Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

150 animals removed from Dublin petting farm due to welfare concerns https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0428/1212664-animals-welfare/
    why don't they name the place?

Hopefully because there’s going to be legal proceedings against them? It’s named in FB comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

That place announced that it was closing for business late last year. So no visitors to see what was going on. Although having visited the place about 16 years ago, it was not great then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Thank goodness, this is the “breeder” Esmae came from, she was bought by someone who wanted to breed her with their own dog & a complaint was made by neighbors due to the barking. Very thankful to the rescue who took her in & am so happy to have been a failed foster ;)

I’d made a few complaints to relevant authorities detailing some of her behavioural issues and sent in the state of her coat and being riddled with fleas... it’s taken few years & hard work but finally a result :)

Here’s hoping all the poor animals get a much better life for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Tomorrow is the deciding day on whether peach needs surgery or not. I can’t see any difference in her eye after a week of drops, hoping the vet might see a difference but psyching myself up for the fact they most likely will say she’ll need the surgery. I know it’ll be better for her in the long run but it’s such a worry when they’re older. She’ll be 12 this summer. I’ll definitely get them to run bloods first before any surgery though!

Surgery booked for Tuesday morning :( who knew the first to get a face lift in this house would be one of the cats :o

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

My incredibly reactive dog has finally made a new doggy friend. We have been slowly introducing him to my parents 2 dogs, and today for the first time I saw my Milo run around and playing with another dog. I knew deep down that he his reactivity was not aggression but I was also so nervous that maybe he would fight another dog. but watching him play chasing with my dads dog has absolutely made my day and I think a few more walks like this together and we could get to the point when my parents could bring their dogs over when they visit which is the ultimate goal.

Now he still reacted to other dogs we saw, but absolutely perfect with their two. Baby steps I suppose. But I also know now that if another off lead dog does get into his space, even if he is reacting its not going to end in a fight!

• Advertisement

Just back from picking Peach up from her face lift and it all went well thank goodness, so hopefully once it’s all healed up she won’t have any more problems with that eye :o
    Her bloods did show up that she’s in the early stages of hyperthyroidism though so she has to start medication for that. The vet said we caught it super early though, her only symptoms are being more hyper than usual and a bit of weight loss, so hopefully once the meds for that kick in there won’t be any long term affects for her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Glad to hear it SillyMangoX. Good that they have picked up the hyperthyroidism too. My hyperthyroid cat Snowy is back on a low dose of her meds after a rocky couple of weeks. She seems to be tolerating them well again, so hopefully the stomach upset was due to something else entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The comfort of cats when things are hard.

Very unwell and abed and literally they love me and their reliance on me is a strength and a blessing beyond price.

Always a warm furry companion. Always their hunger keeps me mobile.

Just now Jacob is on my pillow; Boycat under the covers....Selkie on the side of the ned...Oliver on my feet. … Bella is my wildchild so out somewhere..

The outside pair are at the door..

Thank you my purrfurfriends! Pearls beyond price,

sunbeam wrote: »
    Glad to hear it SillyMangoX. Good that they have picked up the hyperthyroidism too. My hyperthyroid cat Snowy is back on a low dose of her meds after a rocky couple of weeks. She seems to be tolerating them well again, so hopefully the stomach upset was due to something else entirely.

I think peach is on the lowest dose possible as hers was caught so early and there hasn’t been any side effects thank goodness. We will have to see what her levels are like in a month and they can adjust the dose then if needs be. I’m glad snowy is doing better on her meds now! Is it the liquid or the tablets that you give her?

Just had a food war with Boycat - not sure who won!

He ate food far too fast earlier, as he does at times, so was...." advised" to go outside when he started throwing up from having wolfed. The sound effects.. OH MY!

When he came in later he dramatically turned his nose up at two different kinds of cat food; made it clear he wanted MY cottage pie. He does " I am dying of starvation" sooo well!

I think it is the eyes! See photo!

So I put a small spoonful pf MY MEAL on the cat food dish.. and hey presto! In went the cottage pie followed by the cat food he had despised just before.. Actually I find this technique a great help when a cat is reluctant to eat. A small treat, then they often just go on eating..

• Advertisement

I think peach is on the lowest dose possible as hers was caught so early and there hasn’t been any side effects thank goodness. We will have to see what her levels are like in a month and they can adjust the dose then if needs be. I’m glad snowy is doing better on her meds now! Is it the liquid or the tablets that you give her?

It is the Thyronorm liquid 1.25mg (0.25ml) twice daily. Vet said I could put it in her food as there is no way I can get her mouth open to squirt it in. She was on twice that before her stomach issues started, but we are being being super careful now and seeing how things go for a while before raising it again.

She officially turns 15 in ten minutes. It seems like a lifetime since her mother came into my life and her three kittens arrived soon after. We kept them all. Snowy is the last one remaining. She is curled up on my lap, purring contentedly. Happy Birthday little one.:)

Graces7 wrote: »
    So I put a small spoonful pf MY MEAL on the cat food dish.. and hey presto! In went the cottage pie followed by the cat food he had despised just before.. Actually I find this technique a great help when a cat is reluctant to eat. A small treat, then they often just go on eating..

All my cats always went for the remnants of my cottage pies. If they could just make a cottage pie feline veterinary diet I would have no problems whatsoever getting Snowy to eat. :D

All my cats always went for the remnants of my cottage pies. If they could just make a cottage pie feline veterinary diet I would have no problems whatsoever getting Snowy to eat. :D

lol... The "problem" I have with Boycat is stopping him eating anything he can get at. Years ago a visiting friend was preparing mayonnaise eggs by an open window and in came a stealthy paw.... He robs cake and trifle... Anything sweet. Does me good to see though; at his age especially . Full of energy and affection.

He can no longer deal with eg a whole raw chicken leg so I debone it for him. He is after all over 17 now.

The only really picky cat here is Selkie. She was bone- thin when she came here; a part-Oriental street cat rescue. They were feeding the same Supervalu tinned food I use here and she flat refuses it. Ditto the cheaper dry food . So she gets fed separately on the costlier kibble ( I will not feed kibble to my cats usually) and loves raw chicken. She has filled out nicely .

They are all flat out on my bed! Breakfast was raw chicken thighs...

Like us, they are all different.

Oh I have found, by accident, that one Dreamie will get most cats to eat...seems that once they have started..

About to join my cats in sleep... so cold just now. Yawwwnnn..

It is the Thyronorm liquid 1.25mg (0.25ml) twice daily. Vet said I could put it in her food as there is no way I can get her mouth open to squirt it in. She was on twice that before her stomach issues started, but we are being being super careful now and seeing how things go for a while before raising it again.

She officially turns 15 in ten minutes. It seems like a lifetime since her mother came into my life and her three kittens arrived soon after. We kept them all. Snowy is the last one remaining. She is curled up on my lap, purring contentedly. Happy Birthday little one.:)

Aww happy birthday snowy!! peach is on .25mg twice a day, we’re so lucky she loves the taste of the liquid. She thinks she’s getting a treat, we just show her the syringe and she comes running :D she used to be like that with metacam, absolutely loved the taste of it but now she’s started the thyronorm she was actually disappointed with the metacam :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My dog has turned 17 years and 5 weeks old. He is still in good health. Sleeps a fair bit but that is normal considering his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

One of our much loved cats is missing (whisper: actually our favourite!) - been gone 3 nights now - she came to us as a skeletal feral wreck 3 years ago, never wanders far off the property, mostly indoors and food obsessed. We're on very quiet rural lanes, little traffic and shes quite wary of cars, have left notes in a couple of neighbours doors in case shes locked in a shed - so unlike her to go wandering. Being a cat owner is HARD - theyre such strange individuals

Hope she turns up soon aonb. I know how hard it is. All of my cats went missing at some stage. In two cases they were locked into sheds. Toby even managed to get himself locked into the same barn twice. The other cats could squeeze under the door, but he was too fat to get out.

They all found their way home eventually. Snowy was actually missing the longest-over 3 weeks 12 years ago. She turned up limping and much thinner, but thankfully safe. Hopefully your cat will come home safely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Had the most bizarre and disappointing experience at my new vets. Back to my old vets I go, even though it'll take a bit longer for me to get to them as I'll have to drive.

Long story short, everything I said seemed to be ignored, she just did whatever she saw fit with my dog and didn't really care about anything I had to say or note, even though she asked me. It was all "yes yes, mmm, yes, yes". I had to pay for a follow up consult just to be told my dog is fine, in my old vets when they requested to book you back in for a check up, there was no fee. And also did I want to give him the rabies vaccine and he's not vaccinated against it. :confused:

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

VonVix wrote: »
    Had the most bizarre and disappointing experience at my new vets. Back to my old vets I go, even though it'll take a bit longer for me to get to them as I'll have to drive.

Long story short, everything I said seemed to be ignored, she just did whatever she saw fit with my dog and didn't really care about anything I had to say or note, even though she asked me. It was all "yes yes, mmm, yes, yes". I had to pay for a follow up consult just to be told my dog is fine, in my old vets when they requested to book you back in for a check up, there was no fee. And also did I want to give him the rabies vaccine and he's not vaccinated against it. :confused:

Oh no :( there’s nothing worse than it? I have major what-ifs with Lucy over a vet we saw - and i will question and kick myself forever over taking her there :( I’m not the only one who left that practice although I had one foot out the door already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

tk123 wrote: »
    Oh no :( there’s nothing worse than it? I have major what-ifs with Lucy over a vet we saw - and i will question and kick myself forever over taking her there :( I’m not the only one who left that practice although I had one foot out the door already.

Yeah I'm starting to get question marks with my other dog who is on very expensive medication through them that isn't helping a whole lot. I had 3 days in a row where he was off it (he gets the medication every other day), and I started to see improvements in his ears, now he went back on it and his ears became flared up again. :confused: It doesn't make sense because these meds are meant to stop this from happening.

It's also really not nice to hand off your dog to someone and not see the care they are getting. Even with Covid my old vets still had a way for you to see everything that was happening with your dog, even when you're not in the same room.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

That’s one thing I dread when we move, is changing Vets. Our vets are fab with me and they’ve never fobbed me off, one of the nurses tried that once & was reprimanded by the senior vet.

I also love that they understand my pets different foibles & generally do whatever they can to accommodate them.

em_cat wrote: »
    That’s one thing I dread when we move, is changing Vets. Our vets are fab with me and they’ve never fobbed me off, one of the nurses tried that once & was reprimanded by the senior vet.

I also love that they understand my pets different foibles & generally do whatever they can to accommodate them.

The furthest I’ve driven in a year is 15k each way - Glasnevin to Dun Laoighaire to our old vet for acupuncture lol

After we eventually move, at least we’ll be literally a stones throw to the new vets, in Dun Laoighaire, so I hope they’ll be as great as our current. I’ve heard good things about them & a good friend of my SIL is a vet nurse there.

The furthest I’ve gone in nearly 6 mos is to Chapelizod and back �� I’m sooooo over this pandemic!

It is very hard when you are trying to advocate for your pet and feel you are not being heard. I've actually been through this recently. Was seeing another vet at the practice as my usual one was on leave and though they were doing their utmost to help, I felt that I couldn't really communicate the my concerns about the effect the treatment was having on my cat to them effectively. Saw my usual vet yesterday and although the situation is still difficult I feel so relieved.

aonb wrote: »
    One of our much loved cats is missing (whisper: actually our favourite!) - been gone 3 nights now - she came to us as a skeletal feral wreck 3 years ago, never wanders far off the property, mostly indoors and food obsessed. We're on very quiet rural lanes, little traffic and shes quite wary of cars, have left notes in a couple of neighbours doors in case shes locked in a shed - so unlike her to go wandering. Being a cat owner is HARD - theyre such strange individuals

Any sign of her aonb?

Well it's the beginning of the end for my staffy. He is 17 years and nearly 7 weeks old now. He was in with the vet this evening as he started going to the toilet frequently today. Like a small amount a lot of times. After I came back from the vets he went to the toilet every 10 mins for it must be a hour and a half. I kept bringing him out except one accident I decided to wait 12 mins instead of 10 and he went in the room just before the door to outside.

He got 3 injections in the neck and tablets plus a restock of the steroid tablets he is already on as I only had one tablet left of them.

So who knows how long he has left.

Well it's the beginning of the end for my staffy. He is 17 years and nearly 7 weeks old now. He was in with the vet this evening as he started going to the toilet frequently today. Like a small amount a lot of times. After I came back from the vets he went to the toilet every 10 mins for it must be a hour and a half. I kept bringing him out except one accident I decided to wait 12 mins instead of 10 and he went in the room just before the door to outside.

He got 3 injections in the neck and tablets plus a restock of the steroid tablets he is already on as I only had one tablet left of them.

So who knows how long he has left.

I’m sorry to hear about your dog. What time he has left is in your hands - if you want to do the right thing by him. I’m sorry to be so blunt and I’m at odds even replying here as you threw everyone’s advice back at them a few weeks ago(!) Your dog is suffering.

tk123 wrote: »
    I’m sorry to hear about your dog. What time he has left is in your hands - if you want to do the right thing by him. I’m sorry to be so blunt and I’m at odds even replying here as you threw everyone’s advice back at them a few weeks ago(!) Your dog is suffering.

He is still not suffering he just got a kidney or some such infection is all.

Look I was in with a vet and not once did a vet say he needs to be put asleep. I know the dog too myself. I do know his days are numbered but that time is not yet.

As I said the vet knows far more than anyone on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

So we're now 4 months on from adopting the new cat Totoro and he's settled in really well. Our resident cat seems to have accepted him into the house and they've even snuggled up together on the couch once. But we've never had 2 cats before that were both so energetic (our last cat was an elderly lady and wasn't interested in play at all) and it can be worrying to watch them play fight all the time.
    We've read up on play fighting and have watched videos so we know that once their ears are up, tails and backs aren't puffed out, and the tail stays in it's happy ? position it's probably just play fighting and not real fighting. But our resident cat batters the life out of poor Totoro and I saw her try to bite him this morning. He usually just shakes it off and goes to lie on the floor with his belly out so we know he's not actually hurt. And it's usually him who goes looking for her to play with. She's just really aggressive with him and it scares us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Does anyone else's dog poop in the weirdest of way, my dog will climb backwards up a ditch, half way down the other side...balance on one leg and her ear...do the business... climb out and look at me confidently as if to say...." now pick that one up ya ****er"

Advertisement