Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A view from the boundary - off-topic discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Inquitus wrote: »
    Windies making good progress bowling in the first innings of the 2nd test 41-3 so far.

Shocking fielding though. England must have about 80 runs more than really should be the case in what could be a tight match.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

England bowling was poor enough, they've done exactly what they did against South Africa, got complacent after a comprehensive win. Saying that, the bowlers haven't had much to defend, England's batting still a mile off the finished article. Needs a Duckett!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

At least this test is looking as if it may last into the 5th day. It's also great to see the Windies having a few good days and some of their players really rising to the occasion. Hopefully signs of a sustained improvement from them

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

England 2 runs ahead, 3 wickets down. Could be setting up an exciting finish. Guess that's down to whether England's middle order surge on, or indeed if the Windies can get through that middle order relatively quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The pitch is still pretty good, the commentators reckon you'd want to defend 270 odd to have a good chance, so a long way for England to go yet 238-4 for a lead of 69, really need Malan, Stokes, Bairstow and Ali to make good contributions to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Is anyone else annoyed at the new cricinfo layout? I really dislike it, I almost never check the website now anymore because of it. It seems like the top third of the page is taken up by toolbars and the actual reading content fills a tiny amount of the page

Is anyone else annoyed at the new cricinfo layout? I really dislike it, I almost never check the website now anymore because of it. It seems like the top third of the page is taken up by toolbars and the actual reading content fills a tiny amount of the page

Dunno why they felt the need for change, it worked quite well as it was.

Wheels have come off a bit, down to Bairstow, Ali and the tail with a lead of only 150.

Edit: The Bairstow wheel has fallen off as well, Ali and the tail, 7 down, 180 lead.

100 partnership between Ali and Woakes in 110 odd balls and the game is completely changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Can't see Windies winning now, pity.

For all their problems at 2,3 and 5, England have a seriously strong team outside of that. Woakes' batting average up above his bowling average now, they'd have lost this test fairly easily without being able to bat so deep.

• Advertisement

Punchy declaration for a change from England. Windies to face 6 overs tonight, chasing 322 to win tomorrow.

Windies could have a sniff here 139-2 just after lunch chasing 322

Windies could have a sniff here 139-2 just after lunch chasing 322

Definitely, both these batsmen pretty comfortable.

Geoffrey's getting a bit worked up on TMS....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Looking like it might be a great final evening of cricket. One or two wickets will change everything though

Beasty wrote: »
    Geoffrey's getting a bit worked up on TMS....

Swanny sounds like he's had a few when he's on.

Will the Windies have a go at looking like they'll be within 100 soon with 8 wickets in hand.

Will the Windies have a go at looking like they'll be within 100 soon with 8 wickets in hand.

I'm an England fan but It'd be great if they did, and pulled it off. Fantastic for World Cricket if they could manage it, and a huge wake up call for England who I think sometimes believe they're better than they actually are.

Thoroughly deserved win for the Windies, fantastic to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Such a perfect result.

England were arrogant as that absurd declaration personified last night.

West Indies on the other hand worked really hard and got a well deserved win.

I'd hope the likes of Hope etc can kick on from here and Root and the England boys take a look at themselves. They still win the series, but this is a reminder they are not as good as they think they are and been hyper aggressive all the time is not the way to go. This team needs to use common sense more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Well I did not see that coming...

I'd have no problem with Root's declaration. You can be sure if Cook was still captain and England batted through the first hour this morning you'd have plenty of people moaning about being too cautious.

I'd have no problem with Root's declaration. You can be sure if Cook was still captain and England batted through the first hour this morning you'd have plenty of people moaning about being too cautious.

Yeah, agree about declaration, but there was/is a bit of general arrogance about England, it was the same after they thumped South Africa 1st Test, they acted like they just needed to turn up in the 2nd Test and got their bums handed to them.

Don't mind the arrogance if they can back it up every time, but they clearly can't, an 80% England team is eminently beatable where as the greats could underperform and still have enough to win.

For all that, it took a superb West Indies display of patience, discipline and skill to win.

You can never please everyone!:pac:

However if Woakes and Broad had batted on or until they were out, they would have likely have not lost the game. A draw would have been considered a disgrace last week, but when they had been outclassed for most of the first four days, it would have been a perfectly acceptable result.

They still would have been in the driving seat going into the third test, but they most certainly aren't right now.

As a Yorkshireman of course I wanted England to win, but if we were going to lose to anyone I'm delighted it was the Windies. They've been struggling badly in recent years but their performance during this match was superb. Hopefully they can continue to re-build, and equally hopefully England will take this as a kick in the backside ahead of the Ashes

Root's declaration was in many ways the icing on the cake - he was prepared to take a risk in the hope of getting the result. I prefer to see more positive results and fewer draws at this level (which fortunately is the way test cricket has gone in recent years)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

To be fair, I heard a lot more people praising Root's declaration yesterday than criticising it.

If a was a good decision yesterday it is still a good decision, regardless of how the Match unfolded since then.

Credit to the West Indies, that was an impressive batting display on a final day pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some fielding sessions are in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Nothing arrogant about the declaration at alll, it was a genuine attempt to go for the win, with the few overs last night before close a pretty solid tactic and then a full day to bowl at headingley on a day 5 pitch to a side who lost heavily last time out by collapsing in both innings

Fair play and congratulations to West Indies for batting all day and giving us a result at the end of a great test match. Sky stats gave them a 1% chance of winning earlier in the day, a fantastic win for them, they could really do with it after the last few years

As a Yorkshireman of course I wanted England to win, but if we were going to lose to anyone I'm delighted it was the Windies. They've been struggling badly in recent years but their performance during this match was superb. Hopefully they can continue to re-build, and equally hopefully England will take this as a kick in the backside ahead of the Ashes

Root's declaration was in many ways the icing on the cake - he was prepared to take a risk in the hope of getting the result. I prefer to see more positive results and fewer draws at this level (which fortunately is the way test cricket has gone in recent years)

It was an incredibly arrogant and stupid call. What was Root's justification?

Had he missed West Indies score 429 or the 3rd innings where England made 490 for the loss of 8 wickets?

Did he genuinely feel that 322 of 96 overs was an impossible target? Its a perfectly achievable score which one could target without having to bat to aggressive.

I'd argue its up there with the Strauss declarations in 2008 in the West Indies which were widely derided.
    They are ahead in the series, so its not as if they need to force the win.

Skid X wrote: »
    To be fair, I heard a lot more people praising Root's declaration yesterday than criticising it.

If a was a good decision yesterday it is still a good decision, regardless of how the Match unfolded since then.

Credit to the West Indies, that was an impressive batting display on a final day pitch.

Thought the declaration was the absolute pits Yesterday tbh also.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Did he genuinely feel that 322 of 96 overs was an impossible target? Its a perfectly achievable score which one could target without having to bat to aggressive.
    I'd be staggered if he did. He dangled the carrot, and they grabbed it. He had 3 bites at the cherry this way, and a hope that Jimmy could plough through them early on. Then there were the dropped catches

He took a risk, and lost as a result. Nothing at all arrogant about it, even if he is a Yorkshireman. That's what sport is about and what makes matches like that so riveting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I guess it would be fair to say that the Windies are everyone's second favourite team.

There is such a sense of magic around The West Indian greats that has vanished in recent years, it would be brilliant to see a new Ambrose or Greenidge emerge and bring the sparkle back to Caribbean cricket.

Advertisement