run more for the enjoyment of it really rather than doing it for weight loss! I usually try to run a 2k or 3k in a week and that was my plan on Saturday, but when I was at 2.5k I checked the time and realised I was on track to beat my current time so I just pushed on with it. I used to do the parkruns every Saturday and I really miss them, looking forward to their return next year hopefully.

The stamina part and actually being able to run for longer periods is something I want to work on next year, because I do struggle to actually run the entire 5k without stopping.

Fantastic work Jude13, you deserve a good break :) pity about the trainer at the end, but glad you had a great experience! I nearly signed up for one of those 90 day programmes but the photos at the start for comparing with the finishing results put me off :o

Fantastic work Jude13, you deserve a good break :) pity about the trainer at the end, but glad you had a great experience! I nearly signed up for one of those 90 day programmes but the photos at the start for comparing with the finishing results put me off :o

I did a 6 week programme with before and after photos and thankfully no fake tan or shaving was required but I highly recommend the photographs. They're a great way to see what you've achieved.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    I did a 6 week programme with before and after photos and thankfully no fake tan or shaving was required but I highly recommend the photographs. They're a great way to see what you've achieved.

I agree, they're good to see results, but these pictures would be up on a website for all to see :)

Advertisement