Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xiaomi Mi Drone 4k FPV Quad

• 05-07-2017 10:13pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking at this for a few weeks now and my birthday's coming up so my wife's ordered it for me. :)

http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_363299.html

Clip vs the Phantom 4

It seems to have excellent specs like 4k, 4km range, 3 axis, 27 minute flight times and superb video from what I've seen on Youtube.

I got it for 423 euro. Think it's not a bad deal.

Will post footage and findings once it arrives.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

I was walking home yesterday, and saw this drone in the air ( i asked the owner he said it was the xaoimi 4k, not the 1080, so I assume this is the same one?).

He was very happy with it. Personally I was amazed at how high it was and rock steady in some light brezze - coming from a syma €40 this was very impressive to me. He was also controlling from a distance I would never dream of with a syma.

I am thinking of getting this one now! For when you get yours, some questions
    1. At height, can you confirm it is steady in the air ?
    2. Are you ever worried, crap one gust of wind and my drone is gone?
    3. Fun? Camera look good? FPV easy to use?
    Good luck with your drone!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

jogdish wrote:
    I was walking home yesterday, and saw this drone in the air ( i asked the owner he said it was the xaoimi 4k, not the 1080, so I assume this is the same one?).

Nice, I haven't seen one in the flesh yet. If it's the 4k it's the same model. It's currently cheaper than the 1080p model. Maybe to get some visibility amongst quad users.
    jogdish wrote:
    He was very happy with it. Personally I was amazed at how high it was and rock steady in some light brezze - coming from a syma €40 this was very impressive to me. He was also controlling from a distance I would never dream of with a syma.

Yeah, they seem to be excellent flyers. Just over a kilo in weight with a massive battery gives you a large range and makes it steady in the air. I had a Hubsan X501s before. This should be a nice upgrade and that almost flew itself.

jogdish wrote:
    I am thinking of getting this one now! For when you get yours, some questions At height, can you confirm it is steady in the air ? Are you ever worried, crap one gust of wind and my drone is gone? Fun? Camera look good? FPV easy to use? Good luck with your drone!

I will definitely let you know how I get on once it arrives.

Although, flying the h501s, I was never worried about wind, well not huge winds due to the excellent GPS hold, which the mi drone excels in.

I'm guessing it's going to be very simple to use too. Can't wait! Take a look on YouTube of the footage, it looks amazing.

Thanks very much!

So, it arrived, but I'm away at the moment. No issues with tracking or customs. Once it arrived in the UK, it arrived express delivery next day with An Post.

I will post some video when I'm back..

tedpan wrote: »
    So, it arrived, but I'm away at the moment. No issues with tracking or customs. Once it arrived in the UK, it arrived express delivery next day with An Post.

I will post some video when I'm back..

May ask who you bought from? and zero customs you say? Can't wit for your review

Yeah, got it from gearbest, the link above. Think it's even cheaper now.

They ship in bulk from China to a UK hub, then send from there with an Irish an post tracking number. No duty. :) Will be back on Saturday so will more than likely have footage and review by the end of the day 😀

Forgot to say, expect two weeks for delivery.

• Advertisement

So I've had a few short moments to fly the drone today. Have to say it's fantastic, simple to fly, gives great results and I should be creating quality footage soon.

The remote is lovely to hold, simple but does everything you need when coupled with the phone app.

Compass Calibration and the setup took about two hours of messing, updating the firmware before I could take off, but that's all done now so won't take long for future updates.

The battery takes 3-3.5 hours to fully charge.
    The remote control is charged with micro USB connector (Standard Android Connector)
    Excellent Build quality
    The gimbal is awesome
    Switched off the beginner mode to fly further. This can be done immediately which is great!
    The Return to Home is fantastic, it always lands within a metre of where it took off.

You need a good Micro SD card if you want decent results. The maximum specified in the manual is 64GB. Also the included manual is in Chinese, you can download the English one from the Xiaomi site.

Surprises
    No Propeller guards were included
    The optional wireless dongle for transfer between for the remote and phone was included.

Here's a few clips from today. It was windy, the footage was very stable and still has 60% from a single charge. Another battery is on the way, so will be able to make longer videos.

Can't believe it cost 420euro and I think it's even cheaper now.

I've probably missed things, give me a shout if you have any questions.

My Editing software only lets me output to 1080p 30fps. The footage was recorded in 1080p 50fps & 4k 30fps.

Think I may need a new i7 laptop to manage the 4k video editing ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wow, thats very very tempting. You're getting a huge value compared to DJI.

PS: Your dogs are amazing.

ED E wrote:
    Wow, thats very very tempting. You're getting a huge value compared to DJI.

Yeah, very pleased, can't recommend it enough. There are missing things that DJI quads do, but still has lots of cool features and flies flawlessly!
    ED E wrote:
    PS: Your dogs are amazing.

Lol, cheers :) can't live without them!

A short clip of day 2. Still getting used to the quad, simple to fly, Impressed!

@tedpan
    Thanks for the amazing videos and reports.

In your videos the light/white balance seems off. For example the ground seems very dark, and portions of the sky very bright - I assume this is an issue with crap weather? and cloud cover?

How do you find the App to control the drone? How high would you be willing to get it?

• Advertisement

jogdish wrote:
    In your videos the light/white balance seems off. For example the ground seems very dark, and portions of the sky very bright - I assume this is an issue with crap weather? and cloud cover?

Yeah, very little sun and lots of cloud. You can alter the white balance from the remote control right slider. The left slider controls the gimbal pitch.
    jogdish wrote:
    How do you find the App to control the drone? How high would you be willing to get it?

It's fantastic, although more is done on using the remote. The app is straight forward and simple to use.

Make sure to watch the video on 1080p on YouTube to see the best video quality. Obviously YouTube compress the video, the raw video is better.

You can remove the 500m max although I think you can only fly 120m legally. Not sure how high I'd go but will try on a calmer day..

Yeah, very little sun and lots of cloud. You can alter the white balance from the remote control right slider. The left slider controls the gimbal pitch.

It's fantastic, although more is done on using the remote. The app is straight forward and simple to use.

Make sure to watch the video on 1080p on YouTube to see the best video quality. Obviously YouTube compress the video, the raw video is better.

Just after reading around (tested.com) seems an "ND" filter is what you want on top of the lens to even out bright sky / dull ground. They were referencing a DJI drone lens, not sure, can the Xaomi take a lens filter?

jogdish wrote:
    Just after reading around (tested.com) seems an "ND" filter is what you want on top of the lens to even out bright sky / dull ground. They were referencing a DJI drone lens, not sure, can the Xaomi take a lens filter?

Hmmm, had a look, the nd filters can have bad effects on the gimbal. I cant see any specifically for the mi drone either. I'll keep uploading videos to my YouTube channel, not sure the changes in the weather will make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

You can remove the 500m max although I think you can only fly 120m legally. Not sure how high I'd go but will try on a calmer day..

Be careful where you are flying as large areas of Dublin and the coastline are classified as restricted airspace and limited legally to 15 metres!

Another cloudy day, but still lots of fun down the beach :)

Really amazing video! I don't mean this in a bad way, but puts two videos to shame.

jogdish wrote: »
    Really amazing video! I don't mean this in a bad way, but puts two videos to shame.

Yep, getting used to it! My fifth flight :)

jogdish wrote:
    I am thinking of getting this one now! For when you get yours, some questions At height, can you confirm it is steady in the air ? Are you ever worried, crap one gust of wind and my drone is gone? Fun? Camera look good? FPV easy to use? Good luck with your drone!

Are you any closer to a decision on a drone?

I still can't find any local footage of the Phantom 3 SE..

Closer, urm hard to say.

So this is all pre seeing your footage. I had made up my mind to get the phantom 3 std. After reading about poor app and faulty horizons with the xaomi. Then of course I hear the phantom 3 standard has its own app issues, and one set of satellites to hold its position, while the xaomi has two.

Basically I was all over the place, I eventually decided to cool off and wait - the xaomi will be around for a while and if the mavik/phantom 4 dropped I might be tempted.

But honestly after seeing your footage Im very jealous.

• Advertisement

jogdish wrote: »

Basically I was all over the place, I eventually decided to cool off and wait - the xaomi will be around for a while and if the mavik/phantom 4 dropped I might be tempted.

But honestly after seeing your footage Im very jealous.

Cheers!

Yeah, you're better off waiting, the price may even come down in a few months. The gimbal horizon issue seems to be fixed with the latest firmware, although most drones including the Mavic & P4 sometimes are off horizon.

Really pleased with it, will hopefully be able to fly it tomorrow if the weather holds up..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Wow.

That's really cool footage, that definitely could hold its own against any of the much more expensive Phantoms etc.

What is the range like on it?

Rick Shaw wrote:
    That's really cool footage, that definitely could hold its own against any of the much more expensive Phantoms etc.

Cheers! Loving it and that's only 1080p :)

Rick Shaw wrote:
    What is the range like on it?

3-4 Kms. Have seen people going 3.5 Kms on YouTube and even further with controller mods. Not sure if you'd ever need to go that far though!

Really solid, impressive piece of kit.

It's down to 398 on gearbest, might need to buy another one!

arghhhh!!!

And you did not have to pay VAT? was that by chance or its how gear best do things?

jogdish wrote:
    And you did not have to pay VAT? was that by chance or its how gear best do things?

Nope, I used the Ireland express postage - the free option! It ships to the UK warehouse and then ships here with an Irish an post tracking number. Maybe the vat is included as I've never paid duty on anything from that site.

I did get caught in the additional battery, I thought id save 20 euro by ordering from banggood.com and the customs charges were more than that..

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭dedaw

Hi, do you use an iPhone or android device to operate this? Any issues?
    Very tempted!!

dedaw wrote:
    Hi, do you use an iPhone or android device to operate this? Any issues? Very tempted!!

I'm on android, it's very simple to use, great fun and no issues :)

Here's the latest video, with some footage of the drone too.

Mods, is it possible to change the title to include "YouTube footage" to allow other boardsies to share their experiences?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

|Any one have any thoughts on this Quadcopter, and the youtube vids of the battery falling out?

I am thinking of getting one and want to hear if anyone has had it happen to them.

Advertisement